Review Fosi Audio ZA3: my personal experience

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Witterings

Unfortunately no dac & only have the mini as source. It’s a shame, but I will at least test both amps with the mini’s dac.
When budget allows I'd look at a seperate DAC if you can ... or a WiiM Pro Plus and sell the Mini.
I've recently back to backed various scenarios and the extra cost is worth it as a one off cost if you can that should hopefully last for a long time.

Reactions: Revolutions

Witterings

Sounds interesting. It wouldn't fit into my system, despite having 4 ohm speakers. I have everything but the kitchen sink connected to the Leema.

Thanks

This is the only other downside ... As the ZA3 doesn't have many inputs and no remote I'm a lazy ****** so don't walk to keep getting up and walking across the room to flick the switch from one input to another.
I was hoping to use a WiiM Pro Plus with my AVR into the RCA / Line Input and auto detect between using that or streaming input.
My AVR's output is quite low with the pre-outs so I can't get the ZA3 to a high enough volume so kind of knocked it out for me and makes you question if the 90 watts output may be a bit exaggerated although I do have to have the Arcam at 74 so it is largely my AVR's output that's low.

I very briefly tested the ZA3 against a Denon M39 and I don't think it had any greater output than the Denon with it's 30 watts ... BUT this was a very brief test, I'd like to do it properly at some stage and see if there are any noticeanle differences.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
When budget allows I'd look at a seperate DAC if you can ... or a WiiM Pro Plus and sell the Mini.
I've recently back to backed various scenarios and the extra cost is worth it as a one off cost if you can that should hopefully last for a long time.
I’ve got a dac in my main amp, so the mini is perfect for my needs. I bought the Fosi on a whim because it was so heavily discounted.

Reactions: DougK1
This is the only other downside ... As the ZA3 doesn't have many inputs and no remote I'm a lazy ****** so don't walk to keep getting up and walking across the room to flick the switch from one input to another.
I was hoping to use a WiiM Pro Plus with my AVR into the RCA / Line Input and auto detect between using that or streaming input.
My AVR's output is quite low with the pre-outs so I can't get the ZA3 to a high enough volume so kind of knocked it out for me and makes you question if the 90 watts output may be a bit exaggerated although I do have to have the Arcam at 74 so it is largely my AVR's output that's low.

I very briefly tested the ZA3 against a Denon M39 and I don't think it had any greater output than the Denon with it's 30 watts ... BUT this was a very brief test, I'd like to do it properly at some stage and see if there are any noticeanle differences.
Lack of connectivity will always be an issue. I know I have the dacmagic but even that won't accommodate all my needs.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I forgot to update here- I also wasn’t hugely impressed with the V3 using the WiiM mini with audio out compared to my main amp. It wasn’t terrible, but a once again a significant improvement from the Rega.

As before, it’s not fair comparing a £100 amp to one costing £2000. But was interesting nonetheless. Definitely amazing value for a teeny amp if you don’t need many inputs- I’d like to try the Z3 against some amps around the £500 mark.

Sold it on eBay for £60, free orange knob and all.

The ZA3 mono has now had some reviews, but I won’t link yet more videos here as they get tiresome. The key difference - apart from needing two for stereo - is the circuit that smooths out the HF difference into speakers of various impedances.

When these chip amps were designed that probably wasn’t essential, as many would be used in low-Fi applications, but now folks like Fosi are trying to make them audiophile fodder these things assume more importance. Personally, I doubt I would hear any difference, but younger ears probably would.

Last edited:

Nazim

May 9, 2024
Visit site
I don't still understand why you guys are buying this kind of amps?! It's really weird. At the same time you can buy an Onkyo TX-8260 high current amplifier with amazing 384khz/32bit Premium DAC inside which perfectly plays highest resolution DSD Hi-Res from USB, which has Internet Radios (including TuneIn, Deezer, Tidal, Pandora Amazon etc.), which has amazing smartphone app which controls everything you need, even seeing whole USB folders, tracks, including albums with cover! Onkyo has many inputs, treble and bass control, amazing big display with ability to read songs/artists title, see remain of music, rename inputs the way you want (Marantz, Denon etc.). Adding WiFi and Bluetooth, this high current amp can drive your speakers from 4-16Ohm with massive Bass. Plus many, many other super features just for $250! But you guys decide to buy these (profaniy dleeted by moderation) Chinese "amps" which look terrible and have almost nothing, and cost really expensive for the features they provide! I would pay no more than $30 for those small black ugly "boxes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Gray

.....But you guys decide to buy these shitty Chinese "amps"
😆 You're funny.

People here either already have all that you say the Onkyo provides - or they're not interested in having all that it provides.

What is of primary importance to many is sound quality.
I can't speak for all Chinese hi-fi, but you wouldn't believe how far the Fosi V3 is from your description - in its construction, in the components it uses and, crucially, in its performance.

I'm not sure whether you've actually heard the Onkyo that you speak so highly of....but Its obvious that you haven't heard a Fosi V3.

If you were to compare the sound of the two, I've got a feeling you'd be very surprised.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

I don't still understand why you guys are buying this kind of amps?! It's really weird. At the same time you can buy an Onkyo TX-8260 high current amplifier with amazing 384khz/32bit Premium DAC inside which perfectly plays highest resolution DSD Hi-Res from USB, which has Internet Radios (including TuneIn, Deezer, Tidal, Pandora Amazon etc.), which has amazing smartphone app which controls everything you need, even seeing whole USB folders, tracks, including albums with cover! Onkyo has many inputs, treble and bass control, amazing big display with ability to read songs/artists title, see remain of music, rename inputs the way you want (Marantz, Denon etc.). Adding WiFi and Bluetooth, this high current amp can drive your speakers from 4-16Ohm with massive Bass. Plus many, many other super features just for $250! But you guys decide to buy these shitty Chinese "amps" which look terrible and have almost nothing, and cost really expensive for the features they provide! I would pay no more than $30 for those small black ugly "boxes".
It's pretty loaded statement Nazim, still, diversity of opinion is always good for debste. Onkyo make really good products. I did own the Onkyo 1310 DAC streamer internet tuner. I was getting DSD256. Nice smooth quality in the sound.
I believe I replaced it with Chinese Topping E50. The latter transformed the sound sonically. In a couple of years the Topping was replaced by Chinese Eversolo Z8 DAC and this transformed further the sound quality.
In my previous comment, I had the Fosi D Class amp. It truly is an amazing amp. I had replaced it with the Atoll IN100, there was no comparison. Again one is almost eight times the cost but the little Fosi guy didn't embarrass himself. If anything it just underlines its incredible VFM.

Nazim

May 9, 2024
Visit site
😆 You're funny.

you wouldn't believe how far the Fosi V3 is from your description - in its construction
I'm not sure whether you've actually heard the Onkyo that you speak so highly of....but Its obvious that you haven't heard a Fosi V3.

If you were to compare the sound of the two, I've got a feeling you'd be very surprised.
Because I had Fosi V3, and even an additional piece of called Topping DX3Pro+ DAC. You are enjoying the sound of your speakers, not Fosi V3. In a blind test I bet you would NEVER guess which is Fosi which is a different amp! Onkyo TX-8050 the best sounding budget receiver I ever heard!

(Post edited by moderation.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DCarmi

Glad you like it. However, the Onkyo TX-8050 is around 13 years old and no longer available.

The budget market, has come quite a long way since then, especially with regard to DACs and streaming.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts