Review Fosi Audio ZA3: my personal experience

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Witterings

Unfortunately no dac & only have the mini as source. It’s a shame, but I will at least test both amps with the mini’s dac.
When budget allows I'd look at a seperate DAC if you can ... or a WiiM Pro Plus and sell the Mini.
I've recently back to backed various scenarios and the extra cost is worth it as a one off cost if you can that should hopefully last for a long time.

Reactions: Revolutions

Witterings

Sounds interesting. It wouldn't fit into my system, despite having 4 ohm speakers. I have everything but the kitchen sink connected to the Leema.

Thanks

This is the only other downside ... As the ZA3 doesn't have many inputs and no remote I'm a lazy ****** so don't walk to keep getting up and walking across the room to flick the switch from one input to another.
I was hoping to use a WiiM Pro Plus with my AVR into the RCA / Line Input and auto detect between using that or streaming input.
My AVR's output is quite low with the pre-outs so I can't get the ZA3 to a high enough volume so kind of knocked it out for me and makes you question if the 90 watts output may be a bit exaggerated although I do have to have the Arcam at 74 so it is largely my AVR's output that's low.

I very briefly tested the ZA3 against a Denon M39 and I don't think it had any greater output than the Denon with it's 30 watts ... BUT this was a very brief test, I'd like to do it properly at some stage and see if there are any noticeanle differences.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
When budget allows I'd look at a seperate DAC if you can ... or a WiiM Pro Plus and sell the Mini.
I've recently back to backed various scenarios and the extra cost is worth it as a one off cost if you can that should hopefully last for a long time.
I’ve got a dac in my main amp, so the mini is perfect for my needs. I bought the Fosi on a whim because it was so heavily discounted.

Reactions: DougK1
This is the only other downside ... As the ZA3 doesn't have many inputs and no remote I'm a lazy ****** so don't walk to keep getting up and walking across the room to flick the switch from one input to another.
I was hoping to use a WiiM Pro Plus with my AVR into the RCA / Line Input and auto detect between using that or streaming input.
My AVR's output is quite low with the pre-outs so I can't get the ZA3 to a high enough volume so kind of knocked it out for me and makes you question if the 90 watts output may be a bit exaggerated although I do have to have the Arcam at 74 so it is largely my AVR's output that's low.

I very briefly tested the ZA3 against a Denon M39 and I don't think it had any greater output than the Denon with it's 30 watts ... BUT this was a very brief test, I'd like to do it properly at some stage and see if there are any noticeanle differences.
Lack of connectivity will always be an issue. I know I have the dacmagic but even that won't accommodate all my needs.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I forgot to update here- I also wasn’t hugely impressed with the V3 using the WiiM mini with audio out compared to my main amp. It wasn’t terrible, but a once again a significant improvement from the Rega.

As before, it’s not fair comparing a £100 amp to one costing £2000. But was interesting nonetheless. Definitely amazing value for a teeny amp if you don’t need many inputs- I’d like to try the Z3 against some amps around the £500 mark.

Sold it on eBay for £60, free orange knob and all.

The ZA3 mono has now had some reviews, but I won’t link yet more videos here as they get tiresome. The key difference - apart from needing two for stereo - is the circuit that smooths out the HF difference into speakers of various impedances.

When these chip amps were designed that probably wasn’t essential, as many would be used in low-Fi applications, but now folks like Fosi are trying to make them audiophile fodder these things assume more importance. Personally, I doubt I would hear any difference, but younger ears probably would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts