Panasonic VT50 & ST50 reviews

The GT50 has got an excellent review from What HiFi:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p50gt50

A few early reviews of the ST50 & VT50 suggest that Panasonic has a killer trio this year as well, with the VT50 being given the coveted "reference" status.

Let's see how the competition responds. Both Samsung & LG have been improving on their TVs' performance each year.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Well yes the ST50 gets a good review, not seen one for the VT50 yet though,

Glad ive held off buying a new TV at the moment.

Edit. Found one.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've got a couple more 2012 Panasonic TVs coming through our test rooms soon, will have to check in the office on Monday exactly which ones, but pretty sure we've got an ST and VT on order.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd be very interested to see these three televisions in action side-by-side.

Granted, stats can only tell you so much, but comparing the two reviews the ST50 had less input lag than the VT50 and black levels that bettered last year's VT30, which for an entry level 3D-ready plasma seems quite staggering.

The ST models might represent the best value in Panasonic's 2012 range, with the only real drawback being a lack of THX certification (but is this really a problem, given the excellent greyscale tracking and colour balance results reported)?

I'm wondering if Panasonic even sought THX certification for the ST models, reserving this branding for their mid-to-higher-end televisions. In other words, do we need the THX stamp of approval when tech reviews report accurate results?

It'll be fascinating to find out what the WHF review team think of the ST and VT models, and whether the GT and VT are worth the additional outlay.

Andy Clough said:
We've got a couple more 2012 Panasonic TVs coming through our test rooms soon, will have to check in the office on Monday exactly which ones, but pretty sure we've got an ST and VT on order.

:cheers:

There is no doubt in my mind that both ST50 & VT50 will be great performers. The bigger question will be: is the GT50 worth the extra outlay over the ST50, & is the VT50 worth the premium over GT50?

strapped for cash said:
I'm wondering if Panasonic even sought THX certification for the ST models, reserving this branding for their mid-to-higher-end televisions. In other words, do we need the THX stamp of approval when tech reviews report accurate results?

I agree. Panasonic has to pay a premium to THX for its stamp. It doesn't mean that models not presented for stamping do not meet THX standards. There may be a few features lacking in the ST50, but if the performance isn't affected, it's the bargain model of the year.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
There may be a few features lacking in the ST50, but if the performance isn't affected, it's the bargain model of the year.

Which immediately dismisses the possibility that other manufacturers will steal Panasonic's crown in 2012. ;)

That said, based on what I've read, other manufacturers will have a hard time bettering Panasonic plasmas this year (at least from a videophile's perspective). Samsung will still sell more TVs though...

A

Anonymous

Hey BB, are you considering selling the KRP500 and perhaps getting a VT50? You would still get over £1300 for the Kuro i'd have thought..

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
ooh.. said:
Hey BB, are you considering selling the KRP500 and perhaps getting a VT50? You would still get over £1300 for the Kuro i'd have thought..

Nope. Still don't feel the need for it. :)

I'll hold on until the warranty expires (another couple of years to go).....might consider a VT70 ;)
Nah, by the time that appears OLED should be a viable option, though knowing you you'll give that a little time for standardisation, so i predict a change in 2016
smiley-wink.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Just checked with my colleagues and the next two Panasonic TVs we'll be testing are the Panasonic TX-P42GT50 (the direct replacement for our 2011 TV Product of the Year) and the Panasonic TX-L32ET5. ST and VT models on order.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts