So what did you do on your holiday? Replacement TV search update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
it will be official after 4th November this year. :)

Congratulations!

Is that a UK November wedding?

It is indeed, thanks very much. And BBB, in terms of her taking over my life, we've lived together for 7 years so that horse bolted long, long ago!

Having given it some thought there are a number of arguments I count mount in my favour if I just came home with the TV and didn't consult her first, running in sequence as below:

1) the 5 year warrantee on our Kuro is about to run out

2) look, it really is a better picture, can't you tell?

3) if you press this button you can use it to get on Facebook...

4) I don't care what you say, it's my money and I'll do what I like with it

5) I didn't mean that, please don't leave me!!!

6) Skip options 1 through 5, and just lie about how much it cost....

Other ideas welcome gents (I may need all the help I can get here!)

I used number 1, 2 and 4, though to be fair, she didn't complain at all.

She might say something if I buy another just a few months after the GT50 though.
shifty.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Food for thought, thank you strapped.

As avforums doesn't have a review of the ST I take it there is no single location for a review of all three (or indeed four) panasonics?

As to aerials, I'd spotted the lack of record functionality on the ST, but am I right in thinking you'll get freeview hd via a standard aerial for the ST, while for the GT you can only get freesat HD, ie by busing a satellite? That would rule the GT out for me.

How significant are the extra adjustment options the ST lacks? TPS seem to be getting very excited about how accurate you can get it. They're only a few miles from me and I'd read somewhere (tho I can't find it from them) that they'd do calibration for £100 on top.

I've cobbled together information from various sources, including reviews and threads on AV Forums, HDTV Test, and AVS Forum.

The GT60 has single Freeview HD and Freesat tuners (sorry, forgot to list the Freeview tuner in my summary).

TPS is a Panasonic dealer, so duty bound to wax hyperbolically about every new Panasonic product. The ST is certainly capable of producing very accurate images and shouldn't be discounted on the basis of greyscale tracking etc. From what I recall, gamma is little bumpier on the ST60 even after calibration, though nothing to be unduly alarmed about. You'll get marginally more accurate images from the GT60 and upward, but you'd likely only notice these differences viewing the ST60 next to a calibrated reference TV.

As I say, the ST seems an extremely sound buy; I'm just looking for that little bit extra in terms of overall performance.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:

Congratulations!

It is indeed, thanks very much. And BBB, in terms of her taking over my life, we've lived together for 7 years so that horse bolted long, long ago!

Having given it some thought there are a number of arguments I count mount in my favour if I just came home with the TV and didn't consult her first, running in sequence as below:

She might say something if I buy another just a few months after the GT50 though.
shifty.gif

Have just thought of another option BBB that might just work for both of us - Say nothing, hope she doesn't notice!

I think it's a brilliant plan, but would you mind testing it first and letting me know how it goes? ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

Now get that tv before the wedding, and before she takes control of all aspects of your life, because I can assure you, it will happen.
grin.gif

I'm guessing the soon-to-be Mrs Malarkey doesn't have an aversion to Korean manufacturers; not that this is an issue if he wants a ZT65.

Unless Malarkey moves in elite circles, it's unreasonable to sneak a £4,000 plasma TV onto the wedding list.

But if the wedding list was made up entirely of £20 Comet Vouchers??? Could go a long way towards the cost. :)

You'd be better off with John Lewis vouchers; and sorry for misspelling your name! :oops:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

Now get that tv before the wedding, and before she takes control of all aspects of your life, because I can assure you, it will happen.
grin.gif

I'm guessing the soon-to-be Mrs Malarkey doesn't have an aversion to Korean manufacturers; not that this is an issue if he wants a ZT65.

Unless Malarkey moves in elite circles, it's unreasonable to sneak a £4,000 plasma TV onto the wedding list.

But if the wedding list was made up entirely of £20 Comet Vouchers??? Could go a long way towards the cost. :)

You'd be better off with John Lewis vouchers; and sorry, I didn't spell your name correctly! :oops:

I like your thinking strapped - John Lewis vouchers could be used for anything, so very practical and no arguments on the day!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
I like your thinking strapped - John Lewis vouchers could be used for anything, so very practical and no arguments on the day!

I was thinking about free warranties, aftersales service and return policies, but your proposed covert approach surely clinches it!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:

Congratulations!

shifty.gif

Have just thought of another option BBB that might just work for both of us - Say nothing, hope she doesn't notice!

I think it's a brilliant plan, but would you mind testing it first and letting me know how it goes? ;)

grin.gif

As I'm working away 5 days a week, and my wife would accept the delivery, it's going to be difficult.

I'll let you try, as it's your idea.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I find it interesting how Steve Withers has said the GT60 is much brighter than the GT50 but has not done a side by side comparison. And most people have found the GT50 too bright this year and ended up turning down the brightness. I do wonder how people will find the GT60, personally the brighter the better I think. The Samsung certainly looked bright from the video clip.

Brightness is supposedly the Samsung's biggest selling point, but it can only go really bright by slightly compromising black level.

All TVs I listed would be bright enough for my requirements. It's most important to me that the TV I buy doesn't have a glaring fault.

I really want to get it right this time, which is why I've become so obsessive about researching my purchase.

mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

grin.gif

Then those vouchers would be worthless.....considering Comet isn't trading anymore! :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
Food for thought, thank you strapped.

As avforums doesn't have a review of the ST I take it there is no single location for a review of all three (or indeed four) panasonics?

As to aerials, I'd spotted the lack of record functionality on the ST, but am I right in thinking you'll get freeview hd via a standard aerial for the ST, while for the GT you can only get freesat HD, ie by busing a satellite? That would rule the GT out for me.

How significant are the extra adjustment options the ST lacks? TPS seem to be getting very excited about how accurate you can get it. They're only a few miles from me and I'd read somewhere (tho I can't find it from them) that they'd do calibration for £100 on top.

I've cobbled together information from various sources, including reviews and threads on AV Forums, HDTV Test, and AVS Forum.

The GT60 has single Freeview HD and Freesat tuners (sorry, forgot to list the Freeview tuner in my summary).

TPS is a Panasonic dealer, so duty bound to wax hyperbolically about every new Panasonic product. The ST is certainly capable of producing very accurate images and shouldn't be discounted on the basis of greyscale tracking etc. From what I recall, gamma is little bumpier on the ST60 even after calibration, though nothing to be unduly alarmed about. You'll get marginally more accurate images from the GT60 and upward, but you'd likely only notice these differences viewing the ST60 next to a calibrated reference TV.

As I say, the ST seems an extremely sound buy; I'm just looking for that little bit extra in terms of overall performance.

Fully understood about TPS, although some of his findings re calibration are pretty objective so something I can have some faith in. His photos, for example, are a little more suspect. If I did decide to go with the ST I could also visit the guy and see what I make of him.

I don't really know what 'bumpier gamma' translates to in real-life terms. When I bought the pioneer I bought the best tv available (would have been better to wait a year in hindsight). I couldn't afford to do that now, nor would I be able to get a TV in my favoured size of 55". Panasonic stopping plasma production after this generation makes a decision rather more pressing, as I suspect we're looking at 3-5 years before size/performance/price are close to comparable with OLED. If there are QC problems with the ST I may be better of with £1500 in my pocket over that time. If not, the ST may be the way to go for me.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Fully understood about TPS, although some of his findings re calibration are pretty objective so something I can have some faith in. His photos, for example, are a little more suspect. If I did decide to go with the ST I could also visit the guy and see what I make of him.

I don't really know what 'bumpier gamma' translates to in real-life terms. When I bought the pioneer I bought the best tv available (would have been better to wait a year in hindsight). I couldn't afford to do that now, nor would I be able to get a TV in my favoured size of 55". Panasonic stopping plasma production after this generation makes a decision rather more pressing, as I suspect we're looking at 3-5 years before size/performance/price are close to comparable with OLED. If there are QC problems with the ST I may be better of with £1500 in my pocket over that time. If not, the ST may be the way to go for me.

I think it's perfectly safe to buy from TPS, and probably a good idea if you plan to get your TV calibrated, since TPS charges £99 for calibration if you buy the TV from there.

I don't think there are QC issues with the ST60; it's just not quite as good as the GT60, based on the data. Last year the ST range arguably made the most sense, because you could achieve near reference colour without putting up with the GT50 & ZT50's brightness cap and higher MLL using the Professional presets. Panasonic has sorted that problem this year.

I haven't seen any of these TVs in action yet and any differences are perhaps almost imperceptible. I may still buy an ST60, even though it's not top of my must audition list.

I'm guessing you'll rule out the GT60 on the basis of size (50" is too small), while the 55VT65 is quite a bit more expensive.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

grin.gif

Then those vouchers would be worthless.....considering Comet isn't trading anymore! :grin:

Erm, yep - that would be an extremely good point you've made there BB.. :oops:

D

Deleted member 2457

No one tempted by this then:

https://www.electricalexperience.co.uk/product.php/8118/00?source=google-adwords&gclid=CP3ehqu3yrYCFUXJtAodokYAqg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
gel said:

https://www.electricalexperience.co.uk/product.php/8118/00?source=google-adwords&gclid=CP3ehqu3yrYCFUXJtAodokYAqg

That's not far from me... How much better is it than ST60 and how much higher are the risks of DSE and other problems?

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
gel said:

That's not far from me... How much better is it than ST60 and how much higher are the risks of DSE and other problems?

Hi Ben

John Lewis will price match this too. I don't know in terms of performance what is what against the ST60, but I do know this is one hell of a TV. In terms of problems some have reported none, I don't have any.

D

Deleted member 2457

Put next to the ZT, on the YouTube clip I couldn't see much difference.

I demoed the VT50 in John Lewis the other day, it beat anything near it by a country mile.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
BenLaw said:

John Lewis will price match this too. I don't know in terms of performance what is what against the ST60, but I do know this is one hell of a TV. In terms of problems some have reported none, I don't have any.

I think the risk of getting a DSE afflicted set is reasonably high. I'm watching the golf and the vertical bands are very distracting.

You could give it a go and get a refund if the set has problems. Just hang on to the Pioneer until you know you're happy.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
BenLaw said:

I think the risk of getting a DSE afflicted set is reasonably high. I'm watching the golf and the vertical bands are very distracting.

You could give it a go and get a refund if the set has problems. Just hang on to the Pioneer until you know you're happy.

I'm going to pass. The main reason is that I don't feel mentally prepared to throw down the notes for such a big purchase, and I don't buy things of this magnitude on impulse. Some people wll have been biding their time for this price; I'll leave it to them. Besides, I've read that some people on Avforums rate the ST60 over the VT50, so any differences can't be huge or there may even be an improvement.

My car has nearly 150k miles on it and needs some expensive work doing, so I'm looking at getting a new one in the next few weeks. I suspect I'll wait to see how much money I actually have after that and July's tax bill before considering committing to a TV.

Any idea when JL will have stock of Pannys in? How soon after that do they want you to make a decision (if you know)?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
BenLaw said:

Agreed. Wish I had.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
At the moment I don't know which Panasonic TVs JL will stock.

As explained to me, the sales guys are attending a Panasonic conference this week and will confirm stock details after the 26th. I'm guessing I'll need to make a move soon after. There's no official deadline on my options, but JL's good will can't last forever.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'm going to pass. The main reason is that I don't feel mentally prepared to throw down the notes for such a big purchase, and I don't buy things of this magnitude on impulse. Some people wll have been biding their time for this price; I'll leave it to them.

FWIW, I think that's the right call. The risk of getting a VT50 with problems is too high.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I just read David Katzmaier's ST60 review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

Cnet describes the ST60 as "our strongest TV recommendation ever," though of course there's no US GT range this year and the VT60 (US is 60 rather than 65) is much more expensive.

I'm still most interested in the GT60 and VT65, though the ST60 looks an excellent value 55" option.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I just read David Katzmaier's ST60 review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

Cnet describes the ST60 as "our strongest TV recommendation ever," though of course there's no US GT range this year and the VT60 (US is 60 rather than 65) is much more expensive.

I'm still most interested in the GT60 and VT65, though the ST60 looks an excellent value 55" option.

Interesting, really detailed review, and agree it looks like a great option. Noted the criticism of the 3D performance, I'm not sure wether to be concerned about. Don't currently watch 3d at home (apart from on the bedroom telly when the BBC were showing some 3d content in the Olympics, and the free 'Megamind' BluRay that came with the BluRay player) but would be nice to have the option and the review states 3d performance is worse than last years models.

Anyone else worried by this, or am I just fretting about something that in reality I'll probably never actually use so won't be a problem?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts