So what did you do on your holiday? Replacement TV search update

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ben in particular was interested, so I thought I'd explain where I'm at.

It's probably easiest to summarise what we now know about the contenders (based on reviews, rather than direct experience at this point). Excuse me if I'm repeating information you all know. I'm guessing most have worked through recent Panasonic plasma reviews.

55ST60

In terms of black level and overall contrast, the ST60 improves on last year's Panasonics, and the vertical banding issue is apparently fixed.

The ST60 has a more subtle colour management system and can be more accurately calibrated than the ST50.

Input lag is a problem on the ST60, measuring higher than all 2012 Panasonic plasmas. I'm a very occasional gamer, though this is possibly a deal-breaker for some.

While it's relatively inexpensive for more screen acreage, the more expensive Panasonic plasmas offer bigger gains in terms of picture performance. I also use the Freesat platform. The ST60 doesn't have an integrated Freesat tuner, so I'd need to buy a PVR to watch TV with decent reception. The HDD PVR option is also absent from the ST range this year.

The 55ST60 is a safe bet, but I'd suffer from GT/VT envy.

50GT60

HDTV Test's new reference TV (the GT60, VT65, and ZT65 are not yet reviewed by this website).

Goes notably blacker than last year's Panasonics. Most importantly, black levels are consistent across all picture presets, including fully adjustable Professional and Custom modes. The brightness cap on prior Panasonic plasmas is no longer in place. This means we can finally mix reference greyscale and colour with reference contrast performance (or at least so close to reference as to be inconsequential).

Has full 10 point greyscale and gamma adjustment controls.

Like the ST, the vertical banding issue is apparently fixed, or at least not evident at this stage of the television's life. There's no guarantee that uniformity problems won't appear later on, though I guess you can say this of any TV.

Has a single integrated Freesat tuner and basic PVR functionality.

50VT65

Matches the GT60 in terms of black level, but can't go as bright. However, the VT65's screen filter is more effective for bright room viewing and pictures are still bright enough. Like the GT60, black levels are consistent across picture modes and there's no luminance cap.

The VT65 has the new red phosphor, meaning the TV can fully saturate red (unlike preceding Panasonic plasmas).

The 50Hz bug is apparently fixed on the VT65. According to the guys over at AV, the VT65 bests the GT60 in terms of motion performance, with less dynamic false contouring, noticeable dithering, etc...

Has dual Freeview HD and Freesat tuners. Add an HDD and you've got a great PVR (as far as I can tell, timer recording is possible, but not series link).

Has beefier (side mounted) speakers. According to reviewers, the VT65's sound performance is better than other Panasonic plasmas and flatscreens in general. I'm not expecting sonic fireworks, but it'd be nice to have a semi-decent sounding TV for general viewing.

This is the luxury option and to be honest the front-runner.

51F8500

Samsung has definitely stepped up this year, but black levels only rival last year's Panasonic's and are unstable. The screen filter is reportedly supremely effective.

Certain niggles with previous Samsung plasmas persist, notably brightness pops, though they're less frequent and severe than last year. There are early reports of horizontal banding.

Samsung's image processing is reportedly excellent; and the TV resolves SD images better than Panasonic plasmas, based on what I've read.

Like the VT65, the F8500 has dual Freeview and Freesat tuners, which is nice.

Input lag is a problem on this TV, so it's perhaps a no go for serious gamers.

The short version is that, while Samsung has made great strides with the F8500, Panasonic has moved further forward. As always, the proof will be in the auditioning. I now have to wait until local stores have all these TVs in stock.

D

Deleted member 2457

Welcome back - good stuff.
smiley-smile.gif

I see AVForums have been adding videos to their reviews too, quite interesting to watch them too. ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BB. It's not inconceivable that I'll reach different conclusions post-audition.

Thanks Gel. I enjoyed the GT60 video. Who knew it would turn out to be a rabbit! :grin:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this strapped, interesting reading. When you say the ZT65 can't go as bright as the GT, is that a consensus view among early reviewers? If so, is it a settings limitation or a result of the different manufacturing process used on the ZT65 panel?

mr malarky said:
Thanks for this strapped, interesting reading. When you say the ZT65 can't go as bright as the GT, is that a consensus view among early reviewers? If so, is it a settings limitation or a result of the different manufacturing process used on the ZT65 panel?

No, he meant the VT65.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:

Rather than a consensus, it's based on ANSI readings of 72 cd/m2 (55VT65) and 90 cd/m2 (50GT60). There's only one VT65 review so far and the 72 cd/m2 reading is specific to the 55". The 50VT65 may go marginally brighter, as in principle it shouldn't be as power hungry.

The VT's more aggressive filter is definitely a factor, though there are panel differences that may also affect brightness and contrast.

I think it's important to note that the VT65 should be bright enough for enthusiasts; it's just not as bright as the GT60.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the ZT65 will be awarded reference status when it's eventually reviewed.

This inevitable award has no bearing on my decision, as I can't afford a ZT. Not that I'm suggesting others shouldn't be interested...

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this both of you. It's the studio master panel aspect of the ZT that intrigues me (ie the different construction method), and whether this results in a visible step up in picture quality. Very keen to see one in the flesh.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I'm sure the ZT65 will be awarded reference status when it's eventually reviewed.

This inevitable award has no bearing on my decision, as I can't afford a ZT. Not that I'm suggesting others shouldn't be interested...

don't think I can afford one either, and certainly don't 'need' one, but being honest with myself I do want one!

D

Deleted member 2457

Interesting the GT60 has the best black levels out of all the above. Apart from probably the ZT of course.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
mr malarky said:
My mistake (he does actually say VT, I jut wasn't paying attention!)

probably because I'm mentally pre-occupied with how to justify buying a ZT65...

There'a a Mrs Malarky then.
smile.png

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Interesting the GT60 has the best black levels out of all the above. Apart from probably the ZT of course.
smiley-smile.gif

Although AV Forums qualified publication of the data by acknowledging that the TVs were tested in different environments. The GT60 and VT65s reviewed were also different sizes, which perhaps further complicates any comparison.

I'm very keen to compare the GT60 and VT65 side-by-side. Thing is, you'd only spot a difference in black level in a light controlled environment looking at professionally calibrated TVs. I also don't think it's possible to detect such minor differences in black level by eye. The brightness/ANSI contrast discrepancy is more striking in my view.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
mr malarky said:
My mistake (he does actually say VT, I jut wasn't paying attention!)

probably because I'm mentally pre-occupied with how to justify buying a ZT65...

There'a a Mrs Malarky then.
smile.png

There is indeed, and it will be official after 4th November this year. :)

Congratulations!

Now get that tv before the wedding, and before she takes control of all aspects of your life, because I can assure you, it will happen.
grin.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Food for thought, thank you strapped.

As avforums doesn't have a review of the ST I take it there is no single location for a review of all three (or indeed four) panasonics?

As to aerials, I'd spotted the lack of record functionality on the ST, but am I right in thinking you'll get freeview hd via a standard aerial for the ST, while for the GT you can only get freesat HD, ie by busing a satellite? That would rule the GT out for me.

How significant are the extra adjustment options the ST lacks? TPS seem to be getting very excited about how accurate you can get it. They're only a few miles from me and I'd read somewhere (tho I can't find it from them) that they'd do calibration for £100 on top.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

Now get that tv before the wedding, and before she takes control of all aspects of your life, because I can assure you, it will happen.
grin.gif

I'm guessing the soon-to-be Mrs Malarkey doesn't have an aversion to Korean manufacturers; not that this is an issue if he wants a ZT65.

Unless Malarkey moves in elite circles, it's unreasonable to sneak a £4,000 plasma TV onto the wedding list.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
it will be official after 4th November this year. :)

Congratulations!

Is that a UK November wedding?

It is indeed, thanks very much. And BBB, in terms of her taking over my life, we've lived together for 7 years so that horse bolted long, long ago!

Having given it some thought there are a number of arguments I count mount in my favour if I just came home with the TV and didn't consult her first, running in sequence as below:

1) the 5 year warrantee on our Kuro is about to run out

2) look, it really is a better picture, can't you tell?

3) if you press this button you can use it to get on Facebook...

4) I don't care what you say, it's my money and I'll do what I like with it

5) I didn't mean that, please don't leave me!!!

6) Skip options 1 through 5, and just lie about how much it cost....

Other ideas welcome gents (I may need all the help I can get here!)

D

Deleted member 2457

I find it interesting how Steve Withers has said the GT60 is much brighter than the GT50 but has not done a side by side comparison. And most people have found the GT50 too bright this year and ended up turning down the brightness. I do wonder how people will find the GT60, personally the brighter the better I think. The Samsung certainly looked bright from the video clip.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Congratulations!

grin.gif

I'm guessing the soon-to-be Mrs Malarkey doesn't have an aversion to Korean manufacturers; not that this is an issue if he wants a ZT65.

Unless Malarkey moves in elite circles, it's unreasonable to sneak a £4,000 plasma TV onto the wedding list.

But if the wedding list was made up entirely of £20 Comet Vouchers??? Could go a long way towards the cost. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts