ZRMN995

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Hello,
another thread with well known title but help me please, because as a newcomer to hifi world, I became exhausted roaming internet, reading many reviews as they leave me confused..
Long story short I'm planning to buy LS50 Metas for my living room and use them for listening to music (primary choice) and watching TV (not a big emphasis on this one).

I've read wide variety of reviews and I have quite a few choices in front of me. What I want from amp is ability drive Metas decently, to connect it to my TV (hdmi), to have a sub connectivity option if I go that way somewhere down the road and of course, some streaming options like bluetooth, apple airplay, spotify or something like that.
Also, since my room isn't treated maybe some room correction software implementation would be good.
You get the feeling for budget available from my choices.

Based on your knowledge and experience, what'd you pick between;

Cambridge audio EVO 75
Cambridge audio EVO 150
Marantz 40n
NAD M10 V2
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Please, don't recommend any other as this is already too much information and choices for a newbie like me.

Another thing I've read, that it'd be better to go with R3 metas in the first place for better and fuller bass or go with active version LS50 Wireless II, forget about the amp and don't cry about not having room correction software, so, another confusion here..

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
You don’t need room correction and won’t sort out major issues any how as long as you don’t live in glass cube and you follow basic audio setup guidelines you will be fine. I certainly wouldn’t narrow my list down because it doesn’t include it. I know you don’t want the list adding to but you would be remised of you not to include naims uniti atom just because it doesn’t have room correction.

Sorry to say I don’t think any body here will have any experience with that whole list let alone just one of them using them with your speaker of choice . If you’re spending that sort of money go and listen to them and see if you can have a home demo of them or at least give the dealers a call. They know them inside and out the hear them every day.

What I will say is there will be very little difference between the Cambridges streamers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Symples
The Wireless LS50meta is the obvious choice given your requirements, and it has some room/placement correction on the app by which you control it. Are you going to use the matching stands, because if not they will perform well below their potential?

The piece of missing information is why you chose the LS50? If you say that you’ve not actually heard them, then you know what my answer will be!

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I'm only going to advise about the types of products you have on your list, all of them are all in one streamer, dac, Amplifier units, as I'm sure you're well aware, just think about two or three years down the line, if you get a bit bored and feel like a change or one feature on the unit fails, you will have no option but another streamer, dac, amp or a total reinvestment from source to amplification,
oh and I have a friend who just bought the meta's, he heard them with a Electrocompaniet eci 80d in his local shop in Glasgow, he purchased both in that moment, he already owned one of the Gato amps and the dynaudio special 40's, at around twice the price of the meta / Electrocompaniet combo. Some food for thought, although it's probably not what you want to hear.lol. Sorry.

Reactions: WayneKerr

ZRMN995

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for answers, I'll make sure to read those one more time.

I've had an opportunity, short one tho, to hear Metas live but unfortunately I don't know what they were paired with. Also, we've had some KEF's in family long ago so I'm kinda attached to the brand. I also like the looks to be honest.

Whichever speakers I choose I will have them mounted on KEF's stands.

I've attached a picture of my living room (furniture positions are approximate, will change slightly). Unfortunately, the room is as close to a glass cube as it can get (two big windows on the left side, one huge glass window+door behind me. POV is from a listening position.

Attachments

• IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 14
I'm only going to advise about the types of products you have on your list, all of them are all in one streamer, dac, Amplifier units, as I'm sure you're well aware, just think about two or three years down the line, if you get a bit bored and feel like a change or one feature on the unit fails, you will have no option but another streamer, dac, amp or a total reinvestment from source to amplification,
oh and I have a friend who just bought the meta's, he heard them with a Electrocompaniet eci 80d in his local shop in Glasgow, he purchased both in that moment, he already owned one of the Gato amps and the dynaudio special 40's, at around twice the price of the meta / Electrocompaniet combo. Some food for thought, although it's probably not what you want to hear.lol. Sorry.
Good advice about choosing by listening with support from a dealer!

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
another thread with well known title but help me please, because as a newcomer to hifi world, I became exhausted roaming internet, reading many reviews as they leave me confused..
Long story short I'm planning to buy LS50 Metas for my living room and use them for listening to music (primary choice) and watching TV (not a big emphasis on this one).

I've read wide variety of reviews and I have quite a few choices in front of me. What I want from amp is ability drive Metas decently, to connect it to my TV (hdmi), to have a sub connectivity option if I go that way somewhere down the road and of course, some streaming options like bluetooth, apple airplay, spotify or something like that.
Also, since my room isn't treated maybe some room correction software implementation would be good.

Cambridge audio EVO 75
Cambridge audio EVO 150
Marantz 40n
NAD M10 V2
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Please, don't recommend any other as this is already too much information and choices for a newbie like me.

Another thing I've read, that it'd be better to go with R3 metas in the first place for better and fuller bass or go with active version LS50 Wireless II, forget about the amp and don't cry about not having room correction software, so, another confusion here..
I am skeptical about acoustics with a coaxial driver; in my opinion, they are overpriced, and their capabilities are no better than regular speakers with separate drivers. Apart from possible repair problems, there have been several threads on this forum about defective coaxial drivers.

Reactions: JDL and WayneKerr

matthewpianist

You need to organise a home audition with a good dealer. It's not an ideal room, but you have what you have, and as I've found it is possible to achieve great sound in any room if you choose the right speakers.

I had a pair of LS50 Meta when they first came out, and I have to say I think they're over-rated. They need pushing very hard at quite high volumes before they open up, and even then I personally didn't find them particularly engaging. They do work for some people, and they may work for you, but listening to them in your room is the only way to truly find out. A good dealer will be able to suggest alternatives to try at the same time, but in your room I would also be considering the Wharfedale Lintons on the dedicated stands.

Out of your suggested amps, I would personally be most interested in the NAD M10 v2, but I would echo suggestions that you add Naim to your considerations. I have also heard the Cambridge options but not the Lyngdorf. I personally have no issue with everything being in one box. The thoughts expressed by @skinnypuppy71 are of course valid, but good manufacturers regularly update their firmware and make reliable kit.

Reactions: The_Lecht_Rocks
On KEF stands the Wireless version will be an easy choice. You can connect a sub later, if you need to, and your TV etc can be connected. Get a dealer demo using your phone and/or tablet to try out the control options.

(I owned pre-meta LS50 and used the powerful amp I already had. If I had to choose from your list, then the Cambridge EVO150 would be my preference.)

I am skeptical about acoustics with a coaxial driver; in my opinion, they are overpriced, and their capabilities are no better than regular speakers with separate drivers. Apart from possible repair problems, there have been several threads on this forum about defective coaxial drivers.
As with most concentric loudspeaker designs, the bass/mid cone is used as a waveguide, which helps focus the higher frequencies more to the listening position, so you hear more of the speaker and less of the room. Conventional speakers with the HF unit mounted flat in the front produce a wider dispersion which means you’ll have higher frequencies bouncing around the room more.

On top of this, they produce a proper point source, producing more precise imaging, better off axis performance, and far less inter-driver phase issues.

There are no defective drivers. What you’re seeing is either abuse, or long term stress on the driver playing outside of their comfortable limits.

Reactions: nopiano
Thank you all for answers, I'll make sure to read those one more time.

I've had an opportunity, short one tho, to hear Metas live but unfortunately I don't know what they were paired with. Also, we've had some KEF's in family long ago so I'm kinda attached to the brand. I also like the looks to be honest.

Whichever speakers I choose I will have them mounted on KEF's stands.

I've attached a picture of my living room (furniture positions are approximate, will change slightly). Unfortunately, the room is as close to a glass cube as it can get (two big windows on the left side, one huge glass window+door behind me. POV is from a listening position.
The left hand one will sound different to the right hand one, as it’ll be sitting more into a corner while the other one is more in free space. I‘d bring the system to the right if possible So the left hand speaker sits this side of what I presume is a radiator? Or is it just a feature?

There are speakers that will deal with the room better than the LS50 but I see you want to stay on the KEF path. For that reason, I’d look at the LS50 Wireless as previously mentioned. These will have controls in the app to help deal with different rooms, and the amplification will be plenty enough for them.

If you’re going to end up buying a hefty amp for them, I’d also consider the LS60.

Reactions: nopiano

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
As with most concentric loudspeaker designs, the bass/mid cone is used as a waveguide, which helps focus the higher frequencies more to the listening position, so you hear more of the speaker and less of the room. Conventional speakers with the HF unit mounted flat in the front produce a wider dispersion which means you’ll have higher frequencies bouncing around the room more.

On top of this, they produce a proper point source, producing more precise imaging, better off axis performance, and far less inter-driver phase issues.

There are no defective drivers. What you’re seeing is either abuse, or long term stress on the driver playing outside of their comfortable limits.
In theory, yes. In practice, in a blind test you are unlikely to prefer coaxial speakers

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Does a blindfold stop you hearing the benefits of controlled dispersion?
What I mean is that the concept of coaxial speakers sounds better in theory than traditional ones, but in practice you won't get the benefit. But you will get problems if you need repairs :)

Coaxial speakers have other disadvantages that the manufacturer is silent about. For example, the Doppler effect or intermodulation. Apparently, the disadvantages offset the advantages and, as a result, it is impossible to gain a decisive advantage.
that makes little sense to me, unfortunately, if they were seriously flawed then nobody would use them but manufacturers have been successfully selling them for yearsw without issue.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
that makes little sense to me, unfortunately, if they were seriously flawed then nobody would use them but manufacturers have been successfully selling them for yearsw without issue.
If you want to measure the success of a technology by this criterion, then suffice it to say that products with coaxial speakers occupy only a few percent of the speaker market share.

Gray

If you want to measure the success of a technology by this criterion, then suffice it to say that products with coaxial speakers occupy only a few percent of the speaker market share.
Well you seem to be suggesting that the small market share is because it's a flawed technology.

Speakers using transmission lines are in the minority.
Is that a flawed technology?

Speakers using AMT tweeters are in the minority.
Is that another flawed technology?

Those two examples, together with coaxial technology are just means to an end in speaker design.

If anything was as flawed as you're suggesting (if its disadvantages really did outweigh its advantages) then it wouldn't be used at all.

Last edited:

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Hello,

Cambridge audio EVO 75
Cambridge audio EVO 150
Marantz 40n
NAD M10 V2
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

I know you said only consider the above options however, I’m a really awkward annoying person. 🙂 (I’m sure others will confirm,)

You’re going for an amp with a built in streamer, they do seem rather expensive for what you get and you are stuck with the supplied software even when new streaming providers pop up. The alternative is an external streamer plus amp with internal DAC. The Wiim Mini streamer costs under £100 and has a bit perfect digital out. It is also tiny and has an excellent app for iOS, and I assume Android. It is cheap and easily replaced if for some reason a new sooper dooper streaming tech appears.

I use an AudioLab 6000a amp with a Wiim Mini and LS50 Meta in a 4m by 5m room. It produces an incredibly realistic sound, quite amazing. Shops like Seven Oaks do a speakers plus amp deal that is a steal, if you have one nearish to audition. I spent under £1,600 for everything. There are other excellent amps with a high quality internal DAC available.

However, no-one here agrees with anyone else, so you’ll hear diverging viewpoints …

Gray

I know you said only consider the above options however, I’m a really awkward annoying person. 🙂 (I’m sure others will confirm,)

You’re going for an amp with a built in streamer, they do seem rather expensive for what you get and you are stuck with the supplied software even when new streaming providers pop up. The alternative is an external streamer plus amp with internal DAC. The Wiim Mini streamer costs under £100 and has a bit perfect digital out. It is also tiny and has an excellent app for iOS, and I assume Android. It is cheap and easily replaced if for some reason a new sooper dooper streaming tech appears.

I use an AudioLab 6000a amp with a Wiim Mini and LS50 Meta in a 4m by 5m room. It produces an incredibly realistic sound, quite amazing. Shops like Seven Oaks do a speakers plus amp deal that is a steal, if you have one nearish to audition. I spent under £1,600 for everything. There are other excellent amps with a high quality internal DAC available.

However, no-one here agrees with anyone else, so you’ll hear diverging viewpoints …
No divergence from me.
It makes sense to do what you've done.

Although far from the one-box options the OP listed, maybe he could even go for a DAC like the SMSL SU-1 to go, unobtrusively and inexpensively, with the Wiim.....into the best (possibly DACless) amp of his choice.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
No divergence from me.
It makes sense to do what you've done.

Although far from the one-box options the OP listed, maybe he could even go for a DAC like the SMSL SU-1 to go, unobtrusively and inexpensively, with the Wiim.....into the best (possibly DACless) amp of his choice.
Sounds good, if he finds a DAC-less amp he prefers.

Yes, far from the one box solutions, as I said I thought that was an expensive approach. But it’s not my money.

Reactions: Gray

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Well you seem to be suggesting that the small market share is because it's a flawed technology.

Speakers using transmission lines are in the minority.
Is that a flawed technology?

Speakers using AMT tweeters are in the minority.
Is that another flawed technology?

Those two examples, together with coaxial technology are just means to an end in speaker design.

If anything was as flawed as you're suggesting (if its disadvantages really did outweigh its advantages) then it wouldn't be used at all.
You are absolutely right! Transmission and AMT are technologies... that you can do without, without compromising sound quality :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts