Building a vinyl system around some KEF LS50 speakers (wired) – advice sought.

limeplasterer

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I’ve got a pair of KEF LS50 speakers (wired) and would like to build an ‘analogue’ system for my vinyl collection by adding a turntable and integrated amp. I’m a newbie to this so forgive my lack of insight. Done a bit of background research and whittled down my choices, on paper:

Rogue Cronus Magnum III (I love the look and sound of valves but the Rogue’s tricky to get hold of in the UK) OR a Yamaha AS1200 (cheaper, readily available, well regarded but without the ‘valve allure’). Turntables – either a Planar 6 or 8, would the ‘jump’ from the 6 to 8 be worth it, given the speaker and amp candidates?

I face a common dilemma – what the combination of different products, which have good individual reviews, sound like and how they would work together: sound testing in shops that don’t hold all the kit is tricky at best. I’m unsure if some of these items would potentially ‘out class’ others in the chain (the Planar 8 for example) and the how the combination(s) of these amps / KEF’s / turntables would work in the real world. Any advice much appreciated.

Some time ago I was very interested in the Rogue Audio Sphinx hybrid integrated but got a very good deal on the amp I now have.
As you say dealers are very few and far between which isn't going to help if you ever have issues with said amp.
The Yamaha is a good choice.
Personally I would go for a Rega turntable these days even though I used to have the original Planar 3.
There's so much more in the way of competition now.
I believe your speakers need a good amp with plenty of power so I might reconsider the valve amp route.
What sort of budget did you have in mind for amp and for turntable?

Reactions: limeplasterer

limeplasterer

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks - for the amp and turntable 1.5 - 2.5K each (both the amps I've listed apparently have plenty of 'headroom' to drive the KEF's which is why I chose them ). Music wise I listen to a lot of Jazz: 1930-60's.

Having demoed the LS50s a few years ago, IMHO these KEFs prefer amplification on the smoother side of neutral. Regardless of tonal quality, it must be punchy as the speakers can be demanding of amps. However, I would look for an amp with a built-in phono stage as this will save any additional faffing around.

Regards turntables @Al ears suggestions seem good to me.

Having demoed the LS50s a few years ago, IMHO these KEFs prefer amplification on the smoother side of neutral. Regardless of tonal quality, it must be punchy as the speakers can be demanding of amps. However, I would look for an amp with a built-in phono stage as this will save any additional faffing around.

Regards turntables @Al ears suggestions seem good to me.
Agreed.
Both the OPs quoted amplifiers do have an inbuilt phono stage.

limeplasterer

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions - the other amp option I'd considered was a Marantz PM8006. The Gyro SE looks stunning (with the brass weights) but seems a comparatively older design to the Planar 8 - is the Gyro the better deck (it's obviously pricier) ?

Thanks for the suggestions - the other amp option I'd considered was a Marantz PM8006. The Gyro SE looks stunning (with the brass weights) but seems a comparatively older design to the Planar 8 - is the Gyro the better deck (it's obviously pricier) ?
I would say yes, it also gives you options for different tonearms but that's secondary to the choice of cartridge. It's certainly more flexible when it comes to future upgrades.

The PM8006 is discontinued, and I’d choose a new Model 30 instead. That has had great reviews, includes a phono stage and has a Hypex class D design which ime suits the LS50. I owned a pair and used them on my Primare I32 amp with great results.

View: https://imgur.com/FM36pKP

daytona600

Music wise I listen to a lot of Jazz: 1930-60's.
Assume you will require 78rpm & Mono
3 speeds 33/45/78
you might require variable speed ( no record was ever cut @ 78rpm but 70-90rpm )

Technics SL1200GE/R or Project RPM
with 3 Ortofon cartridges mounted in 3 headshell
1 x 0.7mil stylus - 33/45 modern records
1x 1.0mil stylus - 33/45 50/60s Mono records
3 x 3.0mil stylus - 78 Mono

nn6 ortofon-2M-premounted-carts-hifi-news-april-2023-feat-768x432.jpg

0.7mil is Suitable for Reissue Monaural LP and a Mono LP of after 1960.
1.0mil is Suitable for the Monaural LP of a deep groove of the first press of the 1950s.
However, both styli can trace the monaural LP of all generations without a problem.
When you listen to the monaural LP of all generations, we recommend 0.7mil.
When you listen to a monaural LP of the first press of the 1950s mainly, we recommend 1.0mil.

3.0mil usually ideal for 78rpm mono records
A mono cartridge is mechanically different from a stereo cartridge. Simply switching a stereo cartridge to mono does not work perfectly. Despite what manufactures claim mono switches invariably add the two channels by simply shorting the two channels together, even very" expensive units do this. Hiend units can sum the two channels with extra electronics to eliminates the vertical response and improve the signal to noise by 3dB. However even summing does not provide the ultimate, a cartridge designed for mono, with a single coil and no vertical movement reduces surface noise, vertical noise and fits the groove properly.

.pp12.jpg

Last edited:
Music wise I listen to a lot of Jazz: 1930-60's.
Assume you will require 78rpm & Mono
3 speeds 33/45/78
you might require variable speed ( no record was ever cut @ 78rpm but 70-90rpm )

Technics SL1200GE/R or Project RPM
with 3 Ortofon cartridges mounted in 3 headshell
1 x 0.7mil stylus - 33/45 modern records
1x 1.0mil stylus - 33/45 50/60s Mono records
3 x 3.0mil stylus - 78 Mono

View attachment 5258

0.7mil is Suitable for Reissue Monaural LP and a Mono LP of after 1960.
1.0mil is Suitable for the Monaural LP of a deep groove of the first press of the 1950s.
However, both styli can trace the monaural LP of all generations without a problem.
When you listen to the monaural LP of all generations, we recommend 0.7mil.
When you listen to a monaural LP of the first press of the 1950s mainly, we recommend 1.0mil.

3.0mil usually ideal for 78rpm mono records
A mono cartridge is mechanically different from a stereo cartridge. Simply switching a stereo cartridge to mono does not work perfectly. Despite what manufactures claim mono switches invariably add the two channels by simply shorting the two channels together, even very" expensive units do this. Hiend units can sum the two channels with extra electronics to eliminates the vertical response and improve the signal to noise by 3dB. However even summing does not provide the ultimate, a cartridge designed for mono, with a single coil and no vertical movement reduces surface noise, vertical noise and fits the groove properly.

.View attachment 5259
I assumed his music might be from that era but on modern vinyl as, if he needed 78rpm, why would he be looking at Rega decks?
Mono cartridge might be required I guess

limeplasterer

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I assumed his music might be from that era but on modern vinyl as, if he needed 78rpm, why would he be looking at Rega decks?
Mono cartridge might be required I guess
Yes mostly modern reissues, but would like to get some of Charlie Parker's original 78's - so the cartridge issues I was totally unaware of (thought I'd need a gramophone!).

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS