Technics SA-C600 + KEF LS50 Meta - Reasonable pairing?

jreferreira

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Hey there,

What Hi-Fi's review of the Technics SA-C600 (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sa-c600) mentions that the amp is competent enough to drive KEF's LS50 Metas. The Technics is rated at 60W per channel at 4 Ohms but the KEFs have a nominal impedance of 8 Ohm, so in reality it would be delivering about half that power.

This still falls within the recommended power by KEF (25 to 100W), but from what I've been reading around the speakers are notoriously hard do drive. Has anyone tried this particular pairing? How much of the KEFs performance would I be sacrificing with this amp? Would I just be losing volume, or also everything else that the Metas are well regarded for?

My listening room, for reference, is not super large (around 6m x 5m) and the Technics would be extremely convenient for me, which is why I'm considering it ;)

Thanks!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
My biggest problem with the metas is the ls50 wireless 2.

In all honesty your starting to creep in to the price bracket for them and I hazard a guess will sound better with the level of amplification your looking at with more room filling power on tap.

To bring the standard meta up to par and better the wirless you’ll be spending lot more

Do you need a cd player is the question?

Just my opinion take it for what’s it’s worth. But food for thought

jreferreira

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Appreciate the reply!

Yeah, I need both a cd player and a phono input (for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo), both of which are supposed to be pretty decent in the Technics SA-C600. The system really does fit all my needs, I just fear that it doesn't do the KEFs justice and I'm wondering if I shouldn't pick something else in the same range. But the great things I read about them everywhere really make me want to buy a pair :grinning:

Fandango Andy

Hey there,

What Hi-Fi's review of the Technics SA-C600 (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sa-c600) mentions that the amp is competent enough to drive KEF's LS50 Metas. The Technics is rated at 60W per channel at 4 Ohms but the KEFs have a nominal impedance of 8 Ohm, so in reality it would be delivering about half that power.

This still falls within the recommended power by KEF (25 to 100W), but from what I've been reading around the speakers are notoriously hard do drive. Has anyone tried this particular pairing? How much of the KEFs performance would I be sacrificing with this amp? Would I just be losing volume, or also everything else that the Metas are well regarded for?

My listening room, for reference, is not super large (around 6m x 5m) and the Technics would be extremely convenient for me, which is why I'm considering it ;)

Thanks!
Are you staring from scratch, or do you already own one of these products?

jreferreira

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Heya,

Just the turntable, the rest I have yet to buy.

I am building a second system, to have in a dedicated room, and I would like it to sound significantly better than what I have now (Denon PMA-500AE + Pioneer PD-S707 + Thorens TD 166 MkII + Wharfedale Diamond 220). I would like to spend around 2500€ on it, and this combination of the Technics + KEF + Pro-Ject fits all my needs (CD player + vinyl + streaming) for close to that price. And, individually, all the components seems to have widely good reviews. That said, I am open to suggestions :)

Instead of the LS50 Metas I have also been considering some small floorstanders. Perhaps I would be better served with something like the Dali Oberon 5s? They seem easier to drive, from the specs.

Thanks!

Instead of the LS50 Metas I have also been considering some small floorstanders. Perhaps I would be better served with something like the Dali Oberon 5s? They seem easier to drive, from the specs.
I think you would be better with floorstanders in that sized room, unless you want more music as background/wallpaper. The Dalis are less fussy and easier to place.

Have you heard either? I’d be using a 100wpc amp with the KEFs as they are not very sensitive, but sound great in a dedicated setup.

Reactions: jreferreira

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Appreciate the reply!

Yeah, I need both a cd player and a phono input (for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo), both of which are supposed to be pretty decent in the Technics SA-C600. The system really does fit all my needs, I just fear that it doesn't do the KEFs justice and I'm wondering if I shouldn't pick something else in the same range. But the great things I read about them everywhere really make me want to buy a pair :grinning:
If thats the case, yes, id look to a different brand or with in KEF other "cheaper" ranges like the q350 or move up to that ranges floor stander or spend the rest on some decent stands or put the money into a more powerful amp and cd player combo. With a system (technics) of that price point id be looking to spend a lot less on speakers and some that are far easier to drive. Probably no more than 500 in honesty.

They are "great" speakers (meta's) when driven really well, despite the on paper spec's, they're still a bit of pig to drive in the real world. Not as bad as the older version but still.

Again just me and very much my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreferreira

Fandango Andy

Heya,

Just the turntable, the rest I have yet to buy.

I am building a second system, to have in a dedicated room, and I would like it to sound significantly better than what I have now (Denon PMA-500AE + Pioneer PD-S707 + Thorens TD 166 MkII + Wharfedale Diamond 220). I would like to spend around 2500€ on it, and this combination of the Technics + KEF + Pro-Ject fits all my needs (CD player + vinyl + streaming) for close to that price. And, individually, all the components seems to have widely good reviews. That said, I am open to suggestions :)

Thanks!
Can you listen to the system before buying? See if you like the sound.

I'm not a massive fan of the one box solution, but the Technics has been we'll reviewed. The only question on the KEFs, is do you have room for them. They need a good pair of stands and plenty of room around them.

On a tangent you call it a second system. That implies you are keeping the othe system. The weak link there looks like the Denon. If you are spending all this money on a new system, why not see if you can make the best of the other one. Try upgrading the amp for a Merantz PM6007. It will also drive the KEFs if you ever feel like playing around with the two setups.

jreferreira

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Regarding space it's not a problem, I can keep them comfortably around 50cm from the back wall and 2m from the side ones. As for the stands I have these ones (which I was using at some point with some Q Acoustics):

I find them decent, I think they shouldn't hamper the KEFs too much. You mention the only question on the KEFs is the matter of the space and stands. Do you then mean that, power-wise, the Technics will be fine to drive the speakers without losing too much performance?

Can you listen to the system before buying? See if you like the sound.
Unfortunately not, unless I buy the equipment and then return it ;)

The weak link there looks like the Denon. If you are spending all this money on a new system, why not see if you can make the best of the other one. Try upgrading the amp for a Merantz PM6007. It will also drive the KEFs if you ever feel like playing around with the two setups.
Yeah, my current system is in the living room, but as that's where everyone (wife et al) and the TV are I can rarely just sit down and listen to music in peace :grin: So I'm building the second one to install in my studio, where I can actually do that, heh. I agree that the Denon isn't great, but for the purpose it is currently serving it's OK enough :)

TRENDING THREADS