Question speakers for electrocompanient eci 80d, better alternative to kef ls50 meta

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

janul

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I meant live. In person. As it happens!

But that Chesky record should be good too because the Chesky brothers were great at playing and recording others. They often used venues like churches, so all the ambience is real, not an artefact.

Ok I will throw more of the chesky to the system and will see.

Sorry, your recomendation about to going to live venues in order to "reset expectations of natural sound" I do not understand. Can you please explain, how this could help me to admit what I told is a problem?

gasolin

Wharfedale Linton 85th Heritage

You can have triangel comete ez or triangel genese trio, my Titus ez are very comfortable in the highs despite some say triangel can be to much, might want the comete or one of there floorstand like antal ez if you wanna play loud in a big room

MONITOR AUDIO GOLD 100 5G

Dynaudio evoke 10, might be alot brighter than triangle but would give you more clarity than most speakers

Ok I will throw more of the chesky to the system and will see.

Sorry, your recomendation about to going to live venues in order to "reset expectations of natural sound" I do not understand. Can you please explain, how this could help me to admit what I told is a problem?
I could have expressed it better. I know I welcome such an experience if I’ve listened to lots of recordings. I was concerned you were finding your speakers lacking, when the recordings are the likely culprit.

If you want something different, try to hear some Wharfedale Lintons.

janul

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
I could have expressed it better. I know I welcome such an experience if I’ve listened to lots of recordings. I was concerned you were finding your speakers lacking, when the recordings are the likely culprit.

If you want something different, try to hear some Wharfedale Lintons.

I have a friend with the Electrocompaniet eci80d, also had the kef meta at first, he's now on a pair of triangle comete 40th anniversary, he's also tried a set of kef r3 meta
and sent them back, he keeps coming back to the triangles,
Thank you for your interest and recomendations. Yesterday I tried Proac d2 d, proac d20 d, dynaudio contour 20s. The proac dt8 must be quite a bit better behaved speaker under the eci 80d because d20 d bass was boomy and out of control using electrcompaniets own DAC. Switching to something like Lumin T3 sorted things considerably but not to the level of being the bass ok. This is about 5K dac and I certainly will not buy it for this amp. Yes the comparision was done against 5K accuphase E280 but the difference in bass controll was night and day.
With dynaudios it was even worst, no contest here at all, incredibly boomy.
With d2 d the result was ok, however I am still not sure if the bass was ok, I was tired already so have to go one more time to see. I did not expect this as the review says that it was tested on atc acm 50 also. Or is my and seller view mistaken?
Speaking to electrocompaniet support they also suggested not to use the amp with "very difficult" speakers. Based on the review I did not expect to have a lot of care with averadge to dificult to drive speakers.
I bought this amplifier also because of its refinment in subtle details so I do not want lintons.
Yes I expect he will drive triangles well (it would be pateticly funny already if not). But I do not want triangles because they add a bit too much color to sound for my taste and I do not like their look. Will try to drive the d2 d once again, xavian perla, aria, ambra with "some dac" at about 1K (thinking about soecris 1421) And thats it! If not, good buy and never again.

Reactions: nopiano
Do you mean ProAc DT8, rather than d2 d?

These?

I don’t really like the ribbons on ProAc, much as I had wanted to, and yes, I’ve found the bass boomy. I rejected D20R in favour of ATC SCM40 seven years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: janul

janul

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
Do you mean ProAc DT8, rather than d2 d?

These?

I don’t really like the ribbons on ProAc, much as I had wanted to, and yes, I’ve found the bass boomy. I rejected D20R in favour of ATC SCM40 seven years ago.
Yes I meant these.
Regarding ribbons I am not sure, maybee later but now I am pretty much ok with capabilities of softdomes. I have heart in the past audiovectors qr and first think which jump to me was the sound of tweeter and I could not identify why, so from that time I am carefull.
Well, yesterday I did finish my post with quite a bit strong saying "if, than never again". Today listening at home, electrocompaniet is defending him self absolutely well. I have to say its soundstaging with kef ls50 meta, and instrument separation, detail retrival is very nice. It seems like it is a bit different animal from naim (which realy is kind of like conect and done) this one requires a bit more attention to show what he can do. Room, speakers placement, speakers selection, good cables(I really feel like this is must). I will deffinitely give this amp more time. I mean he plays ok, but when I give him more attention he revards me well. Its soundstaging is really impressive, and I cant stress this enaugh. Thinking about this, haeving richer tonality and more dynamics on top of what he already does is not possible for 2,6 K EUR.
And yeah, PMC twenty5 21s could be interesting upgrade from ls50 metas, I was originaly looking for something with more traditional built, but why not try.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts