Kef ls50 meta cone cracking

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Replacement is relatively easy apparently, 6 screws behind the logo ring on the outer surface of the face and then spade connects. Regarding the damaged drivers I am not expecting to see any visible damage as the speakers have played perfectly during the whole episode and without pointing out the damage you really wouldn't know there had been any . They sound as good as new or my ears have deteriorated to a point where I can't here anything different 😄🦻
You may have stumbled across a new cone design. All it needs for Kef to test it and incorporate it in the latest model.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Final update to this thread,speakers arrived to day and fitted with no issues. All now working fine.
Would like to put on record my thanks and appreciation to Beverly and Andy at KEF, for accepting my comments in good faith, that I genuinely did not believe that I had overdriven the speakers and they had definitely not been thwacked. Andy20220802_171424.jpg20220802_171311.jpg was particularly surprised after suggesting I get a subwoofer, when I informed him I already had an SVS PB2000 sub on my system.
Anyway, all now working fine, hopefully no more hiccups in the future. Would like to thank all for your valued comments Even the ("It must have been thwacked") ones. Though if I had knowingly damaged the speaker I would never have broadcast it on a thread. Also like to thank Matt Spandl at Acoustic Energy for recommending the glue ,which worked really well 😀.

Attachments

• 20220802_174154.jpg
    20220802_174154.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Final update to this thread,speakers arrived to day and fitted with no issues. All now working fine.
Would like to put on record my thanks and appreciation to Beverly and Andy at KEF, for accepting my comments in good faith, that I genuinely did not believe that I had overdriven the speakers and they had definitely not been thwacked. Andy was particularly surprised after suggesting I get a subwoofer, when I informed him I already had an SVS PB2000 sub on my system.
Anyway, all now working fine, hopefully no more hiccups in the future. Would like to thank all for your valued comments Even the ("It must have been thwacked") ones. Though if I had knowingly damaged the speaker I would never have broadcast it on a thread. Also like to thank Matt Spandl at Acoustic Energy for recommending the glue ,which worked really well 😀.
Glad it turned out as it did for you in the long run and always good to see people named when they have been helpful

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Coaxial speakers don't make much sense in home audio. Otherwise, this loudspeaker acoustic design scheme would displace others on the market

But if the speaker breaks down, there may be problems with repairs

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Coaxial speakers don't make much sense in home audio. Otherwise, this loudspeaker acoustic design scheme would displace others on the market

But if the speaker breaks down, there may be problems with repairs
Why do they not much make sense in home audio? Please explain.

If it breaks down why should there be any more problems with repairs than with a conventional two driver speaker? Again, please explain.

If you're going to make sweeping statements then you need to explain what is the basis for them, such as proof or examples, or state if it is just your personal opinion or bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Why do they not much make sense in home audio? Please explain.

If it breaks down why should there be any more problems with repairs than with a conventional two driver speaker? Again, please explain.

If you're going to make sweeping statements then you need to explain what is the basis for them, such as proof or examples, or state if it is just your personal opinion or bias.
try repairing a coaxial speaker and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for saying that a coaxial speaker doesn't make sense in home audio, I already answered, but you didn't pay attention. In such cases, you should always pay attention to the situation in the audio market as a whole. The percentage of audio systems with a coaxial speaker is insignificant, and this fact is directly related to what I said above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts