Question Need advice on new stylus for Ortofon VMS30MK2 mk2

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I have had a ORTOFON VMS30MK2 for several years but never used.The cantilever has collapsed so am thinking about possibly replacing the stylus with a D30mk2 HS shibata stylus from Thakker eu.
The cost will be about 180 euros,my question is this ,I already have quite a few other cartridges that I frequently install on my Michell Transcriptors Reference with Hydraulic arm
AT 540ML,AT VM95SH,ORTOFON 540MK2, ORTOFON MC10SUPER, SHURE M97XE ,do you think the purchase of this stylus will offer something that my current cartridges don't. The turntable is connected to an Arcam r phono preamp and then to a Vincent sv-237mk amp with either kef ls50 meta speakers or Acoustic Energy AE500'S and a SVS PB2000 PRO subwoofer. I believe that the cartridge is a good match for my arm so am willing to invest if I can expect good results
Thanks

Gray

Without doubt it will offer you something different.....but whether you like the difference compared to all of your others....
I've still got a VMS-20E somewhere.
You may well be aware that the VMS types were more affected by cable / input capacitance than most (HF gets attenuated with too much capacitance).

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Without doubt it will offer you something different.....but whether you like the difference compared to all of your others....
I've still got a VMS-20E somewhere.
You may well be aware that the VMS types were more affected by cable / input capacitance than most (HF gets attenuated with too much capacitance).
I had the VMS 20E installed in the arm of a BSR Quanta 700 in the 80s. I found it rather luck lustre and from reviews it reinforced my criticism. I exchanged it for an AT95E and the sound had more sparkle

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I had the VMS 20E installed in the arm of a BSR Quanta 700 in the 80s. I found it rather luck lustre and from reviews it reinforced my criticism. I exchanged it for an AT95E and the sound had more sparkle
Yes I like the AT-95E, still got a couple on different inherited turntables. No wonder it was so popular for decades. I'm on the VM E version on my Thorens / Rega now, not sure I could justify the price of its ML stylus for my current (lack of) turntable use though.

camcroft

Yes I like the AT-95E, still got a couple on different inherited turntables. No wonder it was so popular for decades. I'm on the VM E version on my Thorens / Rega now, not sure I could justify the price of its ML stylus for my current (lack of) turntable use though.
The whole AT VM95ML cartridge doesn't cost much more than the stylus so its a no brainer £148 but on the other hand the whole cartridge is cheaper than most Nagaoka stylus's. I know we are not talking about the Nags but it is still a valid point

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts