Speakers for Arcam SA-30

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I contacted richer sounds and they suggested auditioning the b&w 606s3, Dali opteron2 mk2 and focal 906. I reckon the fyne audio f501 and triangle borea br08 may be worth it as well as Q acoustics 5040. Unfortunately no revel m16 to try, which you can get for a bargain £400 on eBay. They do interest me.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well I had a chat with richer sounds today. They have Fyne Audio F501 speakers on offer for £799 and a 14 day return policy.
Basically they said that for £1k or less, it would be difficult to get better speakers, so this way I can try them at home and see how they are. If no joy then I can return them.
Another thing that’s been suggested is to try playing a special Spotify track to determine if the speakers are in phase, because apparently it’s possible that the amps speaker terminals may have been soldered the wrong way around at the factory. Imagine that’s unlikely, but worth a shot

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

....apparently it’s possible that the amps speaker terminals may have been soldered the wrong way around at the factory. Imagine that’s unlikely, but worth a shot
You're right to imagine it being unlikely.
Hopefully every amp gets a soundcheck (or at least a sinewave passed through it) - in which case such an error wouldn't leave the factory.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
Thanks,
Always best to buy something you can actually audition or at least return if they don't suit.
Cannot really help here as never heard your amp but generally it's more important to get the right speakers for your room rather than speakers that may work well with a particular amp in the right room.... Or indeed are other people's suggestions
Ever thought of bigger Amphions?
The Amphion 3S will give you extra oomph. That said, the 1s give out ample LFs in my system and room. And the Leema is meant to be leaner than some other brands.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Having owned Arcam amps they work well with a number of speakers: Monitor Audio Silver or Gold, Focal, PMC, Usher....
I can add QA to that list.

I've had good results with mission aswell particularly with one of my favourite budget speakers of yesteryear the mission mx3s.
A hidden gem which still suprise me now when up against the much pricier speakers I've had and got.
So sweet melodic and pleasing.
It does seem Arcam very compatible with various makers.

The only speakers I've had that didn't seem to partner up well were "Dali oberon 5" I hastily got rid of.
But that's more an issue with me not liking the Dali sound.
I demoed a few and owned a set and just never liked their sound despite knowing they are a quality speaker.

I agree with a prior post "speakers must be demoed" they have one if not the biggest effect on sound second to the amp itself.

I've only once bought blind with only Google reviews etc to stumble around and I was lucky I guess.

As for phase issues to quickly check simply connect a 9v battery to your terminals to the right polarities and both speakers should extend outwards if correct or inwards if not.

It's a commonly much used method and won't damage your speakers as it's well within operating voltage.

If your still thinking the amp terminals are soldered in reverse then use the test tracks in Google under "speaker phase test tracks"

There's a few to choose from.

If it sounds wrong invert the phase (swap the wires round) to see if it's indeed the problem.

I know most manufacturers now label their speaker wires to prevent phase issues but I've done it before on longer runs of wire when the cable is sparsely different.

My Cambridge audio Ulta wire only has small written print hardly visible to indicate the different strands especially given its tiny guage.

Attachments

• 1000004671.png
    1000004671.png
    409 KB · Views: 5
I can add QA to that list.

I've had good results with mission aswell particularly with one of my favourite budget speakers of yesteryear the mission mx3s.
A hidden gem which still suprise me now when up against the much pricier speakers I've had and got.
So sweet melodic and pleasing.
It does seem Arcam very compatible with various makers.

The only speakers I've had that didn't seem to partner up well were "Dali oberon 5" I hastily got rid of.
But that's more an issue with me not liking the Dali sound.
I demoed a few and owned a set and just never liked their sound despite knowing they are a quality speaker.

I agree with a prior post "speakers must be demoed" they have one if not the biggest effect on sound second to the amp itself.

I've only once bought blind with only Google reviews etc to stumble around and I was lucky I guess.

As for phase issues to quickly check simply connect a 9v battery to your terminals to the right polarities and both speakers should extend outwards if correct or inwards if not.

It's a commonly much used method and won't damage your speakers as it's well within operating voltage.

If your still thinking the amp terminals are soldered in reverse then use the test tracks in Google under "speaker phase test tracks"

There's a few to choose from.

If it sounds wrong invert the phase (swap the wires round) to see if it's indeed the problem.

I know most manufacturers now label their speaker wires to prevent phase issues but I've done it before on longer runs of wire when the cable is sparsely different.

My Cambridge audio Ulta wire only has small written print hardly visible to indicate the different strands especially given its tiny guage.
I can only recommend what I've heard with Arcam.

I'm sure KEF LS50 work a treat and Dali. As I've not heard this combo....

Forum members will always put forward their own preferences but there is no guarantee you are going to like them or they might not work well in your particular listening room.
The only answer is to audition whatever you can and ideally in your own home.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Forum members will always put forward their own preferences but there is no guarantee you are going to like them or they might not work well in your particular listening room.
The only answer is to audition whatever you can and ideally in your own home.
Absolutely true as I mentioned "I recommend always demoing"

Your absolutely right in a demo at home being best especially when paying so much.
I know richer sounds are good for this and will send out anything to you so will Peter Tyson.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts