Is this authentic? (Marantz PM6005?)

eengineer

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I just found this accidently: http://pl.horn.eu/_get/8323,0f65ce62-9f43-48a0-8878-487ddd663b7f.PDF

Is this authentic or fake? It lists the pm8005 and ow the pm6005 with dig inputs...

matthewpiano

Some German dealers are already listing a PM6005 with digital inputs for August launch, so maybe there is some truth in it.

In some ways I'd be surprised to see digital inputs on a budget Marantz amp given Mr Ishiwata's previous comments on the concept but I suppose Marantz is a commercial enterprise and in the end will have to be dictated to by what the customers want, as most hi-fi manufacturers will.

I'm more interested in seeing what they do with the M-CR610 (replacing the M-CR603) which I hear is due in the next couple of months.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting! Right now I am mulling over buying a PM6004 and an Arcam rLink DAC. If this is true then it would save me another box and a bit of cash.

I think I will hold off on my purchase for a while...

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Great news, but for me the 6005 is little to weak and I know that the 8005 gonna be very expensive so Im going for the Rotel ra12 even if I know that Marantz got more "quality".

matthewpiano

I wouldn't say Marantz has 'more quality' than Rotel. Rotel amps are excellent and they've always been really nicely made, particularly in places where it matter such as the quality of the power supply. I'd have another Rotel amp in a flash. Very good value and great musical companions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
GMK said:
Do you think the MCR603's will be sold off cheaper as the new model comes in?

How much cheaper do you want one? They have been heavily discounted for months now.

My M-CR603 was £479 (+ £40 for AirPlay before it became free) in early 2011.

Now they are only £315 at Richer Sounds (and AirPlay is free).

You should have jumped when they were as low as £279 a few months ago!

The M-CR603 was launched around October 2010 so I predict (very unreliably) that the M-CR610 will go on sale October - November this year.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think Marantz will clean up (again) if they do add DACs to their next line of amplifiers. There isn't a great deal of competition. I think Sansui have a cheap amp (£180 from Sevenoaks) with a DAC, but otherwise you are looking at around £600 for either a Rotel or a NAD.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, considering the Ken Ishiwata's comments in an interview in what hifi about not including DACs with amps.

I know I've commented that I didn't think DACs in amps was a trend and that it made more sense to allow the DAC section of CD players to be use with external sources, but I think it's a great move. I hope we do see more and more flexible products like this on the market at a range of prices.

matthewpiano

I don't think there will be much room for affordable integrated amps without DACs before long. With so many sources now being digital the inclusion of digital inputs seems almost mandatory.

I personally think the future of affordable hi-fi is in single-unit systems like the MCR603, Denon CEOL etc. I'm not sure the gains of having lots of seperate boxes are all that significant any more and I think good all-in-ones can achieve great things now. Only time will tell I suppose.

eengineer

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Isnt that Ken Ishi dude merely the company's marketing pawn?

Maybe the marketing bozos thought; lets make this charismatic funny looking engineer our guru,

but before that he needs to grow a ponytail.

I currently have dc6t se's on a yamaha micro. The one upgrade I allow me to do is an amp

with dac. Its more cost effective then separate dac.

I need to connect: setup box, appletv, squeezebox and dvd-out from the micro.

hopefully pm6005 is out soon and not to expensive

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
An alternative to the PM6005 is the new NAD D3020 amp. Don't know when it's coming out exactly but it also has a built-in DAC with optical, coaxial and USB inputs.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Now that would be a nice test!

For those who are interested here's the new Marantz catalogue. I found this link on the dutch Marantzforum: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28972766/Marantz%20Catalog%202013-2014.PDF

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems genuine enough given the product catalogue. I wonder why the PM8005 doesn't have a built-in DAC too?

I think I will be waiting eagerly to see what happens.

matthewpiano

Yes, it does look pretty genuine and I'm not entirely surprised that the new M-CR510 and M-CR610 mirror the Denon Ceol Piccolo and the Denon New CEOL respectively.

With regards to the lack of DAC in the PM8005, I'd guess this amp is intended as more of a performance statement (thus fitting in with Ishiwata's previous statement about integrated DACs) whereas the company have had to accept that the budget market is becoming increasingly feature driven now audio standards have reached such a high level for the money.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
I don't think there will be much room for affordable integrated amps without DACs before long. With so many sources now being digital the inclusion of digital inputs seems almost mandatory.

I personally think the future of affordable hi-fi is in single-unit systems like the MCR603, Denon CEOL etc. I'm not sure the gains of having lots of seperate boxes are all that significant any more and I think good all-in-ones can achieve great things now. Only time will tell I suppose.

Agree Matthew, I've had this view for some time now and that was one of the reasons I went for the Onkyo.

As a niche product, the integrated stereo amp probably has a future. I think most people would want simpler, smarter boxes that deliiiver high quality sound but with the functionality that a straight stereo amp can't provide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts