Subwoofer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have a similar situation as OP and sounds like you might know the answer. I have the KEF LS50 Meta connected to a Cambridge Audio AXR100 and want to add a sub. It sounds incredible to me but the KEFs seem to struggle a little when listening to bass heavy music and I figured if I add a sub and cut some lower frequencies from the KEFs that it would take some pressure off of them. But when connecting a sub to the amp, the amp does not cut the low frequencies from the main speaker output. Any advice? At first I thought about how in car audio you can put a high pass filter on the speaker line.
Sorry might be an obvious question but are you connecting subwoofer out from your amp to subwoofer LFE input?
Your SW should have a filter which will allow you to adjust the low frequencies.
As the Kefs small sized speakers, I think the best setting will be around 80.or 85 even. You may need to play with it manually until you find the perfect setting.

jaypeeq

Nov 24, 2023
Visit site
Sorry might be an obvious question but are you connecting subwoofer out from your amp to subwoofer LFE input?
Your SW should have a filter which will allow you to adjust the low frequencies.
As the Kefs small sized speakers, I think the best setting will be around 80.or 85 even. You may need to play with it manually until you find the perfect setting.
Yes, connecting to subwoofer out. I understand I'll be able to set the subwoofer but my concern was about diverting the low frequencies from the main speakers.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes, connecting to subwoofer out. I understand I'll be able to set the subwoofer but my concern was about diverting the low frequencies from the main speakers.
Good luck, most subwoofers you can set frequency crossover to zero, so the speakers don't give up tbe lower frequencies but wouldn't recommend it. The sound can become over saturated or bloated.

AJM1981

Good luck, most subwoofers you can set frequency crossover to zero, so the speakers don't give up tbe lower frequencies but wouldn't recommend it. The sound can become over saturated or bloated.
My hate-love relationship with subwoofers is exactly that. I own subwoofers but still don't know what is wisdom. There is simply no golden-middle-way between music and movies and 'between certain sub-friendly music and "sub-hostile" music. For movies it is great to have 'floor' down there and in the context of film it is hard to almost impossible to define what is right in terms of gain. There is not really a wrong or a right. A bit more.. why not?

In terms of music a sub should be barely noticeable and blend in, but also having a lot of floor in music is a crime for older kinds of dance music in which (I am sorry to write this) they did not mix and master with a sub in mind, resulting in a bass kick that is too present because they never thought about subwoofers as they went with the average of the old days in that almost nobody used a sub for music. Some tracks simply need a remaster to be 2023 ready

And then... yes, maybe cutting out bottom frequencies will help, (but then the question arises, why a sub..) The few tracks that are written with a subwoofer in mind are being left in the dark. So I guess.. the average is ok; but not ideal. Bringing back another topic in that large bookshelfs or standmounts are maybe the ideal format to battle all that; instead of top model floorstanders that also touch sub-frequencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes absolutely true, with SW it's not one sized shoe fits all. Quite a bit of tinkering, my AV system the Dali F9 SW blended in without much trouble. The Focal's required a bit of work with the Adams, I didn't have much space and I was restricted to keeping them close to the wall not ideal for two woofers on each side, I resorted to applying my missus's acrobats floor matt for damping and this worked (I think she's still wondering where it's gone!) it's a bit like an organ transplant. :D

TRENDING THREADS