Question Speaker upgrade possibilities ?

gotnoname

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering whether my current speakers could be upgraded to something that might give better performance. My current speakers are both floor standers, namely the Tannoy DCT6 connected to a Marantz PM8006 and Q Acoustics 3050 connected to a Cyrus One Cast, the latter in a smaller room of 14 * 7 feet approx and the former in a room of 18 * 12 feet approx. I ask because the conventional wisdom seems to be a speaker upgrade is the best option to improve sound as opposed to going the amp upgrade way. I also have a Marantz PM6005 and Rega Brio which I sometimes use, but not currently. Used or new speakers would be fine, perhaps used offer much better value in a category like floorstanders?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
welcome, I guess the first question would what's your budget?

wisdom would suggest new speakers would make the biggest difference, but only to a point, that said amp needs to be able to drive those said speakers and there no point pairing 10k speakers with 600-700£$ amps. the roomy far has the biggest impact so if you have some room modes, strange shape room or your hi fi is in a less than ideal position and simple rules haven't been followed in the room then no amount of box swapping is going to change those aspects.

as ever its a balancing act.

if you can id suggest picking a few that you like the look of and go and audition them at a store. Or if you buying preloved try before you buy just to make sure there actually working, many bricks and mortar stores also have eBay outlets for preloved gear that come with small warranties for extra piece of mind.

I haven't heard your amps so can't comment on sound with particular speakers and I doubt anybody can.
But the usual suspects (British site so ill mention "British" brands) are normally KEF, wharfdal , B&W and monitor audio they all have some something to suit every budget and wallet size. KEF normally pair quite well with marantz as do mission, mission have bit more get up go and tend to balance out the marantz's house sound in my experience with previous marantz amp ive owned.

Cyrus tend to be a bit leaner in presentation so somthing more full bodied would be a good fit id probably look at wharfdal first denton/Linton

but im very much generalising here.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Easily within that budget would be the KEF R700’s (Flootstanders). I bought my current R300’s (the baby version - stand mount) some years ago, and still love them. IMO, KEF produce wonderful drivers, not overpowering, but they’re when it’s needed, with great extension. Certainly an improvement on the Tannoys you have, which I’ve listened to. Worth a listen. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianrjones

gotnoname

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Easily within that budget would be the KEF R700’s (Flootstanders). I bought my current R300’s (the baby version - stand mount) some years ago, and still love them. IMO, KEF produce wonderful drivers, not overpowering, but they’re when it’s needed, with great extension. Certainly an improvement on the Tannoys you have, which I’ve listened to. Worth a listen. Just my opinion.
Thanks for that recommendation. Going to check them out.

Many Thanks
Do you think these would pair better with Marantz or Cyrus, and offer a step up in sound quality to my current floorstanders?
The 7’s also better or too much for my amps?
Thanks
No, the 7s are better but would depend on whether or not they will work well in your room. Audition is certainly recommended.
I have never heard them paired with Cyrus so cannot comment here.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No, the 7s are better but would depend on whether or not they will work well in your room. Audition is certainly recommended.
This is so true. I remember way back, I listened to a pair of B&W DM4’s in the HiFi store (Radfords here in Bristol). I thought they were terrific and bought them. Got them home and thought they sounded very average. With hindsight I should have played around with positioning but ultimately I think the room didn’t suit them. Speakers are a minefield!

This is so true. I remember way back, I listened to a pair of B&W DM4’s in the HiFi store (Radfords here in Bristol). I thought they were terrific and bought them. Got them home and thought they sounded very average. With hindsight I should have played around with positioning but ultimately I think the room didn’t suit them. Speakers are a minefield!
You are so correct. Many a speaker I have auditioned in a showroom sounded great but they had obviously spent a good deal of time setting them up for that particular room so you would expect them to sound their best.
Would they sound as good in my room? I doubt it.
With all HiFi setups you have to get this bit right before proceeding onwards.

Vortex

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Someone has suggested the Kef R700 which I’d second as worth considering, they are now called the KEF R7 (think they’ve been called this for 4 years or so). If you audition them it would be ideal to have a similar level amplifier in the chain to your budget (it’s not realistic demo if they are driven hard with an amp costs double the one you’ll actually use if you brought them). The R7’s have a number of improvements over the R700.

BiggaJ

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Yup, Focal or Monitor Audio Silvers work well with midrange Marantz amps.

This ... I would agree with 100%. I can attest the Monitor silver 200's are a speaker that punches well above its price point, getting a good 2nd hand pair might be the way to go, there are plenty out there. I just sold my white pair when upgrading to some Audio Physic Classic 15's which I got at an incredible price and they have blown me away with their detail.

Reactions: plastic penguin
This ... I would agree with 100%. I can attest the Monitor silver 200's are a speaker that punches well above its price point, getting a good 2nd hand pair might be the way to go, there are plenty out there. I just sold my white pair when upgrading to some Audio Physic Classic 15's which I got at an incredible price and they have blown me away with their detail.
I wouldn't ignore Dali Oberons either.

Vortex

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
I’d also listen to the Kef R3 Meta as well. Seem to be getting excellent reviews. I sound like im an advert for Kef but I have just owned a number of their speakers. I’ve still got a pair I purchased in 92 (C95’s) which are in my drum room and still sound great. My main system has Kef Reference 3”s which were a small fortune but a lot of the technology of their high end stuff gets past down to normal range with great results.

Reactions: gotnoname

TRENDING THREADS