Is ATC SCM 19 speakers an all-rounder?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For a speaker to perform as it is designed to, it needs to be driven and controlled properly. As long as this is the case, the ATC SCM11 and SCM19 seem to be the bargains of the speaker world due to their even bass response, partly thanks to their sealed cabinet. This aids placement, and helps them suit more types of rooms. Also, because of their more even response across the whole frequency range, they tend to sound more natural than some of their competitors. We've found they work with almost any type of music so far.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
euidon:
Hello,

I think UK soccer team will beat USA in the end. No doubt.

Where have you been since Saturday evening?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The scm19 will play any type of music with equal ease and can also be positioned close to walls and perform better than most due to its sealed box enclosure. So i would call it the best all rounder at its price point.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim:Do they work well with Cyrus kit?

Generally, yes. But I would say it depends on which Cyrus models you're taking into account. Having run SCM11's hard-ish for the duration of an album with an 8xp, and it got decidedly warm, and that will fare etter than an 8vs2 will, for reasons I mentioned in another thread earlier. Ideally, I'd be using the SCM19's with a Cyrus pre/power utilising at least an X Power. You could get away with an 8xp for low to medium volume levels, but I'd do that with a view to adding a power amp at some point and bi-amping.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
euidon:
Hello,

I think ATC SCM 19 is an all rounder.

How about your ideas? Do you agree?

i think so, although i don't listen to classical, they don't play favourites with what i do listen too.

and i would imagine that they'd work well in most rooms. lot of performance potential in them too, as your kit gets better, they do.

they can even be pretty too, i recently saw pictures of some that the owner had rubbed with t-cut(!) and car-polish(!!), and the results were very suprising!
emotion-21.gif

euidon:
Hello,

I think UK soccer team will beat USA in the end. No doubt.

I think ATC SCM 19 is an all rounder.

Hi euidon

With the SCM7's and SCM11's ATC give an exceedingly taste of what they are capable of however its with the SCM19 monitors that ATC really start to flex their muscles. The SCM19's are the first model to incorporate the massively engineered studio SLMT mid bass drive unit (as also used in the SCM20 professional monitors) which itself weighs more than a complete SCM11.

The SCM19's closed box design, low distortion and more importantly flat and honest presentation makes room positioning even easier without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

I have been selling the Entry Series speakers since their lauch four years ago i have believed the SCM40's are probably the finest vfm floorstanding available. I also believe this to be so with the SCM19's for a standmount design. The SCM19's don't favour anything and they also have a big performance potential.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

potboyslim:Do they work well with Cyrus kit?

Hi potboyslim

Yes they do and you can also use your existing Cyrus amplification with them as long as you are not planning to playback at constant disco like levels. The SCM19's uncoloured, neutral, natural and powerful presentation will allow the qualities of your components to shine through by enabling them to breathe.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your kind and authoritive explanation.

I have used all entry models. I think ATC SCM 19 is an all-rounder.

But some people at the other hifi website didn't agree and told I am wrong.

I thought they had never listened to but just pretended. I'm glad to see I am not wrong.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

euidon:I think ATC SCM 19 is an all rounder.

From your previous post I see you already use the ATC SCM40s...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/310106.aspx

euidon:I'm using Van Del Hul Magnum speaker cable for my ATC SCM 40 now...

....My system is Audire legato pre amp, Classe CA301 power amp and Rega Apollo CDP.

Hi,

Yes, I'm now using ATC SCM 40 with Bryston 14B SST and Cary SLP98P. The spk cable is Chord Epic Twin.

I used ATC SCM 19 before and wanted to check your ideas on it are same as mine.

SteveR750

Can anyone comment on how they would sound with a K2 driving them? There is another current thread about the kandy LIII struggling to make them work, I believe the K2 is an improvement over the old Kandy, but is it enough?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not the 19's, but we've tried the K2 with the SCM11's and it just didn't work for me. I was up to about 11 o'clock on the dial and wanted a lot more. The ATC's low sensitivity just doesn't seem to go well with the Roksan, so I'd recommend something a little more efficient for it. I found it way too smooth, which is great if you like that sort of thing, but to me it just sounded a dull combination. I would expect the SCM19 to be even more bass heavy and warmer with the K2 as the SCM11's are leaner, and the combination still sounded too laid back.

Personal opinion of course....

A

Anonymous

Are the SCM19s like Dynaudio speakers in that their large magnets "absorb" large amounts of current?

A

Anonymous

stever750

i cannot comment on the atc scm 19's but i can on the atc scm 11's and can say they are the best speakers ive ever owned i have the roksan kandy k2 amp & the cyrus cd 6 se same as you.

i don't find them dull as a certain retailer has commented yes i agree that you do have to turn the amp up more than you would normally but with these speakers being so neutral they can handle it also the amp has enough power to go to 3/4 on the volume and still sound bloody good without the amp & speakers struggling.

but this is my own opinion. no offence to anyone else's opinion

regards

80' boy

SteveR750

80s boy:
stever750

i cannot comment on the atc scm 19's but i can on the atc scm 11's and can say they are the best speakers ive ever owned i have the roksan kandy k2 amp & the cyrus cd 6 se same as you.

i don't find them dull as a certain retailer has commented yes i agree that you do have to turn the amp up more than you would normally but with these speakers being so neutral they can handle it also the amp has enough power to go to 3/4 on the volume and still sound bloody good without the amp & speakers struggling.

regards

80' boy

Thanks for the reply. Given the K2 has an apparently 'real' 120W at its disposal then I would expect it to be man enough, especially if the Cyrus 6 is thought to be capable. I auditioned the K2 against the Cyrus and Naim amps last year, and the Kandy was the most controlled of the three with the CD6SE up front, and certainly was capable of pushing the B&W 684 and Dynaudio X32s that we were using for the demo loudest of all without losing it. The volume control is not linear, so unlike a lot of amps max volume isn't achieved at 10 o'clock. I have regularly had the K2 at 1 o'clock which was generating moderate listening levels. Mind you by 3 it was getting well into asbo country...

A

Anonymous

steve i think it's man enough as well, i can understand people saying that the roksan/atc11 combo is boring as before i purchased the cyrus cd 6se i had an arcam cd73t and the sound really was boring but with the cyrus in place its almost like the roksan has woken up (i cannot really explain) but it like the roksan's gone right now ive got a decent source im gonna let the atc's do there business and sing.

ive had the volume at about 1 o'clock and your right the sound is most enjoyable at 3 o'clock it's like all of a sudden there's a subwoofer in the room as you can really feel the bass but it's still controlled, just as well ive got understanding neighbours as they have never complained.

for the first time in years im really enjoying my hifi which i suppose is the main aim for us all.

regards 80's boy

80s boy:
stever750

regards

80' boy

Hi 80s boy

Good post.

I hope you will not mind me adding the following to what you've said above. Many amplifiers are capable of partnering ATC's Entry Series passive monitors. As long as an amplifiers power is sufficiently potent then it will be fine. I will respectfully say there can unfortunately also still be some misguided views about the low efficiency of ATC speakers. The fact is the impedance of a speaker is far more important.

ATC's drive units are very constant thereby allowing an amplifier to deliver its full power all the time (prior to clipping). Some very efficient speakers have an impedance that can drop to a low levels such as 2ohms. At this level many amplifiers will struggle to deliver sufficient power or will give no power at all.

I have often over the years used a modestly priced 50w/ch amplifier to demonstrate all four of the Entry Series monitors. In fact recently one of my clients who recently bought a pair of SCM11's uses them with a fairly modestly priced amplifer rated at 80w/ch. His listening positioning is 8m away from the speakers. The reproduction from the SCM11's is more than dynamic enough for him not to use the volume control (if this really matters) more than a quarter of the turn.

You are right the SCM11's (and also the SCM19's) are not dull they are with they are flat and honest. The SCM11's (with the studio CLD mid/bass drive unit) in camparison to the SCM19's have a more 'rounder' feel to the sound whereas the SCM19's (with the significantly better lower distortion SLMT mid/bass drive unit) are alot more accurate.

Btw, i hope you will coninue to enjoy the performance of your ATC speakers for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Steve, i cannot agree with Rick`s point, that every nice amp is capable of driving the entry atc models. A week ago we made a demo with my supernait, cd5xs, and Atc scm 20 towers, and 19 entry. Well the result was bad!

I like Atcs, the 20 towers are great speakers, i like the supernait too, and have listened great combos with it! But the match in my opinion, and my dealers, and the other guys that were there ... is a rubbish!

So, a demo i a must! Atc are great speakers, and with the correct amp they sound really good, but if i were you, i wouldn`t buy without a demo!

See i was so keen on the idea of getting some scm 20 classics, but after the demo... not a chance!

Good luck!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Is 'misguided' a word we're using for someone who disagrees with someone else?

Due to real demos, I'm fully aware of how sensitivity and impedance affect amplifier/speaker combinations. Unfortunately, it doesn't always turn out the way you'd expect based on specs.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, the impedance of a speaker, relative to the driving amplifier has always been more of an issue than sensitivity.

I had a pair of speakers of 90db sensitivity and 6ohm impedance with 250watt power handling but with a low impedance point of 3.2ohm's.
I drove them with with an amp rated at 200w/ch @ 8ohm's and 400w/ch @ 4ohm's. Bucket loads you would think, but several times the speaker output fuses blew at high volumes, before the amp itself eventually blew. The amp in question wasn't rated below 4 ohm's, so high level listening with my particular loudspeaker wasn't wise. I learnt the hard way.

Another set of speakers of 89db sensitivity and 4ohm impedance, driven with a 100w/ch @ 8ohm integrated amp was useless even at low volume levels because the amp just didnt have the current capability.

And a pair of PMC DB1i's have a rated 87db sensitivity and yet cannot produce the same volume level at any given setting on the amp as a pair of 85db sensitive ATC scm19's. Both speakers are rated at 8ohm's. If you look at the specifications, the PMC's should play louder. But they don't.

People should be more concerned with impedance matching of speakers and amp's rather than getting caught up in sensitivity.
A wrong impedance match can cause an amp to run red hot or clip before you even reach 11 o'clock on the dial.

Having a so called insensitive speaker on the end of a modest amp may mean you have to turn the dial up an extra notch in some(but not all) cases, but if you have a nice 8ohm load like the ATC's, the amp's dial will turn further before clipping than a 4 or 6 ohm load, so you'll get the same or even greater drive ability from the given amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts