Is ATC SCM 19 speakers an all-rounder?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Out of intrest would the mf m6i be up to driving the atc scm 40s room size 3x4 meters musical taste all ,but mostly blues. rock. prog rock + very loud if no one else at home:cheers:

toyota man said:
Out of intrest would the mf m6i be up to driving the atc scm 40s room size 3x4 meters musical taste all ,but mostly blues. rock. prog rock + very loud if no one else at home:cheers:

Hi toyota man

Yes, the M6i is more than capable of driving SCM40 monitors and filling a 3x4 room.

Btw, I'll recommend that you also consider SCM19 monitors as you might find SCM40's somewhat overpowering in this room size.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Anatta

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The minimum impedance of the 19s is 5.7Ohm at 3.9kHz, so they don't need that much current. They need lots of Volts though being so insensitive. The ATC amps aren't even specified @ 4Ohm. The idea of having high current capability is for the amplifier to remain a constant voltage source as the impedance of the speaker decreases; if the amplifier can't deliver the current the voltage will also drop, that's why you see less than double the power @ 4Ohm compared to the 8 Ohm spec on amps.

@toyota man

No problem for the M6i to drive the 40s power wise.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
many thanks music craft I will be up your way in june for the download festival castle donington I may pop in do you stock scm 40s etc:cheers:

matthaskell said:
Craig M. said:
they can even be pretty too, i recently saw pictures of some that the owner had rubbed with t-cut(!) and car-polish(!!), and the results were very suprising!
emotion-21.gif

they did look great! sorry for the hijack, but i can anyone link it. i can find it in search

Matt

I would suggest (can't fully qualify) that ATCs may just be a bridge too far for the Leema. They are devilish to drive and you'll need a real gutsy amp to make the most of them, more so if you like your music loud and proud.

Odd as it may seem, I have considered SCM19s in the past as they should suit my room. However, the drawbacks are: If you have a TT with low MV cart the Leema may puff and blow a bit at high levels. Not so with a CDP and FM tuner, but TTs and DVD players can demand more output.

If you are considering a change then my previous suggestions of Totem, PMC, Spendor, MAs, Focals will all be better for a modest 80 watts. Nevertheless small margins.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Anatta said:
The minimum impedance of the 19s is 5.7Ohm at 3.9kHz, so they don't need that much current. They need lots of Volts though being so insensitive. The ATC amps aren't even specified @ 4Ohm. The idea of having high current capability is for the amplifier to remain a constant voltage source as the impedance of the speaker decreases; if the amplifier can't deliver the current the voltage will also drop, that's why you see less than double the power @ 4Ohm compared to the 8 Ohm spec on amps.

@toyota man

No problem for the M6i to drive the 40s power wise.
Interesting explanation.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
The gems in the line up are the SCM7 and SCM19 IMO. For a smaller room, the 7's do all of what all the others in the range do without the disadvantages, the integration of the drive units, soundstage and sheer amount of abuse they can take is staggering! :rofl:

They are IMO the best new speaker you can buy under £1k (as long as your room is not too big).

The SCM19's are really good, and better IMO than the 11's/40's and with a suitable amp, could provide all the depth in the bass department that I would ever need in a 'normal UK living room'. They dont have quite the integration and delacy of the 7's but bass dynamics and sheer headroom are hard to beat if you need higher SPL's.

They are however very fussy with regards to amplification, as they really do need an amp that delivers a good amount of current. 'The Cure - Same deep water as you' with the Bryston Pre/Power through the 19's is possibly the best I have heard it. Although I would wager that the Active 50's would be awsome, I have yet to have a long demo of them, only heard them brifely at shows.

The main downside of the 19 is the tweeter, the same Vifa unit used in all the 'entry' range, is a very good driver, but a £20 unit that measures very well can only go so far. I would guess the SCM20 may have a big advantage over the 19 in this respect, and may well be one of the best bookshelf designs regardless if you like what ATC brings to the party. I would love to hear a pair at some point!
What are the main differences between atc19's and the scm 20's ?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between the SCM19 and SCM20 is the build (Cabinet) and the tweeter, its a much more expensive unit.

AFAIK the main mid bass driver is the same.

And about ATC speakers being pigs to drive, is a myth, they are quite easy to drive in terms of impedence load, its just their lack of efficiency that means if you want to play at higher levels, you need more power.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
My experience with ATC passives suggests they aren't as insensitive as many people say, or ATC are just honest about their measurments, and others aren't.

I had a pair of PMC DB1i's(87db/w), and some ATC scm19's(85db/w). The ATC's played louder at any given amplifier setting.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is relevant , but I have to crank the volume up to 12.00 o'clock on my Audiolab 8000S and 8000P to get a decent sound out of my ATC SCM 11s . Which is something I found quite surprising after only ever going to 8.00 or 9.00 o'clock on my old NAD 3020 and Linn Kans .

philb42

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Bit surprised by that as I also use 8000s/px (orig British) biamped to STC19's in an 18' x4.5' room and significantly loud levels are achieved between 10-11 o'clock. This is using Foobar with replaygain, which attenuates the signal on many modern recordings by several db's as well. Lovely all rounders by the way.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
I don't know if this is relevant , but I have to crank the volume up to 12.00 o'clock on my Audiolab 8000S and 8000P to get a decent sound out of my ATC SCM 11s . Which is something I found quite surprising after only ever going to 8.00 or 9.00 o'clock on my old NAD 3020 and Linn Kans .
Their sensitivty seems to be the big question mark , leading too a difference of opinion.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Craig M. said:
they can even be pretty too, i recently saw pictures of some that the owner had rubbed with t-cut(!) and car-polish(!!), and the results were very suprising!
emotion-21.gif

they did look great! sorry for the hijack, but i can anyone link it. i can find it in search

Matt

I would suggest (can't fully qualify) that ATCs may just be a bridge too far for the Leema. They are devilish to drive and you'll need a real gutsy amp to make the most of them, more so if you like your music loud and proud.

Odd as it may seem, I have considered SCM19s in the past as they should suit my room. However, the drawbacks are: If you have a TT with low MV cart the Leema may puff and blow a bit at high levels. Not so with a CDP and FM tuner, but TTs and DVD players can demand more output.

If you are considering a change then my previous suggestions of Totem, PMC, Spendor, MAs, Focals will all be better for a modest 80 watts. Nevertheless small margins.

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
They are devilish to drive

Where do you get that from? It annoys me that this myth persists, and I suspect that is not your personal experience.

So what is the answer? Would the Leema be up to powering 19's?

TBH, i was looking at the 7's and 11's at the moment.

What would i need to power 7, 11, and 19? And would the 7 be an improvement over the 602 S3's i am currently using.

I would have thought that amplifiers in £1000 + bracket would be able to comfortbly power most speakers?

Matt

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It all really depends on how loud you listen and how big your room is.

I would say the 7's would be a big improvment over the 602's but if your room might be too big, as they can sound a little lost in larger rooms. I would still prefer them to the B&W's though.

matthaskell said:
plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Craig M. said:
emotion-21.gif

Matt

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:

Where do you get that from? It annoys me that this myth persists, and I suspect that is not your personal experience.

What would i need to power 7, 11, and 19? And would the 7 be an improvement over the 602 S3's i am currently using.

I would have thought that amplifiers in £1000 + bracket would be able to comfortbly power most speakers?

Matt

Hi Matt

Yes, as long as you're not after constant disco like levels then yes then your Leema Pulse amplifier is perfectly capable of being partnered with SCM19 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
The main difference between the SCM19 and SCM20 is the build (Cabinet) and the tweeter, its a much more expensive unit.

AFAIK the main mid bass driver is the same.

And about ATC speakers being pigs to drive, is a myth, they are quite easy to drive in terms of impedence load, its just their lack of efficiency that means if you want to play at higher levels, you need more power.
I've seen some tempting rosewood scm 20sl's, i think demand investigation.

MUSICRAFT said:
matthaskell said:
plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Craig M. said:
emotion-21.gif

Matt

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:

Matt

Hi Matt

Yes, as long as you're not after constant disco like levels then yes then your Leema Pulse amplifier is perfectly capable of being partnered with SCM19 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

(Note to self: Rickcraft and I agree on something).

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
matthaskell said:
plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Craig M. said:
emotion-21.gif

Matt

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:

Matt

Hi Matt

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

(Note to self: Rickcraft and I agree on something).

Hallelujah , Praise be to The Lord .

If we all try really hard maybe we could make this set of posts take up a whole page !

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
A word of warning I have a Leema Pulse running a pair of Dynaudio X-12's while I love the sound a couple of times when I admit I was playing at disco levels the Pulse has cut out. I now when wanting to be stupid with my sound levels play my wharfedale 9.1's through my Sony 1200ES AV amp and it has yet to cut out. Again just something to keep in mind. great amp for the money though! Seriously considering to add some PMC's to replace the Dyn's.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ABM78 said:
A word of warning I have a Leema Pulse running a pair of Dynaudio X-12's while I love the sound a couple of times when I admit I was playing at disco levels the Pulse has cut out. I now when wanting to be stupid with my sound levels play my wharfedale 9.1's through my Sony 1200ES AV amp and it has yet to cut out. Again just something to keep in mind. great amp for the money though! Seriously considering to add some PMC's to replace the Dyn's.

The Dynaudio's are 4ohm nominal, so they will suck the power out of the amp. The Wharfdales are 6ohm nominal.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
QUOTE from a atc spec FACT.... The lower a speakers sensitivity,the greater its low frequency output.Those concerned with the scm 20sl's sensitivity need not be.

The system has been deliberately designed that way to maximize bass handling. Unquote.

As plain as day. :)

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
MattSPL said:
ABM78 said:

The Dynaudio's are 4ohm nominal, so they will suck the power out of the amp. The Wharfdales are 6ohm nominal.

Yeah, I know, I was more so stating that the Leema can struggle with a tough load, although at sensible listening levels the Sony and Wharfedales cannot compete, I for a long time wanted to upgrade to focus range but after the 2nd time it cut out I realised it may not be the best choice to pair with the amp. Again don't get me wrong I love the leema. I'm certainly no expert technically, but I enjoy the sound I have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts