Is ATC SCM 19 speakers an all-rounder?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
ABM78 said:
MattSPL said:
ABM78 said:
A word of warning I have a Leema Pulse running a pair of Dynaudio X-12's while I love the sound a couple of times when I admit I was playing at disco levels the Pulse has cut out. I now when wanting to be stupid with my sound levels play my wharfedale 9.1's through my Sony 1200ES AV amp and it has yet to cut out. Again just something to keep in mind. great amp for the money though! Seriously considering to add some PMC's to replace the Dyn's.

The Dynaudio's are 4ohm nominal, so they will suck the power out of the amp. The Wharfdales are 6ohm nominal.

Yeah, I know, I was more so stating that the Leema can struggle with a tough load, although at sensible listening levels the Sony and Wharfedales cannot compete, I for a long time wanted to upgrade to focus range but after the 2nd time it cut out I realised it may not be the best choice to pair with the amp. Again don't get me wrong I love the leema. I'm certainly no expert technically, but I enjoy the sound I have.

This proves every component has its limits.

Perhaps if you wan to play at 'night club levels' you should invest in a system specifically designed for the purpose.

I only play at normal "family friendly levels" and the Leema is terrific in every respect.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I agree, no regrets with my purchase, those disco nights are far and few between and as I stated I have found an alternative with using the AV amp instead. Its more than capable to play at levels most people would play their music at.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
In a 10ft by 12ft room, would have thought that the SCM19 would be better, always prefered the 19 to the 40, better integration in the mid range/treble area and deeper and better controlled bass (SL-Spec magnet might help).

What amplifier/sources will you be useing with them?

The SCM19 will require a pretty decent amplfier (current and decent power supply rather than outright power).

A pair of used SCM20SL's would probably be the best value choice, if you can find some :)

alchemist 1 said:
Might be :) [Bloody computers]

In your opinion Rick, which one would be appropriate ?

Hi alchemist 1

Between SCM19's and SCM40's the are likely to be the safest bet as you might find the SCM40 monitors overpowering in your room. If possible try both monitors in your room because if SCM40's work effectively in your room then i feel it would have been worth the time and effort mainly beacuse of the performance of ATC's original state of the art studio Soft Dome mid range units :) used in SCM40 monitors. ATC Soft Dome monitoring :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Do the ATC 19's have gravitas and weight too their sound :quest:

Would Atacama's new hms 2.1 stands be a good match ?

As much weight as you'll get from a sealed £2k standmount. The HMS2.1's will work great (I use HMS2's), but do part fill the columns for greater stability.

Hi alchemist 1

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, i feel SCM19 monitors have got substance/weight to the their presentation. However i would also say that don't expect this to make itself known in an 'obvious' manner. The quality of SCM19's reproduction is (as they incorporate ATC's massively engineered state of the art ultra low distortion SLMT drive units :twisted: ) clean, tightly packed and nearly seamless from top to bottom with no boom, bloom, gloom or bling. SCM19's with their low distortion, flat and honest designs impress by reproducing the stability and the power of the sound in a controlled, uncoloured and natural manner.

Studio Control Monitor :)

Fwiw, i believe SCM19 monitors are probably the VFM passive bookshelf design speakers currently avaialble on the market regardless of price.

Btw, also look out for Soundstyle XS122 speaker stands as XS122's support SCM19 monitors just nicely.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi alchemist 1

I think you've missed my point :)

Btw, as good as SCM19 monitors are however all things being equal SCM40 monitors are my preferred ATC Entry Series monitor choice. Listening to albums such as Lisa Gerrard's The Silver Tree & Bob Holroyd's Arfican Drug and the SCM40's reproduction of low frequencies and particularly from studio Soft Dome drive units is just superb and one which (i hate to say it) readily shows the gulf that exists between these two monitors. ATC Soft Dome monitoring :twisted:

Fwiw, i feel that SCM40 monitors are probably the VFM passive speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

Btw, please try and audition SCM19 and SCM40 monitors preferably in your room.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi alchemist 1

I think you've missed my point :)

Btw, as good as SCM19 monitors are however all things being equal SCM40 monitors are my preferred ATC Entry Series monitor choice. Listening to albums such as Lisa Gerrard's The Silver Tree & Bob Holroyd's Arfican Drug and the SCM40's reproduction of low frequencies and particularly from studio Soft Dome drive units is just superb and one which (i hate to say it) readily shows the gulf that exists between these two monitors. ATC Soft Dome monitoring :twisted:

Fwiw, i feel that SCM40 monitors are probably the VFM passive speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

Btw, please try and audition SCM19 and SCM40 monitors preferably in your room.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Many thanks Rick :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts