No budget 2 or 2.1 channel system for small room

Jk0323

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Im looking to upgrade a system for a small space, about 10 x 11ft. I currently have a yamaha as501 with polk Tsi500 speakers, and they are way too big for the room. My budget is flexible because I'm in no rush to upgrade and will wait in order to save for the best option. I am very interested in a pure 2 channel, but am not opposed to adding a sub (was considering the svs micro 3000) if needed. Primary concern is quality of course, and second is size. I would like them to be as small as possible while still filling the room with sound..

No maximum budget, though I wonder if I will need to upgrade the amp as well if I go too high end. Currently looking at Dali opticon mk2, quad s2, atc scm11 as options. I do not like the kef ls50 aesthetic at all and would want something more classic.
Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

abacus

ATCs are revealing as they are based on their professional studio monitors, so you will need good matching equipment with plenty of power to drive them. (If a recording is good it will sound great, but if it is not then it will stick out like a sore thumb)
The only way to be sure is to try a few out at a dealer as everybody's ears are different.
Small rooms are a pain when it comes to bass, so yes go for a 2.1 system.

Bill

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Welcome.... it's refreshing to see that "ill wait and save" but on the one hand that sort of thinking could mean you miss out on a product or worst price rises, which is happening a lot. Or you'll be in this constant state of ill wait just a little longer. I'd certainly still set yourself a budget one that you can realistically save to. If it's going to take 5 years to save 10k then it's unrealistic.

Anyhow it will depends greatly on what you find most important in sound. Some want neutrality whatever that might be, Some want BASS, some want a holographic sound etc.

If you want a live sound I'd look no further than Klipsch and their heritage range. Really efficient speakers need no more than 20-30 watts to rock your world. Something like a sugden a21 or first-watt amp if you're feeling a bit more flush.

I'd love to listen to tannoys Legacy range but way out of budget for me. but if you can save that sort cash up defo worthy of making their way on the audition list.

The holographic sound, I quite like Revel and their performer series line up. Match really well with naim gear.

Active all-in-one speakers I'm currently looking JBL 4329p for a second room they have utterly monstrous sound in all regards to detail, dynamics and so on. I'd say there worth a look.

Amps will largely depend on the speaker you purchase.

Just a couple of options to wet your whistle, that are a lot more left field then a lot of the suggestions you'll receive.

Jk0323

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
My musical tastes are always changing, I love finding new music and while I always love classic rock, I listen to jazz, electronic, and classical as well.
Current source are a wiim streamer, fluance rt85, and a yamaha cd player. As far as tentative budget, I would say I would spend 2 or even 3k for a speaker pair, probably around 1k for a sub, and would eventually spend up to 2k for an amp if needed. The fluance rt85 isn't purchased yet but seems so well loved that I didn't feel the need to spend more for a turntable, but I'd hear your advice there too.

I definitely want musicality in the sound, and an imnersive sound stage that makes the speakers disappear. I'm really leaning toward the Revel m105 vs m106, because they are gorgeous and are small enough that I think they'll work in this room without being intrusive.

Reactions: matthewpianist
Im looking to upgrade a system for a small space, about 10 x 11ft. I currently have a yamaha as501 with polk Tsi500 speakers, and they are way too big for the room. My budget is flexible because I'm in no rush to upgrade and will wait in order to save for the best option. I am very interested in a pure 2 channel, but am not opposed to adding a sub (was considering the svs micro 3000) if needed. Primary concern is quality of course, and second is size. I would like them to be as small as possible while still filling the room with sound..

No maximum budget, though I wonder if I will need to upgrade the amp as well if I go too high end. Currently looking at Dali opticon mk2, quad s2, atc scm11 as options. I do not like the kef ls50 aesthetic at all and would want something more classic.
Any thoughts and advice appreciated.
These are superb speakers.

matthewpianist

My musical tastes are always changing, I love finding new music and while I always love classic rock, I listen to jazz, electronic, and classical as well.
Current source are a wiim streamer, fluance rt85, and a yamaha cd player. As far as tentative budget, I would say I would spend 2 or even 3k for a speaker pair, probably around 1k for a sub, and would eventually spend up to 2k for an amp if needed. The fluance rt85 isn't purchased yet but seems so well loved that I didn't feel the need to spend more for a turntable, but I'd hear your advice there too.

I definitely want musicality in the sound, and an imnersive sound stage that makes the speakers disappear. I'm really leaning toward the Revel m105 vs m106, because they are gorgeous and are small enough that I think they'll work in this room without being intrusive.

I urge you to audition the GoldenEar BRX. They disappear completely, and have a very natural sound. My other recommendation is the Martin Logan Motion B10, for similar reasons. If I was in the market to upgrade I would certainly consider both alongside the Dynaudio Evoke 20.

Look also at JBL's Classic series. I have the 52L and struggle to choose between these and the Dyns. The 52L are more open sounding and pull off the disappearing trick very convincingly without wearing a high price tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Jk0323

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I'm curious what exactly I get with the better amplifier. Is my current system not going to be good enough?
I've been looking at a lot of options, the jbl l52 crossed my path. Do you think it's worth upgrading to a bigger bookshelf if I'll have a sub? Like the Revel Performa m105 vs 106- it's not much more price and not much bigger, but if it won't make any difference when I have a sub, I'd just get the less expensive option

I'm curious what exactly I get with the better amplifier. Is my current system not going to be good enough?
I've been looking at a lot of options, the jbl l52 crossed my path. Do you think it's worth upgrading to a bigger bookshelf if I'll have a sub? Like the Revel Performa m105 vs 106- it's not much more price and not much bigger, but if it won't make any difference when I have a sub, I'd just get the less expensive option
Personally I would try, in a room that size, to avoid a sub.
Just concentrate on the right speakers, failing that headphones.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jk0323

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
It makes me happy to hear you say that. I'd definitely prefer to. If that's the case though, should I be fretting over a difference between a speaker that goes down to 60 vs one that goes to 40? Should I look for the lowest number I can there for bass extension?

It makes me happy to hear you say that. I'd definitely prefer to. If that's the case though, should I be fretting over a difference between a speaker that goes down to 60 vs one that goes to 40? Should I look for the lowest number I can there for bass extension?
You have to find a speaker that works well in your room. How low it goes is irrelevant, unless you're a heavy metal freak. :)
The BBC type monitors were designed to work in small spaces so look at firms that still produce the likes of the LS 35a or similar or larger sealed box speakers.
Too much bass is one thing that will destroy a system in a small room.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
On ebay at the moment are the last few Amptastic Mini One micro amps, being sold as graded stock as they have slightly imperfect cases. £99. Tiny. Sound truly excellent. You would need to spend a lot more for an appreciable uplift. Pair one with a decent set of speakers. I have an Amptastic paired to some Q Acoustic Concept 20's and a CCA in my office system (about £300 spent all in), and it sounds... utterly fantastic! Very impressive indeed.

You do not need to go wild in a small room, and you definitely don't need a sub.

Reactions: nopiano
No, the numbers are almost meaningless because each manufacturer measures them differently. In any case, the proximity of your speakers to walls, corners and the floor all affect the bass response.

In the space you have, you’ll quite likely get plenty to boundary reinforcement. The skill, or good fortune, is in matching the natural roll-off of your chosen speaker with a complementary enhancement from its placement.

Jk0323

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
On ebay at the moment are the last few Amptastic Mini One micro amps, being sold as graded stock as they have slightly imperfect cases. £99. Tiny. Sound truly excellent. You would need to spend a lot more for an appreciable uplift. Pair one with a decent set of speakers. I have an Amptastic paired to some Q Acoustic Concept 20's and a CCA in my office system (about £300 spent all in), and it sounds... utterly fantastic! Very impressive indeed.

You do not need to go wild in a small room, and you definitely don't need a sub.
Why would I get this amp when I have a much more expensive amp I like already? Not trying to be sarcastic, I am curious if there is something actually to be gained. I really like my current yamaha and if I were to upgrade i assumed I'd be paying more.
When it comes to a good amp how much do you want to spend and what sound are you after?
Up to 2k if necessary, though speakers are a more immediate need. I currently have a yamaha as501 that I'm happy with. Looking for clear but more musical than analytical. I want to be able to hear details but not fatigue of the sound. These are only used for music.

abacus

Why would I get this amp when I have a much more expensive amp I like already? Not trying to be sarcastic, I am curious if there is something actually to be gained. I really like my current yamaha and if I were to upgrade i assumed I'd be paying more.

Up to 2k if necessary, though speakers are a more immediate need. I currently have a yamaha as501 that I'm happy with. Looking for clear but more musical than analytical. I want to be able to hear details but not fatigue of the sound. These are only used for music.
If you are looking for clear and musical then you definitely need a 2.1 system , as the bass in a small room with a 2.0 system will not be very clear. (It will feel very strained and uneven without a sub)

Bill

aversaurus

At 2k and under there's so much choice for a smaller room .I love valve Amps in smaller rooms easy to listen to for hours but if you don't like the valve sound then its a integrated and it comes down to the sound you like maybe demo some and see what takes your fancy

TRENDING THREADS