Arcam CD5 CD player cannot do gapless playback (EDIT - software update now available - see post 86)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 201267

Disagree, one should rightfully assume a CDP should play gapless CDs, and I've only heard of two that didn't do it - the CD5 of-course, and Emotiva's one and only CDP.

Arcam have issued a fix, but it's otherwise unacceptable.

And if a manufacturer does not explicitly state this on their spec sheet then they're being DISHOHEST.

I'll give you one example - an ultra high end company of optical vinyl cartridges were open about the fact that they won't play coloured vinyl records.

Gapless CD playback should be 100% expected from consumers - and if it can't then the manufacturer should explicitly say so.
Couldn't of put that better myself.

Reactions: rainsoothe

Gray

Never knew that was the case. Having said that, I’ve nor read any reviews, which I guess would’ve uncovered that info…
Neither did I.
And, funny enough, I've just this minute been looking at this review.
Ken Kessler describes it as better than the best cartridge he's ever heard (and he's heard a few).
For the price (with its necessary equalizer) I wouldn't expect any such limitation.
Not sure whether this plays coloured vinyl - nor did I read the entire review, so I don't know if it was mentioned.....but perhaps it should have been:

podknocker

It is shocking. The integration of firmware, with the transport's optics, servo and laser, shouldn't be an issue these days. CD is (yawn) 41 years old.

If a £50 portable stereo can manage gapless, then your swanky £5000 player should.

It's a sad fact, but many people are drawn towards expensive kit, under the impression that it must be much better quality and fit for purpose.

I've been there and had my fingers burnt many times. I'm so wary and careful these days, but sometimes you do need mistakes to learn from and they can be expensive ones.

Last edited:

mjrussell

May 15, 2024
Visit site
I bought a CD5 in May 2024. It wasn't installed with latest firmware update 6.4 so i installed it from the Arcam website. Easy. Gapless playback works fine now. I tested my Karajan/BPO recording of Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring and tracks flow seamlessly. However, CD text is not available. This seems crazy for 2024. I emailed Arcam support - they replied quickly, confirmed it isn't available and they're working on it - it should be available in a future software update.
My impressions. I was upgrading from a Marantz 6006. The Arcam sounds better. More detailed and generally a brilliant sound. I'm keeping it and am very happy with all its audio aspects. But everything else is way worse than the Marantz. It's as if Arcam thought, let's design the most fantastic sounding CD player for 2024 and give it the worst feature set we can think of. The remote is useless - you can't locate tracks by number - i wanted to play track 26 on a classical CD and had to manually hit 'next track' until i got to 26. On the Marantz controller it has numeric input and this would have taken 2 seconds. The 'repeat all' feature i use often - there's no indication on the CD player that it's on or off. And you have to click a few buttons to access the menu of the controller. Again, on the Marantz easy - 1 button on the controller with an icon on the 6006 display. The CD5 display is hopeless - the main display strip is as if it's behind a layer of cotton wool and the other displays are so dimly lit it's hard to tell whether they're off or on. I tried the 3 digital filter settings and opted for 'slow' as my favourite. But again not so easy to access from the feeble remote. So i recommend the CD5 for the sound but nothing else.

Thanks for those insightful comments. It’s as though they only understand streaming, and have completely forgotten how CD players actually function.

Hidden away somewhere I have an old Marantz CD52SE which had direct button access to tracks and a really bright blue fluorescent display. The nearest today is my super basic Tascam CD-200 which has traditional remote functions and feels like it’ll outlive me, despite its modest entry price of £250ish.

Last edited:

mjrussell

May 15, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for those insightful comments. It’s as though they only understand streaming, and have completely forgotten how CD players actually function.

Hidden away somewhere I have an old Marantz CD52SE which had direct button access to tracks and a really bright blue fluorescent display. The nearest today is my super basic Tascam CD-200 which has traditional remote functions and feels like it’ll outlive me, despite its modest entry price of £250ish.
I was seriously tempted to re-install my Marantz 6006 - it's a proper CD player with sophisticated CD functions and a great display, incorporating CD text. It's built like a tank and comes with a remote that has everything to hand and is ergonomic to use. it's just that, to my ears, the Arcam sounds so much better. Begrudgingly i've stuck with the CD5. And i marvel at how much more detail it reveals. Was just listening to a recording of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony and heard some pizzicato strings i'd never heard before.
I use streaming a lot - qobuz and spotify subscriptions - they're handy - but i have a large CD collection and i still love the sound of CD with the benefit of a booklet and info to hand.

Reactions: manicm and nopiano

Smokiro

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site

Do you know that Sonus Faber brought the new Sonetto G2 line?
How is the Guarneri Memento? What did you compare before to get those?

Last edited:
Do you know that Sonus Faber brought the new Sonetto G2 line?
How is the Guarneri Memento? What did you compare before to get those?
Yes, I follow Sf closely, since I first owned Concertos in 1998. I didn’t compare the Guarneri because they were almost unused, like a ‘barn find’. But I knew the family sound well, especially as these were the last designs of founder Franco Serblin before he parted company with Sf. Nothing’s perfect, but they are very seductive and of course look beautiful. (I also have ATC SCM40, QA 3020i and Mission 760i squirreled away if I fancy a change).

Apologies, off topic.

Smokiro

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I follow Sf closely, since I first owned Concertos in 1998. I didn’t compare the Guarneri because they were almost unused, like a ‘barn find’. But I knew the family sound well, especially as these were the last designs of founder Franco Serblin before he parted company with Sf. Nothing’s perfect, but they are very seductive and of course look beautiful. (I also have ATC SCM40, QA 3020i and Mission 760i squirreled away if I fancy a change).

Apologies, off topic.
I remember those times. We used to think about SF that is triumph of form over content but that is who Italians are. They would dress kettle in outfit. Over the years they showed that was untrue.

Sonettos should be theirs most important line. Interesting how the new G2 would stack up versus Novas for example. How big is the gap.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I remember leaving the Acram cdp behind because of it's problems.

Arcam seem to have a trend in selling things with unfinished firmware.
I recall it didn't have a FF or RW function either.

There was a silver lining however as I got the Arcam sa30 discounted because of similar issues with being unfinished.
I liked the sound etc etc so much I hung back on it.

It's that silly to leave out such rudimentary features it becomes actually unexpected to people and can cause those buying mistakes we all make.

Last edited:

Smokiro

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
I was seriously tempted to re-install my Marantz 6006 - it's a proper CD player with sophisticated CD functions and a great display, incorporating CD text. It's built like a tank and comes with a remote that has everything to hand and is ergonomic to use. it's just that, to my ears, the Arcam sounds so much better. Begrudgingly i've stuck with the CD5. And i marvel at how much more detail it reveals. Was just listening to a recording of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony and heard some pizzicato strings i'd never heard before.
I use streaming a lot - qobuz and spotify subscriptions - they're handy - but i have a large CD collection and i still love the sound of CD with the benefit of a booklet and info to hand.

You didnt consider Marantz 50n? I just checked the price they lowered from initial asking price.