Amp for ATC scm 11 s.

JOHN23

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
i am new to the forum and i need assistance. I bought a pair of ATC SCM 11 speakers and I am looking for an amplifier.My budget is around the 2000 to 3500 Euros. ATC s have low sensitivity ( it is claimed to be 85 db) and the manufacturer assumes an amplifier in the region of 75 to 300 Watt RMS.
Room size is about 14x165 ft and Jazz is my favourite music.
Do you think that REGA AETHOS ( 2X 125 WRMS) is powerful enough to drive the speakers and produce a detail sound?
What about ATC P1 , ΗΕGEL Η 190 , ROTEL RA 1592?
I would really appreciate if i could get some guidance especially if you are using the ATC SCM 11 's and what amplifier have you paired it with?
Thank you,

Welcome to the forum,
Cannot help you with regards the Rega as it is quite rare and I have never heard one, or seen one come to that. On paper it should work.
Obviously the ATC amp mentioned will do the job as will all the others.
My money would be on the Rotel or the Hegel but it pretty much depends on what your sources are going to be and what facilities you need on an amp.
I feel sure other ATC users will be along to advise later.
By the way, I hope that room length of 165 ft was a typo.

Reactions: JOHN23
Assuming it’s 16.5 feet then any of those amps will be fine. ATC’s P1 is a power amp, iirc, so you’d be looking at their integrated SIA100 or 150 models for your speakers. The 100 is within budget. It’s made in England and has a 6 year warranty, which none of the others have.

The Rotel is now in mark 2 guise I believe. The more powerful H390 Hegel is even better if you can find a used one. I’ve never heard the Rega.

My discontinued Primare is rated at about 120wpc, though typically tested at around 160wpc. It’s plenty! My larger ATCs have similar sensitivity to yours The current Primare I35 is about £3700 and just won the Hifi + magazine ‘best integrated amp under £10k’ award for 2021.

Can you get to see or hear any of the contenders as it may come down to connectivity and appearance as much as sound.

Reactions: JOHN23 and Al ears

JOHN23

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum,
Cannot help you with regards the Rega as it is quite rare and I have never heard one, or seen one come to that. On paper it should work.
Obviously the ATC amp mentioned will do the job as will all the others.
My money would be on the Rotel or the Hegel but it pretty much depends on what your sources are going to be and what facilities you need on an amp.
I feel sure other ATC users will be along to advise later.
By the way, I hope that room length of 165 ft was a typo.
Thank you very much. My room is 14x16,5 ft.

Reactions: Al ears

JOHN23

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
Assuming it’s 16.5 feet then any of those amps will be fine. ATC’s P1 is a power amp, iirc, so you’d be looking at their integrated SIA100 or 150 models for your speakers. The 100 is within budget. It’s made in England and has a 6 year warranty, which none of the others have.

The Rotel is now in mark 2 guise I believe. The more powerful H390 Hegel is even better if you can find a used one. I’ve never heard the Rega.

My discontinued Primare is rated at about 120wpc, though typically tested at around 160wpc. It’s plenty! My larger ATCs have similar sensitivity to yours The current Primare I35 is about £3700 and just won the Hifi + magazine ‘best integrated amp under £10k’ award for 2021.

Can you get to see or hear any of the contenders as it may come down to connectivity and appearance as much as sound.
Thank you. I listened to SIA 100 , but it did't prooved to give detailed sound. I will consider Primare I35 as well.Thanks.

Thank you. I listened to SIA 100 , but it did't prooved to give detailed sound. I will consider Primare I35 as well.Thanks.
Ok, but I’d look carefully at the source or setup then, because that should give pretty much the definitive ATC sound, which certainly doesn’t lack detail. If anything, some listeners prefer a slightly reduced presence compared to a typical ATC as it’s more tolerant towards poorer recordings.

Have you heard any system that has the detail you seek? (I’m wondering if your reference isn’t live music)

Reactions: rainsoothe
It has already been pointed out that the P1 is a power amp. Presumably he thought it was an integrated amp as the others he mentions are.

I know the P1 has been pointed as a power amp by another member. I am sure and I trust the OP is capable of responding to my subsequent accordingly and thereby hopefully giving an insight as to what source/s or other components he might be using.

JOHN23

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
Ok, but I’d look carefully at the source or setup then, because that should give pretty much the definitive ATC sound, which certainly doesn’t lack detail. If anything, some listeners prefer a slightly reduced presence compared to a typical ATC as it’s more tolerant towards poorer recordings.

Have you heard any system that has the detail you seek? (I’m wondering if your reference isn’t live music)
Yes it was the bigger brother ( SIÁ-150 Watt) that provided detailed sound from the same source and in the same room!! However it costs 1000 Euros more. Do you think that the power amp ATC P1 paired with a cheaper pre-amp would be the solution?
Thanks.

I see. Odd combo. Can you not find an ATC CA2 preamp instead.
Not saying it will not work well but most would tend to favour the pre/power combo to come from the same manufacturer, if only for the aesthetics.
Having said that in a pre/power combo of any nature the quality of the preamp is crucial.
Better still instead of buying the two boxes, and paying well for the actual enclosures themselves, why not concentrate on an integrated?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS