Dedicated Home Cineam Room - Help and Guidance sought after

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You also cant beat high quality sound aswell BB - what you gain you can also lose.

In the ops instance to get atmos he is looking to sacrifice a sub and quality pj to keep in budget

You can look at that decision both ways.

If he box's clever he can likely have it all, or build as you go if the basic infrastructure is there ie cables there.

What do you do first if you can't have it all.

If you buy worse quality speakers and sub to begin with them to upgrade you need to replace the lot.
Rather than just add additional higher quality to the room.

See what I mean

By that argument, why not go for 2.0 system with high end speakers?? ;)

It's all about whether you're able to extract all that's coded on the disc. If you don't have enough speakers to hear what's coded on the disc, you're losing sound.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I knew you would say that but what happens with 7 channels material with only 5 speakers if you setup 5.1.4 - exactly the same. You won't realise it's not been there until it's there so you can live without it.

You can extract all that's on a disc with a yamaha atmos sound bar would you trade a full system for that course not.

Adding channels changes the sound presentation but it can't improve it fundamentally - your on the speaker / kit limitation

It really depends on how much you end up compromising. I don't think I've compromised on sound at all, even though I didn't get MK speakers. As you've said before, all you need is a top class subwoofer. :)

There's a fundamental difference between 7.1 vs 5.1 and Atmos. If you have a 5.1 system, the extra 2 channels will get divided into the surrounds. So you won't lose sound. If you have an Atmos disc however, you'll lose out on Atmos sound completely.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I used to agree but one sub is not enough 2 is barely enough 4 really is minimum for a true cinematic sound that i have heard but hard in a domestic setting admittedly

You don't need atmos to get sound directly above your head a good system does that phantom so pans of planes or helicopters go from front to back or whatever with clarity or you can get sound directly above your head again phantom but still good

That's not where atmos is impressive to me it fills in a gap in the sound so adds a dynamic that is missing when it's not there.

But most of the important content is coming from the main channels so that is going to set the bar for sq.

I have not heard your system BB so can't comment but 2 weeks ago demod 3 different atmos systems and my own in 4 days. There was a big sonic difference between all of them, there is a ceiling for sound quality I am sure but I doubt your at it - comment hinestly not intended to be offensive I appreciate it could come across like that

My speakers are based on Monitor Audio Silver series. Son of SJ has heard my system. He'll say how it is if he reads this message. Personally, I couldn't be happier. The KK subwoofer blends in beautifully with rest of the system.

Aref

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi ya ll

I have a got a new LG LED. But i have an issue now:

When i switch off and then on all the digital channels are gone!! and i have to rescan them every time i witch on!

Any one can help me plz? thanks in advance!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
My speakers are based on Monitor Audio Silver series. Son of SJ has heard my system. He'll say how it is if he reads this message. Personally, I couldn't be happier. The KK subwoofer blends in beautifully with rest of the system.

Bigboss's whole system varies between very good indeed and excellent, I would say very good indeed for the audio (including his subwoofer and 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos) and excellent for his Sony projector and Draper screen. I can certainly confirm that his subwoofer is powerful enough for his room, and is certainly at least as effective in his room as my SVS PC13-Ultra (old-style, with 750W BASH amplifier) is in my 18' x 14' x 10'6" room.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi rocketrazor, have you seen this thread in av forums, details of pioneer 11 channel amps due out in october.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pioneer-sc-lx89-thread.1973350/#post-22556433

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Simon, I applaud your excitement, but a bit more care in the reading of the link shows very near the top that these Pioneer receivers are still only 9-channel amplifiers, but they can process 11 channels. It may be trumpeted as a new feature because this is the first time that Pioneer receivers have had 11-channel processing, though Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have for years had 9-channel receivers with 11-channel processing. Rocketrazor will still need an additional stereo amplifier if he buys one of these new Pioneers in October or (preferably) later.

Aref said:
Hi ya ll

I have a got a new LG LED. But i have an issue now:

When i switch off and then on all the digital channels are gone!! and i have to rescan them every time i witch on!

?

Any one can help me plz? thanks in advance!

You should be able to save the autoscan. Which LG model is it?

simonlewis said:
Hi rocketrazor, have you seen this thread in av forums, details of pioneer 11 channel amps due out in october.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pioneer-sc-lx89-thread.1973350/#post-22556433

I'm keeping an eye out on 11 channel receivers. The only 2 in the market are Onkyo NR3030 and Integra DTR-70.6.

Integra is the custom / luxury arm of Onkyo, mainly for sale in the US but you can buy it in Europe.

http://hometheaterreview.com/integra-dtr-706-112-channel-av-receiver-reviewed/

Anthem has planned one, but no official US / Europe announcement yet.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Update......

had the builder round during the week and the loft is out of the question, appears the pieces I thought were holding the roof up are actually holding the ceiling up, so that's even more work so that's a no go!

the garage might need extra work as well! Waiting for a quote back now but it's looking expensive!

had a demo of a cinema system, was a full blown setup so a little out of my price range (equivalent setup cost in my garage approx £30k, but this includes wiring, kit and a rather fancy cloth finish rather than plaster so speakers, cables etc hidden and it makes it easy to amend at later date) . Was very impressed with it. It was a MK setup with two subs, each with a sub facing out and down, very very good. Projector was the JVC 500 4k shift one. I'll have to wait now for the builder (will get more quotes) but in all honestly it's not looking good at the mo as I suspect the building works for the garage will be too much.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
had a demo of a cinema system, was a full blown setup so a little out of my price range (equivalent setup cost in my garage approx £30k, but this includes wiring, kit and a rather fancy cloth finish rather than plaster so speakers, cables etc hidden and it makes it easy to amend at later date) . Was very impressed with it. It was a MK setup with two subs, each with a sub facing out and down, very very good. Projector was the JVC 500 4k shift one. I'll have to wait now for the builder (will get more quotes) but in all honestly it's not looking good at the mo as I suspect the building works for the garage will be too much.
£30k is a lot of cake. There's a huge amount of choice out there for that sort of money, so choose wisely. And don't buy a "faux" 4K PJ - buy one that can show genuine 4K.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
rocketrazor said:
£30k is a lot of cake. There's a huge amount of choice out there for that sort of money, so choose wisely. And don't buy a "faux" 4K PJ - buy one that can show genuine 4K.

Add to that the cost of doing the garage and its about £40K, I don't even have half that budget. Perhaps I have seriously under estimated the cost of the actual building work involved! I agree though if I had that sort of money it would be a genuine 4K projector (Sony). Might end up just saving for an OLED in a few years time at this rate now!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just some more info re dtsx and stmos setup for you. Basically epithet DTS you can use pretty much any speaker placement, even upfiring speakers for atmos:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dts-answers-atmos-dave-casey-dtsx#bGKgPO6Ru4rypgmB.97

i can't make the link clicky beacuse a stupid header at the top of the page covers the hyperlink box and when you try and part the link it selects the url box instead of allowing you to paste, this is on iPad arrg!

back on topic, I'm sure you could do some of the work your self I.e. Install the cabling for speakers and a projector and add things such as extra speakers as you go.

I would look at buying a good avr such as the Denon or Marantz with nine channels and a projector and then grow your system around this as you go. The thing is, how big is your garage? Do you need all those surround speakers.. Why not go for a really good 5.1.4. Buy a really good sub rather than 2. In the future you could add an extra power amp, sub, speakers etc ....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Add to that the cost of doing the garage and its about £40K, I don't even have half that budget. Perhaps I have seriously under estimated the cost of the actual building work involved! I agree though if I had that sort of money it would be a genuine 4K projector (Sony). Might end up just saving for an OLED in a few years time at this rate now!
It's all very nice visiting purpose built demonstration facilities, but some of these facilities will have cost an excessive amount of money and have been designed to get the absolute best out of the equipment to be demonstrated in it. They won't necessarily bear any similarities to the average living room, and sometimes not even your layout/positioning. Don't get me wrong, it is great to hear what a product is ultimately capable of, but if that bears no resemblance to what it will sound like in your room, then a sensible head needs to be worn and appreciate that fact. Stay grounded in reality, otherwise you're budget will just spiral and/or you'll just become disillusioned because you suddenly can't afford what you want to do.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Just some more info re dtsx and stmos setup for you. Basically epithet DTS you can use pretty much any speaker placement, even upfiring speakers for atmos:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dts-answers-atmos-dave-casey-dtsx#...

i can't make the link clicky beacuse a stupid header at the top of the page covers the hyperlink box and when you try and part the link it selects the url box instead of allowing you to paste, this is on iPad arrg!

back on topic, I'm sure you could do some of the work your self I.e. Install the cabling for speakers and a projector and add things such as extra speakers as you go.

I would look at buying a good avr such as the Denon or Marantz with nine channels and a projector and then grow your system around this as you go. The thing is, how big is your garage? Do you need all those surround speakers.. Why not go for a really good 5.1.4. Buy a really good sub rather than 2. In the future you could add an extra power amp, sub, speakers etc ....

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dts-answers-atmos-dave-casey-dtsx#...

clicky now!

When they do your garage conversion, ask them to put all the cables in. So it should be done in that 10K quote.

Cost of Sony projector + decent screen: 2K

Cost of AVR + blu ray player: 1K

Cost of 11 speakers: 2-3K

Cost of a good subwoofer: 1K

Cost of installation: 1-2K (shouldn't cost more if the cables are in already).

Cost of cables: £100-200

Cost of furniture: Depends on what you want.

So you can easily get a superb system with garage conversion for less than 20K. The system cost I've suggested will help you achieve performance similar to what I have.

TRENDING THREADS