Dedicated Home Cineam Room - Help and Guidance sought after

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
no probs mate. Trying to sort out some dates and times for builders for some quotes, but work and my 3 month old little girl seem to be taking up all my time at the mo. Hope to sit down over the weekend and have a plan of attack for next week.

No more demos at present, waiting back now on the quotes. I only demoed as I had the week off and I read about the cloth finish which I was interested in seeing and gives me extra quotes to get from builders!

Hope you enjoy your new PJ, picture looked really good on another thread

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats good to hear you have still got momentum with it - building works at home is hard work, especially with little ones, but they do appreciate it more than you realise.

My son who is just 3 was moaning the other day - "where has my big screen gone" - now the bed sheet is down, I thought that was a classic.

He has also decided Star Wars is his favourite even though he has never seen it :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi rocket seen that you can the yamaha 3040 which is 9 amp channel with atmos and it uses sabre ultra dacs for not much more than a bag of sand.

I am not a lover of yamaha ypao but it's good spec for the price

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi rocket seen that you can the yamaha 3040 which is 9 amp channel with atmos and it uses sabre ultra dacs for not much more than a bag of sand.

I am not a lover of yamaha ypao but it's good spec for the price

Not sure it's HDMI 2.0a and HDCP2.2 compliant. I'll need to investigate, cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thought id give you an update on this guys. I've decided not to go ahead with it. After careful thinking about cost and probable use I just decided it wasn't worth. If the garage was attached to the house I'd have already signed the papers and the builders would be in now but as its not attached I just don't think I'm going to use it as much as a I thought and therefor it's not worth the cost. Will look at getting a bigger tv / projector for the lounge but it's not a great layout and size so it doesn't help.

thanks as always though for all the great help and useful ideas you all contributed, it was fun trying to sorted it out but ultimately just not the best use of the money

cheers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rocket
What made you come to that decision, that's a shame.

There is always a better use of money than for home cinema. If I add up all in have spent then it's seems like a stupid awful lot of money just to watch the odd film and listen to music.

But that's how it is with every hobby. Carp fishing was my other hobby that's expensive as well.

Jag at Epic home Cinema has a purpose built cinema at the bottom of his garden. So does Ricky at Kalibrate. These double as work for them now but they are the same really as your plan. It works for them.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I guess I just realised that spending about £20-£25K (including building costs) just wasn't worth it in the end mate. I sat there the other day and thought 'if I had a cinema in the garage would I use it tonight', I did it several nights and every answer was no.

Also on top of this the topic of moving came up and I think I might have finally got the better half to consider this in a few years time, so again why spend the money now?

It is a shame but I'm happy I've made the right choice.

Now I need to work out if I can get a projector in the lounge at all!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If thats your decision then thats fair enough mate.

The benefit of having truely dedicated space opens so many options for true performance that you dont have when you share the space with another function. However the negative is the motivation to go outside the house and potentially being on your own if the wife and kids dont want to come as well such as in this house. That wouldnt bother me that much but when you sit and think about it its a lot of money, time, aggrevation, effort and commitment to even get there it seems a bloody daunting task just to watch a film for a few hours here and there.

Thats why I thought you needed to demo as much as you could because its all about motivation at this stage of a project like this.

EDIT - However having the cinema in your home is the difference between just watching a film and being genuinely thrilled by it - that is where the money is going. Its bringing that film to life that allow you to properly escape for those few hours your watching it. I have been looking and there is a lot of trailers for good looking 2016 films if that might help get you going again ;)

I know where you're coming from. Last year I put an offer on a house (that eventually fell through). It had a converted garage at the end of the garden. It was absolutely perfect for a dedicated cinema room, but the issue was having to walk to it at night in all weather conditions! It just wasn't worth it. Having it in a place where you're more likely to use it (even though with compromises) is better than the perfect cinema room you won't visit that often.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The only Issue I could see would be the room being cold / uncomfortable initially - however I would pop down and turn the system on and leave it for half hour to warm anyway before sitting down becasue it will sound / look better forr the start of the film so in that time the room would have warmed up from the system alone let alone heating

Yes not quite as cosy as just going into your lounge - but then its a lounge not a dedicated room.

I am fanatical about performance so the dedicated room appeals to me - thats why I had a window bricked in when we did our extension because I wanted minimal glass in the room and for the room to be symmetrical / treated symmetrically. A window one side threw that out.

Looking at it as a garage - who would want to spend anytime in there, no appeal from that - kitted out to exactly how you like it - I wouldnt want to leave it, I would be trying to get down there as much as I could, because I would want to be working on the system to make sure | was getting absolute max / flawless as performance I could.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I know where you're coming from. Last year I put an offer on a house (that eventually fell through). It had a converted garage at the end of the garden. It was absolutely perfect for a dedicated cinema room, but the issue was having to walk to it at night in all weather conditions! It just wasn't worth it. Having it in a place where you're more likely to use it (even though with compromises) is better than the perfect cinema room you won't visit that often.

Looking at you setup bigboss you say

Screen: Draper Sesame 2.1 with ReAct 2.1

I'm guessing the Draper is the screen and the ReAct is the ceiling mouting device? Am I correct?

Cheers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
React is the material which boosts contrast by absorbing light rather then reflecting it, then obviously reduces overall brightness as well and is not AT

maxresdefault.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Screen Innovations have some good videos of their black diamond screens - thats triple expensive but the react is something like that, more grey than black

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have seen the react and the Seymour XD which is an actual measured 1.0 gain screen - there is a lot of difference. A lot of the time the screen ratings seem higher than the meaured. I assume the rated is if the screen is at the perfect angle

For example the 2 sections I have here of Seymour XD and UF Material

XD is 1.2 Gain in reality 1.0 gain

UF is 1.0 Gain in reality 0.8 gain

Even on a piece smaller than an A4 sheet of paper you can clearly see the difference in the brightness.

I have ended up with the UF material purely because I could see the weave of the XD - even though really I wanted the XD. Hope I made the right choice

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
These are things you have to see for yourself what you prefer. In all light room I think a screen that improves contrast is the way to go - just counteract that with as bright PJ as possible

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
I guess I just realised that spending about £20-£25K (including building costs) just wasn't worth it in the end mate. I sat there the other day and thought 'if I had a cinema in the garage would I use it tonight', I did it several nights and every answer was no.

Also on top of this the topic of moving came up and I think I might have finally got the better half to consider this in a few years time, so again why spend the money now?

It is a shame but I'm happy I've made the right choice.

Now I need to work out if I can get a projector in the lounge at all!

Hello Rockerazor, I'm entirely with you and with what Bigboss says in post number 209. To me, Home Cinema consists of two parts, Home and Cinema, of equal importance. Sure I want the best possible cinematic experience that I can afford, but in a home context. I personally - I have no problem with others who think differently - wouldn't want to be going outside to an exteral converted garage. But the home bit is equally important, which is why I probably watch most films on my kitchen system (8.1 sound system, 60" plasma set), though it's not quite as good as the parlour system (12.1 sound system, 65" plasma set). I can't even be bothered to walk ten yards from the kitchen to the parlour! I like eating and watching films at the same time! In fact, sometimes I'm really lazy and I watch television and films on my bedroom system (7.2 sound system, 42" plasma television)! And the home context, for me, means that I'm not in favour of blacking out walls or windows, which Ellisdj encourages people to do! *acute*

And if there's a chance that you may be moving in a year or two, then your decision becomes even more logical.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Son of SJ - if you saw it you would see why - its the way you get the biggest and best picture you will ever see - nothing else comes close which is why people do it. An alternative is to have the right type of curtains that go all round the room - open its light, closed its dark. I have seen people do this as well

It's also about framing when there is something between you and the picture that is visible it ruins the illusion of immersion. This improves a tv picture as well. The worst thing about a tv picture is its very visibly framed quite often with silver

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Big tv is great because hugely reduced room related effect on contrast etc but the image will still have a visible frame top bottom and on the sides and you will still see his parlour or kitchen whatever room it goes in before you see the screen as soon as there is any light from the TV.

I didn't know this had any effect until recently but it does. When there is nothing to see but the image that is the holy grail.

There is a way round it for tv but SonofSJ will poo poo it even though if he did it he would be sold instantly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts