Dedicated Home Cineam Room - Help and Guidance sought after

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's a phone camera with settings set on auto so possibly highlighted a few highlights but it can only photo what's there. Bearing in mind that was only virgin 1080i as well.

David you can have things how you want but there is no doubt in my mind that purely blacked out is best and when it's not like it I am now very aware of how much the ambient light from whatever light source effects things.

This effects pj contrast bits the same applies for tv as well. In theory it's even more important because you can hide speakers and kit behind a PJ screen but with a tv its all on show and in your eyeline all the time. Same as everything else in the room if sit a bit away from the screen.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
David you can have things how you want but there is no doubt in my mind that purely blacked out is best and when it's not like it I am now very aware of how much the ambient light from whatever light source effects things.
I agree, properly blacked out is best. I've used Blutack on a couple of the power lights of my electronics because they affect the picture - my Oppo used to sit on a shelf level at the back of the room, level with the PJ screen. When I stuck my finger on the light (with the PJ off) it was surprising just how much of that light was lighting up the screen, and that was about twelve feet away! I like blue lights, but they're so intense they just light everything up!

I had to have my ceiling replastered earlier this year, but I've not painted it yet as it has improved my contrast. Whilst it isn't really much difference to an off-white colour, it's far less reflective as it is, so it's staying as it is until I have to paint it! this just goes to show that a room doesn't necessarily need dark colours, it just needs less reflective (smoother) surfaces.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
ellisdj said:
I agree, properly blacked out is best. I've used Blutack on a couple of the power lights of my electronics because they affect the picture - my Oppo used to sit on a shelf level at the back of the room, level with the PJ screen. When I stuck my finger on the light (with the PJ off) it was surprising just how much of that light was lighting up the screen, and that was about twelve feet away! I like blue lights, but they're so intense they just light everything up!

I had to have my ceiling replastered earlier this year, but I've not painted it yet as it has improved my contrast. Whilst it isn't really much difference to an off-white colour, it's far less reflective as it is, so it's staying as it is until I have to paint it! this just goes to show that a room doesn't necessarily need dark colours, it just needs less reflective (smoother) surfaces.

yeah I've had to put some black tape over my Denon BD player because the Denon link light is really bright and is more apparent when we have the lights off. I've even used a black marker pen on the flashing lights on my 8 port network switch to darken the flashing send and receive lights :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have 2 sets here, I wish I had bought a set of the blackouts.

I bought a set of silver and black - the LED on my Bryston are huge and savage bright and still bright even with the lightdims on.

They are bloody fiddly getting them off and then onto their new home, lucky they give you a lot of little ones

TRENDING THREADS