Dedicated Home Cineam Room - Help and Guidance sought after

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Just some more info re dtsx and stmos setup for you. Basically epithet DTS you can use pretty much any speaker placement, even upfiring speakers for atmos:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dts-answers-atmos-dave-casey-dtsx#...

i can't make the link clicky beacuse a stupid header at the top of the page covers the hyperlink box and when you try and part the link it selects the url box instead of allowing you to paste, this is on iPad arrg!

back on topic, I'm sure you could do some of the work your self I.e. Install the cabling for speakers and a projector and add things such as extra speakers as you go.

I would look at buying a good avr such as the Denon or Marantz with nine channels and a projector and then grow your system around this as you go. The thing is, how big is your garage? Do you need all those surround speakers.. Why not go for a really good 5.1.4. Buy a really good sub rather than 2. In the future you could add an extra power amp, sub, speakers etc ....

Thanks, I'll have a look at the link. I've thought about maybe doing some of the install work myself. I'll still thinking it through

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
rocketrazor said:
Add to that the cost of doing the garage and its about £40K, I don't even have half that budget. Perhaps I have seriously under estimated the cost of the actual building work involved! I agree though if I had that sort of money it would be a genuine 4K projector (Sony). Might end up just saving for an OLED in a few years time at this rate now!
It's all very nice visiting purpose built demonstration facilities, but some of these facilities will have cost an excessive amount of money and have been designed to get the absolute best out of the equipment to be demonstrated in it. They won't necessarily bear any similarities to the average living room, and sometimes not even your layout/positioning. Don't get me wrong, it is great to hear what a product is ultimately capable of, but if that bears no resemblance to what it will sound like in your room, then a sensible head needs to be worn and appreciate that fact. Stay grounded in reality, otherwise you're budget will just spiral and/or you'll just become disillusioned because you suddenly can't afford what you want to do.

Cheers, it's made me realise what can be done with lot of money, but I fully appreciate that that is a system that is way out of my price range and I need to try and demo some systems more suited to my requirements.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
When they do your garage conversion, ask them to put all the cables in. So it should be done in that 10K quote.

Cost of Sony projector + decent screen: 2K

Cost of AVR + blu ray player: 1K

Cost of 11 speakers: 2-3K

Cost of a good subwoofer: 1K

Cost of installation: 1-2K (shouldn't cost more if the cables are in already).

Cost of cables: £100-200

Cost of furniture: Depends on what you want.

So you can easily get a superb system with garage conversion for less than 20K. The system cost I've suggested will help you achieve performance similar to what I have.

Cheers, these were certainly more the price's I was thinking about, although for some strange reason I under estimated the cost of the 11 speakers, not sure where I went wrong there!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Rocket where did you go an demo?

The Cinema Company in Wickford. I went primarily for a Cinema demo but also to see the finish in the room. They have a fabric finish on the walls and ceilings meaning you can hide all cabling behind it and amend easily in the future. it's a really great idea and a brilliant looking finish. I just didn't realise it would be so expensive!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Rocket - I didnt know of that company - interresting they using MK's - not surprised they are bloody good for movies

It can be expensive if you buy the expensive stuff - this was my whole point of arguement with BB earlier in the thread.

Having an atmos setup will either push or thin out your budget depending on what level of system you want to have put in.

Money aside - did the demo make you want to have a simialr system at home to enjoy all the time - that is the crux of it

Channeling cables behind the walls need not be expensive at all. The walls may need replastering afterwards. In my old house, it wasn't needed as they chased cables behind the walls neatly.

I have no doubt in my mind that Atmos setup is the way to go for a dedicated cinema room. This is based on my experience with both options.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Money aside - did the demo make you want to have a simialr system at home to enjoy all the time - that is the crux of it

yeah, it sounded awesome. I so the Dark Knight clip where Batman grabs the guy in Hong Kong (I think) and also the start of I Am Legend where he opens up the Mustang, wow! I then heard a Dolby Atmos demo disc, I didn't think to much of the Transformers clip on it but they had some rain and some wind (two different clips) and the rain clip was just out of this world.

Money aside I'd replace the projector with a Sony 4K one and then get that identical system (would demo more to check first though)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Channeling cables behind the walls need not be expensive at all. The walls may need replastering afterwards. In my old house, it wasn't needed as they chased cables behind the walls neatly.

I have no doubt in my mind that Atmos setup is the way to go for a dedicated cinema room. This is based on my experience with both options.

its the channeling at a later date that just causes so many issues, dust, paint, plastering etc etc. Though I agree Atmos is a must!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
when you got your inwall speakers did they come with a case for the back, or just the speaker itself? If it was just the speaker was yours installed that way or did you use a casing for them? Ta

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
thanks, I saw some bits online about in wall speaker installs and they all had back boxes, I'm not worried about that so that's good news for me! Out of interest how do the attach to the wall. Is it a bracket, a clip or do they screw in?

How difficult was it to set up the projector? I've never done it before but if I went DIY install i'd have to! Although I'd have it calibrated but that's another discussion if it all goes ahead.

There's a screw and a clip. It isn't difficult to install.

Check installation instructions here:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/trimless-200#downloads

Setting up the projector is easy. You can do it yourself. The challenge for me was installing the drop down projector screen. If you're going for a fixed screen, it should be easy.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
cheers, I'll check that out. I was thinking to start going for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup (installing the extra two speakers but not getting the Amp yet to save cost) I'm assuming the Marantz will allow me to use the Amp for the extra two channels and it doesn't matter which two I pick, ie it doesn't matter if i pick rear, sides or ceilings?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its good that it has had that effect and you have experienced a good system to set you a target to work towards but at your means

I have just got a Sony 4K PJ, serious bit of kit, for me much better than the JVC X500 - need to order my screen still takes weeks and install it so it wont be ready to demo for a good few weeks. Its going to be huge because its very close !!! Serious Immersive Experience once its done - not for the faint hearted I can tell you that from my testing so far. Proper Retina work out :)

I would be interested to give you a demo of a 5.2 system and see how you think it stacks up to an atmos one.

The dolby demo disc is good for selling it from the rain demo - but its a demo disc so its mastered very much a certain way - they should be showing film demos but the only demos I have had have been upscaled standard films - which adds a dynamic but seems the rob the sound of a bit of space. This is obvious as it must be taking some of the L & C for one ceiling speaker and R&C for another etc so its only duplicating other dedicated channels - is still good.

Transformers here will show you just how good just 5.2 can sound in a small room - I have not heard many systems demos that are this good. That sounds particualrly good on this system because of the control of the sound especailly the bass

You could demo with just the TV - but the sound for some reason seems better when its behind the picture, so best to wait.

I will be putting the TV up for sale in the next day or so, now the make shift pj testing screen is down and I can get to it to take pictures etc

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
lets wait until you have it all set up mate. Your layout might give me some idea's and i'm keen (even though I can't afford it to see the 4K projector) *biggrin*

rocketrazor said:
cheers, I'll check that out.  I was thinking to start going for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup (installing the extra two speakers but not getting the Amp yet to save cost) I'm assuming the Marantz will allow me to use the Amp for the extra two channels and it doesn't matter which two I pick, ie it doesn't matter if i pick rear, sides or ceilings?

Yes, Marantz allows you to select speaker layout you want to use.

ellisdj said:
Its good that it has had that effect and you have experienced a good system to set you a target to work towards but at your means

I have just got a Sony 4K PJ, serious bit of kit, for me much better than the JVC X500 - need to order my screen still takes weeks and install it so it wont be ready to demo for a good few weeks.  Its going to be huge because its very close !!!  Serious Immersive Experience once its done - not for the faint hearted I can tell you that from my testing so far.  Proper Retina work out :)

I would be interested to give you a demo of a 5.2 system and see how you think it stacks up to an atmos one.

The dolby demo disc is good for selling it from the rain demo - but its a demo disc so its mastered very much a certain way - they should be showing film demos but the only demos I have had have been upscaled standard films - which adds a dynamic but seems the rob the sound of a bit of space.  This is obvious as it must be taking some of the L & C for one ceiling speaker and R&C for another etc so its only duplicating other dedicated channels - is still good.

Transformers here will show you just how good just 5.2 can sound in a small room - I have not heard many systems demos that are this good.  That sounds particualrly good on this system because of the control of the sound especailly the bass

You could demo with just the TV - but the sound for some reason seems better when its behind the picture, so best to wait.

I will be putting the TV up for sale in the next day or so, now the make shift pj testing screen is down and I can get to it to take pictures etc

It's interesting you didn't wait for the new projectors. Were there any significant differences?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes BB - the newer model has got a lot more actually HDR Support and faster bandwith to support 10bits @ 4.2.0 at 60p. Current model only does that at 24p - thats all I care about though so not bothered by that

Also a lot higher contrast and the bulb last a 1/3 x longer - so ouch in some regards - but the fact it was a going out model means I could buy it because of the reduced price but it has still smashed my all time most expensive AV product ever bought record. I got an ex dem with 100 hours on it - so practically brand new really when the life expectancy is 4000 hours for a significant saving. I bought it before IFA in case someone else beat me to it.

I have bought a Sony VW500 - chuffed to bits mate really am

Plan is to get a 2.5ish metre wide scope screen and with my close viewing distance its bloody big

ellisdj said:
If anyone cares I have listed my 65VT65 on AVF for sale, make a cracking buy for someone, I have literally squeezed as much out of it as you will get for PQ and its a cracking TV, 3D is stonkingly Good, worked bloody hard to get that to where it is - super impressive stuff.  Going to miss it, been an awesome TV its been treaured by me and my family for that as something of this quality should.

Are your 3D3 glasses compatible with the Sony projector? If so, don't sell it. I've got 3D3 as well, much better than the Sony.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have demo'd at the close distance and the VW500 was the only one that handled the fast motion well enough for me. I had my heart set on a JVC X500 but I found it really hard to watch. The blacks appeared better but for me overall it was worse to watch than the Sony 55ES.

I have also had a big sheet up here to check the size and height I wanted the image to be. Its funny when I first spec'd what I thought I would want in terms of height - that is exactly where the picture looks best to me, despite it being suggested higher as being better. So thats very lucky.

But I am going for a slightly bigger screen than what I first thought I wanted - with this PJ the bigger you go the better it appears to be, they might all the same, this is my first one. I have no issue selling the 3D3 glasses - the TV needs to come with 2 pairs as new, especially the pair calibrated for 3D. I will just 2 more pairs. I am really going to miss that 3D calibrated - it literally took me hours, it has been the calibration I have been most proud of :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If anyone cares I have listed my 65VT65 on AVF for sale, make a cracking buy for someone, I have literally squeezed as much out of it as you will get for PQ and its a cracking TV, 3D is stonkingly Good, worked bloody hard to get that to where it is - super impressive stuff. Going to miss it, been an awesome TV its been treaured by me and my family for that as something of this quality should.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If anyone cares I have listed my 65VT65 on AVF for sale, make a cracking buy for someone, I have literally squeezed as much out of it as you will get for PQ and its a cracking TV, 3D is stonkingly Good, worked bloody hard to get that to where it is - super impressive stuff. Going to miss it, been an awesome TV its been treaured by me and my family for that as something of this quality should.

good price for this TV in particularly with all the the hard work that's gone into it, and I bet all this time calibrating is worth more than the TV alone...Great skin tones as well!

hope it goes to a great home of appreciation :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Series 1 - they were just random TV snaps, certainly not the pinnacle of that TV, far from it.

I looked at the Hollyoaks pics and had to crack that joke - whats the odds of catching them all pulling silly faces :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Rocket what have you been up to, I derailed your thread dude sorry??

Have you been out for more demos? Ricky @ Kalibrate could be a good visit for you as he uses an inwall setup thats completely different speakers to MK - he uses Power Sound Audio. I think they are quite a lot cheaper,. sounded good when I was there. Also using Dirac for the room eq setup different to Auddessey in Marantz / Denon. Technically more superior I think

He really knows his onions as well with PJ's and is a really helpful nice man

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts