Dedicated Home Cineam Room - Help and Guidance sought after

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
SonofSJ - sorry I missed a few of your points - the other TV is just a cheaper LG LED, I think I have mentioned it on here before. No I have not calibrated it, I only see kids programmes on it so not bothered.

It looks ok until you go and put the same thing on the panny. In terms of calibrating the PJ - they have very limited controls - to get the level of calibration like I am used to means buying a lumagen which actually takes it up another level at the same time but adds more cost, even though also more versatility

While I know that would be better we will see, will I do it myself or have someone in.

I have limited time so might have to have someone in - will see when I get there - long way to go yet

BB. I am sure new products out at IFA not sure if they will be cheaper or not. Too late anyway :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
does it have one sub connection on the back or two? I'm assuming it's asking if you have one or two because it doesn't know thus it would be a Y connector plugged into the one socket?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
still keeping my thoughts alive but I'm liking the sound of the Marantz more and more. I think it might be the Amp for me, plus an extra one for thus two extra channels. Oh I hope the builder doesn't cost to much *unknw*

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
the Denon AVR-X4200W seems to do Atmos 7.1(2).4 with an additional amp for the extra channels, am I reading that right?

Also am I right in thinking I need to be looking at HDMI2.0a as wel as HDCP 2:2 for full 4K future proofing? Sometimes it's not clear if some of these amps are HDMI2.0 or 2.0a *dash1*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
simonlewis said:
The Denon does 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 http://www.denon.de/uk/product/hometheater/avreceivers/avrx4200w

Edit: with external amplifier.

I read somewhere else it would do 7.1.4 *dash1* at this rate I think I'll just stick with the Marantz! It does everything, 7.2.4 Atmos (extra Amp needed) HDCP 2:2 and HDMI2.0a.

x4200 does 7.1.2 with additional amp or 5.1.4 with aditional amp. I think people have had better results with 5.1.4 because the extra surround speakers don't make that much of a difference. Have a look at big brothers thread on this for more info.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
THX suggest that 7.1 is more important that 5.whatever.2/4

this is because you near a rear presence more important that above you. Something bear in mind

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
@rocketrazor i'm not sure what your budget is or how long you are prepaired to wait but you may wish to hold out for the Denon AVR-X6200W which i believe is due out later in the year october time which is an 11 channel amp. *good*

ellisdj said:
THX suggest that 7.1 is more important that 5.whatever.2/4

this is because you near a rear presence more important that above you. Something bear in mind

My experience is different. THX doesn't do Atmos, so it's obvious they would say that. In reality, rear presence speakers only add effects while Atmos speakers can be as powerful as the fronts.

simonlewis said:
@rocketrazor i'm not sure what your budget is or how long you are prepaired to wait but you may wish to hold out for the Denon AVR-X6200W which i believe is due out later in the year october time which is an 11 channel amp. *good*

No it isn't. It's a 9 channel amplifier with processing for 11 channels, same as the Marantz 7010 or Yamaha 3050.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
x4200 does 7.1.2 with additional amp or 5.1.4 with aditional amp. I think people have had better results with 5.1.4 because the extra surround speakers don't make that much of a difference. Have a look at big brothers thread on this for more info.
7.1 is a worthwhile step over 5.1 in the right room, and by this I mean either large rooms and/or wide rooms. Having side and rear speakers in a larger room helps to "fill in the gaps" that can appear in the soundstage of a 5.1 system in a larger room. Smaller rooms won't benefit from 7.1 (I'd rather go 5.2 in a smaller room - in fact, I did).

For me, getting the basic 5.1 correct in the first place is key, long term. If the basic 5.1 isn't doing its job properly, then by adding more speakers you're just 'filling in the cracks'. Obviously making the preparations to add more speakers in the initial design phase is a good idea, even if you don't think it is a route you're going to take - you never know. With your basic quality 5.1/7.1 system in place, you're then ready to go Atmos/DTS:X pretty painlessly, and not wondering what all the fuss is about. My system is about to change - my current 5.2 system is making way for another 5.1/5.2 system - I could've gone Atmos, but chose to improve the important stuff before adding the extras.

With regards to Atmos/DTS:X - if you're going to do it, go all out and do it properly. Although 'skimping' will affect any system, regardless of its budget or size.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Series1boy said:
7.1 is a worthwhile step over 5.1 in the right room, and by this I mean either large rooms and/or wide rooms. Having side and rear speakers in a larger room helps to "fill in the gaps" that can appear in the soundstage of a 5.1 system in a larger room. Smaller rooms won't benefit from 7.1 (I'd rather go 5.2 in a smaller room - in fact, I did).

For me, getting the basic 5.1 correct in the first place is key, long term. If the basic 5.1 isn't doing its job properly, then by adding more speakers you're just 'filling in the cracks'. Obviously making the preparations to add more speakers in the initial design phase is a good idea, even if you don't think it is a route you're going to take - you never know. With your basic quality 5.1/7.1 system in place, you're then ready to go Atmos/DTS:X pretty painlessly, and not wondering what all the fuss is about. My system is about to change - my current 5.2 system is making way for another 5.1/5.2 system - I could've gone Atmos, but chose to improve the important stuff before adding the extras.

With regards to Atmos/DTS:X - if you're going to do it, go all out and do it properly. Although 'skimping' will affect any system, regardless of its budget or size.

this is good advice. I'm staying with my 5.1. 2 system and I'm concentrating on good speaker placement and the qaulity of speakers. I currently have the onkyo upfiring speakers for atmos and they are poor quality and I'm now going to install front heights for atmos and DTS x(when movies are released)with some focal dome speakers which should compliment the rest of the system. I also intend to install speaker cable for rear heights just incase I need them but the maximum would be 5.1.4 for my room size and setup and obviously a new av reciever...

However, I'm still looking and demoing, so this may all change....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is an AVF podcast where THX employees are interviewed

They did atmos testing and said 7. whatever was more important than ceiling speakers

You will easy be able to find it

That's not me saying they said don't do it they just felt you needed speakers in the 7 locations first before on the ceiling to make sure there is sound from directly behind

ellisdj said:
There is an AVF podcast where THX employees are interviewed

They did atmos testing and said 7. whatever was more important than ceiling speakers

You will easy be able to find it

That's not me saying they said don't do it they just felt you needed speakers in the 7 locations first before on the ceiling to make sure there is sound from directly behind

Steve Withers, when reviewing Marantz SR7009, said this:

"We found that we preferred using the 5.1.4 configuration, as opposed to the 7.1.2 because the sense of immersion was greater and we didn't miss the two rear speakers. In fact the precision of the localisation of effects and the panning of sounds was quite remarkable, even with just five speakers."

https://www.avforums.com/review/marantz-sr7009-av-dolby-atmos-receiver-review.10854

THX is a rival of Dolby, so they have their interests to protect.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
listen to the podcast see what you think - it didnt come across like they are in competition - more like they tested a lot of scenarios and these were what they thought was best.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I always thought 5.1 was two front, two rear, one centre and one sub. 7.1 was the same with two side? Am I wrong here? The above says didn't miss two rear speakers, that would make 7.1 as four rear speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts