Connecting my cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
EvPa said:
I would recommed that you forgo those carpetted windows, just keep the openings unobstructed.

This will vastly improve instrument separation and completely transform your listening experience with unmatched musical airiness.

Too much air in a room stifles the acoustics. Sound waves travel much more efficiently through liquids.

Have you tried sealing the doors and windows and filling the room up with water?

:)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
EvPa said:
I would recommed that you forgo those carpetted windows, just keep the openings unobstructed.

This will vastly improve instrument separation and completely transform your listening experience with unmatched musical airiness.

Too much air in a room stifles the acoustics. Sound waves travel much more efficiently through liquids.

Have you tried sealing the doors and windows and filling the room up with water?

For those of us with swimming pools at home, an in-pool system makes much more sense. There are some really interesting DIY projects using home-made electrostatic speakers in pools. The only concern is a worryingly high death rate. I'm sure this can be overcome though. Carry on experimenting, that's what I say!

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
steve_1979 said:
EvPa said:

For those of us with swimming pools at home, an in-pool system makes much more sense. There are some really interesting DIY projects using home-made electrostatic speakers in pools. The only concern is a worryingly high death rate. I'm sure this can be overcome though. Carry on experimenting, that's what I say!

However it must be kept in mind that soundwaves travel much faster in water (ideally at 20°C), I would not recommend this setup to someone who prefers a more laidback sound.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
EvPa said:

There is no audiophile scuba gear in this shopping list. Maybe better just use sprinklers and Class A monoblocks to increase rom humidity, thus improve sound travel.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
steve_1979 said:
EvPa said:

Maybe better just use sprinklers and Class A monoblocks to increase rom humidity, thus improve sound travel.

Using sprinklers, I would restore the airiness, at the cost of losing speed. Hifi is all about choices and balances, isn't it?

Unfortunately, if I get new amplification, I can't afford the new listening house anymore (and I would definitely miss my Aiwa system)...

Matt's idea of fitting some Martin Logans in the swimming pool appeals most to me, so far. Should make for a lightning-fast system! I suppose the Aiwa will drive them brilliantly! (And many houses in the Algarve, or indeed the rest of the Mediterranean, have a swimming pool in the garden anyway!)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that solid state amplifiers like those found in your Awia are very sensitive to vibrations. A few anti-vibration platforms will transform your system into a real high-fi of towering proportions.

4090283330_0fa931e6f6_zpsnkuxmeoq.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I've heard that solid state amplifiers like those found in your Awia are very sensitive to vibrations. A few anti-vibration platforms will transform your system into a real high-fi of towering proportions.

Bottom left corner, there's your antivibration device.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Ooh, I really like cutting-edge technology! But would these platforms make my cables sound better? More so than a pool with Martin Logans? And would the platforms be much more expensive than a new house?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Ooh, I really like cutting-edge technology! But would these platforms make my cables sound better? ...

You allso have to keep the cables suspended off the floor well away from all of the electromagnetic critters that live in carpets.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
DocG said:
Ooh, I really like cutting-edge technology! But would these platforms make my cables sound better? ...

You allso have to keep the cables suspended off the floor well away from all of the electromagnetic critters that live in carpets.

Even if I suspend the floor, As EvPa suggests? And I guess I could use a repellent spray of some sort, to tame those critters?

One more thing: how come you can use italics, and I can't? Nor bolt apparently... Though underlined works fine!

And another one more thing: you should pop into Judith's thread (all new :)), and tell her about your Nakamichi!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts