Connecting my cables

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have this brilliant mains cable, some top-notch interconnects, and a set of out-of-this-world bi-wire speaker cables. I need a couple of devices to knot them together. Would a Naim NDX + Statement Pre-Power be a real improvement over my current Aiwa CDP and integrated? The reviews I read, suggest it might. Or am I credulous?

Any first hand experience or expert opinions greatfully received!

Ta.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
10974_jeremiah-weed-brews.gif

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site

I think you'd see more of an improvement if you upgraded the wall sockets before changing any components. There's little point having top notch cables if you don't have audiophile sockets to plug them into is there?

As always, a home demo is advisable if possible.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
you are seriously underestimating your aiwa kit.

and you know all amps sound the same as do digital sources

the only improvement to be had is to use some bell wire.

*blum3*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:

I think you'd see more of an improvement if you upgraded the wall sockets before changing any components. There's little point having top notch cables if you don't have audiophile sockets to plug them into is there?

As always, a home demo is advisable if possible.

Wall sockets are replaced next week. I'll add the necessary 3 kVA balanced mains supplies too (obviously).

And I'll start demoing some new homes for my cables too! Excellent suggestion!*air_kiss*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
EvPa said:
Have you thought about upgrading your house?

Might do wonders to that most excellent Aiwa kit.

Yes! That's what pauln suggested too (unless I misunderstood). And since I might not need the Naim kit, budget is no problem!

Then again, I read on the internet that the effects of the room are purely imaginary.

Broadminded as I am, I'll try it out nonetheless. But I wanna be thorough, so I'm preparing a double-blind test with my real estate broker.

This is so exciting!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
You're wasting your time. DBTs of houses are completely pointless due to the short-term nature of audio memory.

The best way to choose a house is based on measurements. But if you can't get reliable measurements, here are a few sound (LOL) principles to guide you.

1. Avoid houses with parallel walls, as these create nasty bass modes

2. The same applies to floors and ceilings. Sloping floors are much better than flat ones.

3. Avoid glass in windows: it causes HF reflections. Windows should be made of material with a rough surface: carpet is ideal.

I'm sure your estate agent will be able to find you something that ticks these boxes.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, Matt! So no DBT unless he finds two adjacent houses.

Concentrate on skew houses with sloping floors and carpeted windows. I'll call him right away!

I owe you, Matt...

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I would recommed that you forgo those carpetted windows, just keep the openings unobstructed.

This will vastly improve instrument separation and completely transform your listening experience with unmatched musical airiness.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
EvPa said:
Have you thought about upgrading your house?

Might do wonders to that most excellent Aiwa kit.

Yes! That's what pauln suggested too (unless I misunderstood).

You did misunderstand me.

It is the best upgrade you can make so I'm pleased that EvPa mentioned it. I wasn't sure you had the budget.

One thing to consider when blind testing houses is that it can seem a bit odd to the estate agent showing you round - unless of course they are audiophile grade estate agents. I've also heard many stories of blindfolded audiophiles falling down stairs and walking into walls when testing unfamiliar houses, so be careful!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
EvPa said:
I would recommed that you forgo those carpetted windows, just keep the openings unobstructed.

This will vastly improve instrument separation and completely transform your listening experience with unmatched musical airiness.

Well yes maybe... But I love my music on the warm side of neutral. I guess I could follow your advise if I look in the Mediteranean. Algarve, here I come!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
DocG said:
EvPa said:
One thing to consider when blind testing houses is that it can seem a bit odd to the estate agent showing you round - unless of course they are audiophile grade estate agents. I've also heard many stories of blindfolded audiophiles falling down stairs and walking into walls when testing unfamiliar houses, so be careful!

That's my major concern indeed, more so because I want double blind tests!

But Matt says it's no use anyway! I'm confused... Think I'll get me another hobby!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
EvPa said:

Well yes maybe... But I love my music on the warm side of neutral. I guess I could follow your advise if I look in the Mediteranean. Algarve, here I come!

Well just turn the central heating up a bit. If you like valves and vinyl, maybe have a nice log fire going?

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
Well just turn the central heating up a bit. If you like valves and vinyl, maybe have a nice log fire going?

A pure Class A amplifier should be more than enough with regards to heating.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
EvPa said:

Whilst the Algarve would no doubt give you the warmth and airiness you seek, I feel bound to point out that it's on the Atlantic coast, not the Mediterranean. I shudder to think what might happen if you were to jet off to the Med looking for the Algarve, especially wearing a blindfold!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
You're wasting your time. DBTs of houses are completely pointless due to the short-term nature of audio memory.

The best way to choose a house is based on measurements. But if you can't get reliable measurements, here are a few sound (LOL) principles to guide you.

1. Avoid houses with parallel walls, as these create nasty bass modes

2. The same applies to floors and ceilings. Sloping floors are much better than flat ones.

3. Avoid glass in windows: it causes HF reflections. Windows should be made of material with a rough surface: carpet is ideal.

I'm sure your estate agent will be able to find you something that ticks these boxes.

*ok*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
EvPa said:

Too much air in a room stifles the acoustics. Sound waves travel much more efficiently through liquids.

Have you tried sealing the doors and windows and filling the room up with water?

TRENDING THREADS