• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Star connected plug strips

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?
There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.
The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically

From what you just said it cant happen anyway?
What can't happen anyway? If they are identically rated that means they perform identically. Good grief.
 

nick8858

New member
Aug 8, 2011
29
0
0
Plus 1 oldphrt. At least someone on here has some common sense rather than unsubstantiated froth
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Isn’t the rating a different question to the specification old fart. We are going down into figures and measurables all the time with you.......don’t you think these owners in hi Fi firms pour over what components do to sound quality. They can’t design hi Fi just on spec.
Pour what over? Beer? In a quality amplifier they will be looking to over-specify the components so they perform well and don't fail. They don't waste valuable time listening to fecking mains nonsense.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
I have got a great tripod but how many shows have you been to recently - there is not space to set it up it in every room and the filming would be too limited just backs peoples heads.

People ask for close ups, people ask for the sound in the room, people ask for interviews and explanation of the systems on display and I want to cover as much of the show as I can which means in and out of rooms

At Bristol I carried around a suitcase on my back with tripod lens and all sorts in it - the physical effort that goes in your wouldnt believe

Then if you say 10 hours per video to edit and make it (minimum) one took 50 hours just to render due to a few mistakes (windows update restarted the pc 15 hours in) thats on a big PC as well - and because its 4k it was nearly a 1Tb of data filmed - £400 worth of memory cards just for one show.

I appreciate I choose to do it, and dont have to film 4k etc could just film it on an iphone - I can assure you the effort thats going in from me is massive, hence why noone else does it. If its not good enough for you I cant do much more seriously - thats why I said your better off not watching the show videos.
 

nick8858

New member
Aug 8, 2011
29
0
0
Plus 1 again for last post. Manufacturers I expect design equipment to live with the mains supply they are fed however imperfect that may be. Some weirdo box that claims to somehow clean it up and transform it into Hawking radiation so that all the components suddenly light up and perform better is somewhat fantastical
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?
There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.
The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically

From what you just said it cant happen anyway?
What can't happen anyway? If they are identically rated that means they perform identically. Good grief.
Cant saturate the transformer with a standard 240v input - why would someone build one not to oversaturate with those extra processes?
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?
There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.
The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically

From what you just said it cant happen anyway?
What can't happen anyway? If they are identically rated that means they perform identically. Good grief.
Cant saturate the transformer with a standard 240v input - why would someone build one not to oversaturate with those extra processes?
Wibble.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
BigH said:
It was not so much the show videos but the ones of your system.
Thats all tripod because I am filming my self unless I am trying to be creative which is harder than it sounds in a pitch black cinema room ?

I sometimes made the mistake of using footage where you touch the tripod and where the zoom is so long the slightest movement knocks the motion loads

Have you seen the recent ones? I upgraded cameras and all sorts a few months ago to make it better using prime lenses for better low light and no zoom obviously?

I am doing my best buddy - I wasnt born with any of these skills - making great sound I was born with them and love naturally ;)
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
ellisdj said:
That is interesting because certain PSU Builder use certain transformers built by certain people because of how they sound - when they could buy an off the shelf one with the same spec - I am pretty sure on that one - what do you think to that?
There's no reason to do that. Two identically rated transformers can only perform in the same way. Certain brands might look better on any sales blurb I suppose.
The custom manufactured mains transformers use oversized grain orientated silicon steel cores and are wound to avoid core saturation in use and to operate quietly both electrically and mechanically

From what you just said it cant happen anyway?
What can't happen anyway? If they are identically rated that means they perform identically. Good grief.
Cant saturate the transformer with a standard 240v input - why would someone build one not to oversaturate with those extra processes?
Wibble.
That doesnt help or answer the question

Also why would somone use a low impedance transformer?

Why would they also build dual voltage regulation cascaded to improve supply line and rectification interference rejection? Sounds like noise rejection to me

Bearing in mind this from one of the best makers of these products - could be you who knows??
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Oldphrt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Isn’t the rating a different question to the specification old fart. We are going down into figures and measurables all the time with you.......don’t you think these owners in hi Fi firms pour over what components do to sound quality. They can’t design hi Fi just on spec.
Pour what over? Beer? In a quality amplifier they will be looking to over-specify the components so they perform well and don't fail. They don't waste valuable time listening to fecking mains nonsense.
they try different components from less specified ones to better specified ones etc. They are pouring over sound quality to get it right.
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
yes I have as I’ve owned them, and rather sitting on my high horse with views they don’t have limitations lower than I think, I’ll concede the opposite, as I always do with any hi Fi I’ve owned at relative price points to other better ones. The reason big h is because I live in the real world, and you can’t get budget for premium, unlike some on this forum who seem to have big egos as to what hi Fi can do. I think it’s because it’s a male dominated thing. Not many British men concede my car is not as good as others, they are all quite aggressive and egotistical with it. I think this applies to hi Fi and they can’t ever say things that are wrong or accept limitations. It comes across so much on this forum.
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
*ROFL* . Your postings are poor.
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
yes I have as I’ve owned them, and rather sitting on my high horse with views they don’t have limitations lower than I think, I’ll concede the opposite, as I always do with any hi Fi I’ve owned at relative price points to other better ones. The reason big h is because I live in the real world, and you can’t get budget for premium, unlike some on this forum who seem to have big egos as to what hi Fi can do. I think it’s because it’s a male dominated thing. Not many British men concede my car is not as good as others, they are all quite aggressive and egotistical with it. I think this applies to hi Fi and they can’t ever say things that are wrong or accept limitations. It comes across so much on this forum.
Check this out. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

I concede that your car is not as good as others. LOL.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Oldphrt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
yes I have as I’ve owned them, and rather sitting on my high horse with views they don’t have limitations lower than I think, I’ll concede the opposite, as I always do with any hi Fi I’ve owned at relative price points to other better ones. The reason big h is because I live in the real world, and you can’t get budget for premium, unlike some on this forum who seem to have big egos as to what hi Fi can do. I think it’s because it’s a male dominated thing. Not many British men concede my car is not as good as others, they are all quite aggressive and egotistical with it. I think this applies to hi Fi and they can’t ever say things that are wrong or accept limitations. It comes across so much on this forum.
Check this out. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
That blind test shows perfectly that if you use an ikea power strip a high end hifi sounds like a budget one - good link
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
ellisdj said:
Oldphrt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
yes I have as I’ve owned them, and rather sitting on my high horse with views they don’t have limitations lower than I think, I’ll concede the opposite, as I always do with any hi Fi I’ve owned at relative price points to other better ones. The reason big h is because I live in the real world, and you can’t get budget for premium, unlike some on this forum who seem to have big egos as to what hi Fi can do. I think it’s because it’s a male dominated thing. Not many British men concede my car is not as good as others, they are all quite aggressive and egotistical with it. I think this applies to hi Fi and they can’t ever say things that are wrong or accept limitations. It comes across so much on this forum.
Check this out. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
That blind test shows perfectly that if you use an ikea power strip a high end hifi sounds like a budget one - good link
A power strip makes no difference to performance. How can it?
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Oh the dreaded red sheet test.

Don’t know who listened, audiophiles?, the power outputs different into same speakers, as gazzip very much perceptibly pointed out in another thread. A rigged test. Keep up.

you seem to want to scrabble around for any test you can to make a point, no matter what’s really going on. Do you suppose the cheaper system might have just been selected because it’s power output was more matched to the speakers. But you go ahead and use anything, however credible, to make your points.....
 

Oldphrt

New member
Oct 21, 2016
2
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oh the dreaded red sheet test.

Don’t know who listened, audiophiles?, the power outputs different into same speakers, as gazzip very much perceptibly pointed out in another thread. A rigged test. Keep up.
People that don't hear differences when there aren't any? People with good hearing?

Those Behringers are cheap as chips and perform very well, shame they look gruesome.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
QuestForThe13thNote said:
BigH said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Oldphrt said:
Nah, if you pour anything over a component you make it all wet, like most of your stupid postings.
my postings are considered and on experience, whereas you’ve made your mind up before you’ve started.
Yes like your opinions on cheaper systems that you have never heard!
Not many British men concede my car is not as good as others, they are all quite aggressive and egotistical with it.
Yes your car is complete rubbish, lol.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts