can a descent usb cable make a difference to sound?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Laptop hooked up to dac via usb with a fairly cheap throwaway usb cable... Now would i benifit from buying an expensive one or are they all the same qaulity wise? Have i just opened pandoras box hehe?

idc

There may be a difference due to jitter or the timing of the signal. However, that is not fully tested. There is conflicting testing as to how audible jitter is and at what level it becomes audible. I do not know of any blind tests that have established whether or not there is an audible difference.

Over very long distances,100s of feet, there can be a difference due to signal loss.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000:Laptop hooked up to dac via usb with a fairly cheap throwaway usb cable... Now would i benifit from buying an expensive one or are they all the same qaulity wise? Have i just opened pandoras box hehe?

Yes, no and yes

scene

True Blue:
simon3102000:Laptop hooked up to dac via usb with a fairly cheap throwaway usb cable... Now would i benifit from buying an expensive one or are they all the same qaulity wise? Have i just opened pandoras box hehe?

Yes, no and yes

Reaches for tin helmet
emotion-43.gif

idc

Quality is an interesting issue. Audiophile cables tend to cost more, often a lot more than pro audio cables. Yet audiophile cables are usually plugged in and left. But pro audio cables in studios get a much harder time, plugged in and out more often, trailed across floors etc. So pro audio cables have to well made with good components, yet they cost less.....huh?

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Good question raised here. I'm in the 'can't tell the difference camp' on this one.

I currently use Wireworld USB and after days of listening to all kinds of music from my laptop, I cannot for the life of me distinguish the sound produced by the Wireworld USB as any different from the cheap USB cable I used before.

As an aside to that, I use Amarra over itunes and can hear a difference in the sound. Yet many others who have used Amarra claim the opposite.

I guess the answer probably lies in the quality of components used and the set up of the equipment.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Kinda depends whether you mean a USB cable or a USB audio cable...

But hey, we've been over this ground quite recently, and it always descends into a slanging match, people bringing up the Amazon comments on the Denon cables, and usually at least one, and usually two, people being banned for getting abusive.

Simple version: if you try one and hear a difference, be happy. If you're sure there can't be any difference, don't buy one, be happy.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Simple version: if you try one and hear a difference, be happy. If you're sure there can't be any difference, don't buy one, be happy.

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

People who want to hear differences in cables will always hear differences.

There's a magnitude of non-technical factors that might affect the listener's impressions. If you're not aware of this, it's easy to attribute any change in impressions to whatever you think might cause them.

Technically, there's no reason whatsoever why, or explanation how a cable could change the 'sound quality' of digital signals.

If you're the kind of guy who believes in fairies, or is able to hear the music of the spheres, it might be a good idea to buy a special audiophile USB cable. If not, use the money on music.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:
There's a magnitude of non-technical factors that might affect the listener's impressions. If you're not aware of this, it's easy to attribute any change in impressions to whatever you think might cause them.

I find my own hearing is the main attribute.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not this again!

Check the forum history, there's a lengthy and very amusing thread outlining the views of both camps.

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

I use Monster connects on all my av equipment and I am very happy with the results, would I be just as happy with cheaper cables? who knows? The point is it's your money and your choice.

By all means have an opinion, but don't argue it to the point of getting flamed, its just not worth it.

Cliff.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i agree with people with whatever makes you happy. my view is the £50 usb is only going help and if if does nothing more then it looks good and you can sit back and enjoy. while like me i have the usb that came with the dac-magic and i hope it makes no change but i cant prove it or sit knowing for sure im getting the best out my laptop and dacmagic. so if only it can give you peace of mind simon

A

Anonymous

idc:

There may be a difference due to jitter or the timing of the signal. However, that is not fully tested. There is conflicting testing as to how audible jitter is and at what level it becomes audible. I do not know of any blind tests that have established whether or not there is an audible difference.

Over very long distances,100s of feet, there can be a difference due to signal loss.

By USB specification max length of cable is about 16 feet. After that you need an usb hub and then you can add another 16 feet cable.
Several DAC makers say that they are recloking data which is received from usb connection, and, if I understand correctly, then jitter is not a problem anymore.
I think, but not sure about it, that usb isn't just stream of electrical signal like spdif. This connections comes from computer world, there is data exchange protocols, there just isn't easy way how to lose data. Is something lost, transfer is repeated.

idc

ediots:idc:

By USB specification max length of cable is about 16 feet. After that you need an usb hub and then you can add another 16 feet cable.
Several DAC makers say that they are recloking data which is received from usb connection, and, if I understand correctly, then jitter is not a problem anymore.
I think, but not sure about it, that usb isn't just stream of electrical signal like spdif. This connections comes from computer world, there is data exchange protocols, there just isn't easy way how to lose data. Is something lost, transfer is repeated.

I remember in a previous thread on USB cables that forum members were running lengths up to 50 feet without apparent problems.

I don't know if jitter is a problem or not and between asynch, synch and adaptive clocking, I am sure all DACs can actually cope with it. It could be a red herring which has no connection with sound quality at all, but since audiophiles raised it as a potential issue, cable and DAC makers have 'addressed' it.

I am firmly in the feel good camp. If you feel good about buying an audiophile cable, do so as mood enhancement makes music sound better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts