What is your HiFi tip of the Day?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
PCs are notorius for noise, I never had an issue when I was listening to music on JRiver Media Centre via directly from the DAC, because the default setting was set to Primary Sound on the PC for the Eversolo but Communication was set to all other devices.

When I started to listen to podcasts or music on Youtube, the sound was clear for the first 10 minutes and then it started to deteriorate, and I was getting crackle and distortion until it became inaudiable; I thought at first, it was an earthing problem, so I purchased USB grounding Isolated - see below

1704556504077.png
I thought this had worked, my initial listening was less than an hour but after extensive listening, the crackling and distortion came back. I even changed the mains cable, that didn't help either. I knew it wasn't the Eversolo USB connection because when I wasn't using the PC and listening to my music connected to the USB through the digital transport, everything was OK. So the problem was obviously PC related.

I reverted to switching the USB from the PC Pcle Card to one of the USB slots on the motherboard, nope same problem, the USB Card was drawing its power from the sata cable and I was thinking, there might be a grounding problem there, I decided to change it for one one that is self powering, i.e. USB Pcle card drawing it's power from the motherboard rather than sata/molex cable from the PSU - see beow
1704557340705.png
This wasn't logical because I already tested the supply from the motherboard, why would separate card drawing the same supply from the motherboard make a difference(?) but I was desparate to resolve this issue, even if, I needlessly spend another £40 on something that would prove fruitless, Jason logic!

Yes that proved to be pointless, then I stood back, you're not thinking PC, like the elementary stuff.....like conflict in driver software, s**t, I've been building PC's since the nineties and I can't get the basics right!

Of course, the problem was with the software, having drilled down into Windows 11 driver settings, I can see there were a whole host of other devices using the sound settings and these were conflicting, and the cause of the distortion.

So my tip of the day and if you are a PC (or Mac) user, and you're experiencing issues with the sound quality. The first port of call, is to open the Device Manager Application (I'm not sure what is the equivalent for the Mac OS/Ubuntu/Linux but I suspect not too dissimilar) and as highlighted in yellow, select the option to disable the device, so effectively, the only sound device that is operable is the DAC.

Phew!!! Halilullah

Speaking of which, here's Alexandra Burke to sign me off :)

1704555634064.png
1704555742895.png

Last edited:

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Well it's less a tip and more just a general philosophy but don't worry about the haters and the people that tell you your system or choice of music or speakers or whatever aren't "audiophile" enough. Just enjoy your music for what it is and your gear for what it is and spend less time focusing on how the sound can be improved and more time on simply enjoying it for what it is.

Mike Betts,
You can quote me on it.

Tinman1952

PCs are notorius for noise, I never had an issue when I was listening to music on JRiver Media Centre via directly from the DAC, because the default setting was set to Sound on the PC for the Eversolo but Communication was set to all other devices.

When I started to listen to podcasts or music on Youtube, the sound was clear for the first 10 minutes and then it started to deteriorate, and I was getting crackle and distortion until it became inaudiable; I thought at first, it was an earthing problem, so I purchased USB grounding Isolated - see below

View attachment 5853
I thought this had worked, my listening was less than an hour but after extensive listening, the crackling and distortion came back. I even changed the mains cable, that didn't help either. I knew it wasn't the Eversolo USB connection because when I wasn't using the PC and listening to my music through the digital transport, everything was OK. So the problem was obviously PC related.
I reverted to switching the USB from the PC Pcle Card to the motherboard, nope same problem, the USB Card was drawing its power from the sata cable and I was thinking, there might be a grounding problem there, I decided to change it for one one that is self powering, i.e. drawing it's power from the motherboard rather than cable from the PSU - see beow
View attachment 5854
This wasn't logical because I already tested the supply from the motherboard, why would separate card drawing the same supply from the motherboard make a difference(?) but I was desparate to resolve this issue, even if, I needlessly spend another £40 on something that would prove fruitless, Jason logic!

Yes that proved to be pointless, then I stood back, you're not thinking PC, like the elementary stuff.....like conflict in driver software, s**t, I've been building PC's since the nineties and I can't get the basics right!

Of course, the problem was with the software, having drilled down into Windows 11 driver settings, I can see there were a whole host of other devices using the sound settings and these were conflicting, and the cause of the distortion.

So my tip of the day and if you are a PC (or Mac) user, and you're experiencing issues with the sound quality. The first port of call, is to open the Device Manager Application (I'm not sure what is the equivalent for the Mac OS but I suspect not too dissimilar) and as highlighted in yellow, select the option to disable the device, so effectively, the only sound device that is operable is the DAC.

Phew!!! Halilullah

Speaking of which, here's Alexandra Burke to sign me off :)

View attachment 5851
View attachment 5852
Exactly so. Audirvana built their business on this philosophy...👍

Reactions: Jasonovich

jjbomber

Take advice from successful people, not failures!

Tomorrow's tip: Clean your ears out.

Monday. Switch the TV off. Soap operas won't improve your standard of living. Listen to music instead!

Tuesday: More things are lost by indecision than bad decision. Go for it.

Wednesday: Cash in the hand is worth two cheques in the post!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Take advice from successful people, not failures!

Tomorrow's tip: Clean your ears out.

Monday. Switch the TV off. Soap operas won't improve your standard of living. Listen to music instead!

Tuesday: More things are lost by indecision than bad decision. Go for it.

Wednesday: Cash in the hand is worth two cheques in the post!
:ROFLMAO:

I guess it's more a case of utilising whatever you have at your disposal. I had a streamer in my system a few years ago and ditched it in favour of a PC as it's far more versatile.
That’s true. I only ever see issues about noise and settings, and DAC incompatibility, but then there must be thousands like yourself who have no problems with a PC. And I’ve read posts from a few people who make the PC do super-hi-powered things like a Chord DAC with umpteen taps. A bit over my head though! 🤯

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
That’s true. I only ever see issues about noise and settings, and DAC incompatibility, but then there must be thousands like yourself who have no problems with a PC. And I’ve read posts from a few people who make the PC do super-hi-powered things like a Chord DAC with umpteen taps. A bit over my head though! 🤯
PC is just a Swiss Knife, it does amazing things :)

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I've had a PC in my hifi chain for over 10 years, using either a digital coax out or a USB connection feeding an external DAC. I have never had any issues with this 'noisy' environment leaking into to the playback stream. I occasionally use headphones so I'm certain I would have heard noise if it was there.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

I've had a PC in my hifi chain for over 10 years, using either a digital coax out or a USB connection feeding an external DAC. I have never had any issues with this 'noisy' environment leaking into to the playback stream. I occasionally use headphones so I'm certain I would have heard noise if was there.
Very true. I have bought a couple of USB reclockers/ clean up devices in the past and never heard any improvement...
Any half decent DAC designer knows the power line from USB connection needs to be isolated or regulated to prevent noise getting through to the DAC.
Bit perfect software on a PC is a perfectly valid music source in my opinion 🙂

daveh75

I've had a PC in my hifi chain for over 10 years, using either a digital coax out or a USB connection feeding an external DAC. I have never had any issues with this 'noisy' environment leaking into to the playback stream. I occasionally use headphones so I'm certain I would have heard noise if it was there.

That's because you don't go out of your way looking for solutions for non existent problems.

Reactions: DougK1 and nopiano

TRENDING THREADS