Shall I Upgrade?

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, I have owned a Marantz PM50 Amplifier that I purchased used on Ebay approximately 15-20 years ago.

I also purchased a used Pioneer N50 DAC off eBay approximately 15 years ago.

I was preciously running some old Mission floor standers from the 90s that I also purchased used on ebay about 15 years ago.

I upgraded the speakers last year to Monitor Audio Silver 500 Floorstanders.

I have been previously setting up my laptop and streaming Amazon Prime HD via USB Out into the Pioneer N50 DAC and then on to the Merantz PM50.

However it's a pain in the rear setting up the laptop every time as I use the laptop for various different things around the house, and a lot of the time I can't be bothered and as such don't use my system anywhere as much as I would like to.

Now that our children have grown up and left home, we have a little more money to spend 😀

I'm therefore thinking of my next upgrade.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Merantz, much so that when I purchased the Merantz years ago I also purchased a Pioneer used off ebay which was apparently the one everybody wanted and I compared both side by side and didn't like the Pioneer, it sounded way too harsh for my liking, therefore sold that on and kept the Marantz.

I don't know if I should keep everything as existing and just purchase a cheap Streamer such as the Wiim Pro at £149.00 or to completely replace my system with an integrated Amp/Dac/Streamer?

And if I do, I would prefer to remain with Marantz as I like their sound signature, however the PM50 is 70W per channel and to get that same output now I would need to get the Marantz Model 40n and that didn't get very good reviews.....

If I upgrade the whole sysyem, even though it will be the most expensive option, I can gain some of that cost back from selling my current setup.

im interested in what you guys would do in my situation?

gasolin

I would prefer to remain with Marantz as I like their sound signature, however the PM50 is 70W per channel and to get that same output now I would need to get the Marantz Model 40n and that didn't get very good reviews

Strange assumption

You can get a Marantz PM7000N for around £600

Marantz Stereo 70's is also arount £800

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
I would prefer to remain with Marantz as I like their sound signature, however the PM50 is 70W per channel and to get that same output now I would need to get the Marantz Model 40n and that didn't get very good reviews

Strange assumption

You can get a Marantz PM7000N for around £600

Marantz Stereo 70's is also arount £800
But the PM7000N is only 60W per channel, therefore as mentioned the only option for 70W would be the 40n.....

gasolin

I'm getting confused now, you originally recommended a 60wpc Amp and now advising on the above?

Forget about the power the amp has as long as it's 2x50 watt or more.

Found out how expensive those speakers are around €3000 or £2499 at richer sound https://www.richersounds.com/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-natural-walnut.html

Those speakers are expensive (thought they where something like €1000), the deserve a better amp, above a pm8006, mabye used, since you don't get max sound quality out of them, would have been better if you don't wanna change amp by getting some lower tier monitor audio's

Diminishing returns = not as much,not enough improvements with only a Marantz pm50

That's like wanting to play louder an buying a 2x100 watt amp when you have a 2x70 watt amp

Denon PMA-900HNE or PMA-1700NE ?

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Forget about the power the amp has as long as it's 2x50 watt or more.

Found out how expensive those speakers are around €3000 or £2499 at richer sound https://www.richersounds.com/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-natural-walnut.html

Those speakers are expensive (thought they where something like €1000), the deserve a better amp, above a pm8006, mabye used, since you don't get max sound quality out of them, would have been better if you don't wanna change amp by getting some lower tier monitor audio's

Diminishing returns = not as much,not enough improvements with only a Marantz pm50

That's like wanting to play louder an buying a 2x100 watt amp when you have a 2x70 watt amp

Denon PMA-900HNE or PMA-1700NE ?
Many Thanks, I purchased the speakers last year (or the year before can't remember) when they had only just been released.

So just to be clear, my current PM50 is 70 WPC already, are you suggesting that I upgrade this Amp to a new modern amp of the same 70wpc or greater as that's what these speakers need?

I had a Denon AVR3802 AV AMP years ago and that put me off Denon amps as the sound quality in Stereo was absolutely terrible, I realise that a good Denon Stereo amp may be different to that AVR3802, but I do worry with Denon after that!

What would you recommend out of the Marantz range as an improvement for my speakers over the PM50 I currently have?

gasolin

NO, im not, forget about the wattage

A Denon AVR3802 AV AMP is a very old amp made more for surround than stereo
¨
A marantz PM50 is even older MUCH OLDER

MINIMUM

2023-12-03 12_01_33-EISA Hi-Fi Awards 2022-2023 _ Stereophile.com – Google Chrome.png

Could i have had that amp for that price i would have bough one

Last edited:

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, I have owned a Marantz PM50 Amplifier that I purchased used on Ebay approximately 15-20 years ago.

I also purchased a used Pioneer N50 DAC off eBay approximately 15 years ago.

I was preciously running some old Mission floor standers from the 90s that I also purchased used on ebay about 15 years ago.

I upgraded the speakers last year to Monitor Audio Silver 500 Floorstanders.

I have been previously setting up my laptop and streaming Amazon Prime HD via USB Out into the Pioneer N50 DAC and then on to the Merantz PM50.

However it's a pain in the rear setting up the laptop every time as I use the laptop for various different things around the house, and a lot of the time I can't be bothered and as such don't use my system anywhere as much as I would like to.

Now that our children have grown up and left home, we have a little more money to spend 😀

I'm therefore thinking of my next upgrade.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Merantz, much so that when I purchased the Merantz years ago I also purchased a Pioneer used off ebay which was apparently the one everybody wanted and I compared both side by side and didn't like the Pioneer, it sounded way too harsh for my liking, therefore sold that on and kept the Marantz.

I don't know if I should keep everything as existing and just purchase a cheap Streamer such as the Wiim Pro at £149.00 or to completely replace my system with an integrated Amp/Dac/Streamer?

And if I do, I would prefer to remain with Marantz as I like their sound signature, however the PM50 is 70W per channel and to get that same output now I would need to get the Marantz Model 40n and that didn't get very good reviews.....

If I upgrade the whole sysyem, even though it will be the most expensive option, I can gain some of that cost back from selling my current setup.

im interested in what you guys would do in my situation?
I don't like Marantz sound at all, however if you enjoy the sound of your current setup do not change it, just add a streamer and you will be happy.

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Theres a mismatch between the price of the amp and speakers 10 x difference

Around £250 and £2500 like combine a i7 7700k with a rx 7900xtx or rtx 4080

But remember that £250.00 amp is over 30 years old, thereforenin todays value.....also you mentioned not to worry about the Watts?

Therefore what would I benefit from by replacing the PM50 70wpc with a new Amp?

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Surely the important point is that you love the sound you have currently. The only way you will know what you are missing (if anything) is by auditioning some new amps for yourself.
I was just Gasolin said my speakers deserve a better amp? Therefore if I'm not.getting the best out of these speakers when I would rather upgrade. But the problem is I've been reading about new amps being unreliable and failing outside warranty period, whereas mine is over 30 years old.and still going!

Therefore I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get another Marantz from the 90s may be its bigger brother or something? Then I will 'hopefully' have the reliability of the older amps together with more power to drive these speakers?

WayneKerr

Your speakers are an easy load but do dip down to 3ohms. MA specs for your speaker suggest an amp with 80-250 watts output, so 70 watts isn't miles away. If you really want a decent upgrade but want to stay with Marantz then look at the Model 30... depending on how deep your pockets are :)

Edit: Maybe ignore this as you want a streaming amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScubaCollie

gasolin

It's like a first gen 8 core ryzen compared to latest or last gen 6 core ryzen

Just because one has 8 core it doesn't mean it's better than the 6 core ryzen 5600x or 7600x

just because your amp has 70 watt doesn't mean it's better than a newer 50-60 watt amp and im not talking about marantz, im talking about one amp that is newer and better than your old Marantz PM50

Could be a Denon PMA-900HNE, Rega Brio R, cambridge audio CXA61 or willing to spend the money a nad C3050, yamaha R-N1000A or even a used hegel

Last edited:

gasolin

Your speakers are an easy load but do dip down to 3ohms. MA specs for your speaker suggest an amp with 80-250 watts output, so 70 watts isn't miles away. If you really want a decent upgrade but want to stay with Marantz then look at the Model 30... depending on how deep your pockets are :)

Or a used above the PM8006, depends if your willing to spend money on a amp and how much

Reactions: WayneKerr

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site

Edit: Maybe ignore this as you want a streaming amp.
I can always use the Wiim Pro as an add on?

Just been checking it out on YouTube, and see a comment about Circuit Protection.....and then found this thread (below), keeping my 30 year old PM50 is more appealing to me at the moment!!

WayneKerr

I can always use the Wiim Pro as an add on?

Just been checking it out on YouTube, and see a comment about Circuit Protection.....and then found this thread (below), keeping my 30 year old PM50 is more appealing to me at the moment!!
If you look hard enough you'll find horror stories for every manufacturer on the internet, bad news makes headlines, good news doesn't! Maybe your current amp was pre internet?
Over the last eleven years I've owned nothing but new Marantz kit and I've never had a single problem with any of it.
Stick with your current amp... it will go bang eventually as nothing lasts forever, especially electronics. Go and have a listen to some new amps as you may prefer the sound of yours to the current preference for detail and accuracy.
If you live near Essex you are more than welcome to come and listen to mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScubaCollie

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
If you look hard enough you'll find horror stories for every manufacturer on the internet, bad news makes headlines, good news doesn't! Maybe your current amp was pre internet?
Over the last eleven years I've owned nothing but new Marantz kit and I've never had a single problem with any of it.
Stick with your current amp... it will go bang eventually as nothing lasts forever, especially electronics. Go and have a listen to some new amps as you may prefer the sound of yours to the current preference for detail and accuracy.
If you live near Essex you are more than welcome to come and listen to mine.
Many Thanks mate for the offer, I moved up from North Kent just over the water to Scotland 4 years ago! Was thinking of just adding the Wiim Pro, and as you say Once it goes bang then upgrade. I will see if I can get s listen to a new amp in Richer Sounds. I also have a Pioneer N50 DAC which is also probably adding to the sound quality I'm currently hearing, and if I was to upgrade would then be using the internal DAC of the new Amp therefore may be that won't be as good as my current set up....

Reactions: WayneKerr

Hisold

Nov 11, 2023
Visit site
you've got a solid setup with your Marantz PM50 and Pioneer N50 DAC. Upgrading can be tricky, especially when you love the sound you've got. If setting up the laptop is a hassle, maybe consider a dedicated streamer like the Wiim Pro for convenience. But if you're eyeing a complete upgrade, sticking with Marantz for their sound could be a good move, even if the model you're eyeing got mixed reviews. Selling your current setup could help offset the cost too. Ultimately, it's about what feels right for your ears and your wallet!

rainsoothe

Many Thanks mate for the offer, I moved up from North Kent just over the water to Scotland 4 years ago! Was thinking of just adding the Wiim Pro, and as you say Once it goes bang then upgrade. I will see if I can get s listen to a new amp in Richer Sounds. I also have a Pioneer N50 DAC which is also probably adding to the sound quality I'm currently hearing, and if I was to upgrade would then be using the internal DAC of the new Amp therefore may be that won't be as good as my current set up....
Hi. As the others have said, forget about the wattage. A better amp can mean a lot of things, not nocessarily more watts. Just for the record, doubling the number of watts only yields a 3 decibel increase in percieved sound volume - as in a 140 w/ch amp will only sound 3db louder than a 70 w/ch one. Also, your MA speakers are pretty easy to drive at 90.5db sensitivity, trust me, realistically, if it's a well designed amp, even 5 watts is usually enough lol.

As for recommendations, my personal one would be to keep stuff separated if you can, although there's plenty of decent integrated solutions. If you like Marantz, and it is supposed to work well with monitor audio indeed, the PM8006 is a very good recommendation. I would also audition the new Arcam A5 amp. And get a wiim mini pro for streaming duties, since it's cheap, has good software, and you can add a dac later should you feel the need to upgrade. A Bluesound Node is also a good option if it can fit your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts