Cable Directionality - do you want proof

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:
Cheesboy we have done this before - I know there would be no difference in that program and I did say that in my text

but did you actually run it through the software? (bearing in mind you've spent the best part of this thread telling people to try it for themselves if you catch my drift ;) :) )
Thats where I am hypocritical isnt - I get you know

fraid so, it happens to us all.

*drinks*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Either it's an accurate rip or it's not. If it's not, you'll get very obvious dropouts. What you won't get is the kind of subtle deterioration of sound you seem to be referring to, because digital systems don't work like that.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Either it's an accurate rip or it's not. If it's not, you'll get very obvious dropouts. What you won't get is the kind of subtle deterioration of sound you seem to be referring to, because digital systems don't work like that.

I stand corrected (I thought that might be the case after I clicked send! :-(

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
That is what I was getting at - but he did still guess the description difference identical to me - not even in the same building or at the same time - what is the probability % of that as a guess?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It does kinda make you lose the will to live. The simplest argument is this:

1) I invent a directional cable

2) If it is directional there will be a difference in the signal coming out of it depending which way round it is connected.

3) So I get an independent lab to record the two different signals and demonstrate and certify the difference. This would cost very little and would make me a fortune as I could dominate the market.

So why haven't all those companies who sell "directional" cables done this? It should be easy and it should be cheap. There is only one answer - they can't do it because there is no difference.

There is no need to discuss the science or indeed the sound. Show me the difference and I'll believe it and the scientists will work out an explanation.

Chris

PS If you could make directional cables there would be applications in many areas and you would be a very rich man or woman.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Proof at last.. Sorry folks I was wrong

Courtesy of cheesboy

http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2015/06/measurements-speaker-cables-wires.html

What utter nonsense. The guy not only tested it but he listened to it.

I didn't read the whole thing, but he says he attached 12g cable to both sets to make then reach binding posts. This makes the test completely useless doesn't it? If the sound quality from 14g to 12 G is more noticeable than the varying cables on test, the the 2g difference is he largest factor for a sound change and therefore no difference will be heard by the tests he is trying to investigate. Again, I'm probably missing something.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
matt49 said:
That is what I was getting at - but he did still guess the description difference identical to me - not even in the same building or at the same time - what is the probability % of that as a guess?

You mean: what was the probability of you both being wrong in the same way? Quite high, I should think: first there's a 50/50 chance of him guessing which file was "degraded", and second there's a high probablity of him using similar language to you, because the audiophile vocabulary is actually quite small. Did he mention "inky blackness" by any chance?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
ellisdj said:
matt49 said:

You mean: what was the probability of you both being wrong in the same way? Quite high, I should think: first there's a 50/50 chance of him guessing which file was "degraded", and second there's a high probablity of him using similar language to you, because the audiophile vocabulary is actually quite small. Did he mention "inky blackness" by any chance?
Thats a bit of an insulting set of comments matt49 but I laughed at them anyway, well written

Its not about using the same language its about how do you define how different something sounds to something else then put that into a % of probability of 2 people identifying the same when neither are together, the second party not privy to any info of whats going on and both are bit perfect rips/ files

Why did he not say No Different they sound the same? I am way off topic with this anyway so I am stopping. Good comments by the way - very clever

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
Anyone who is going to have enough money to buy the Niagra - I dont think a fool is the right term for that person.

So rich people are all fools now?

Oh Dear - you have not read the other posts - I said the opposite - Rich people are rich because they are not fools. Thats petty digging at me there.

Someone wrote that the video was designed to rob fools of their money, my point was if they can afford to buy it then a fool is the last thing they will obviously be

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
Anyone who is going to have enough money to buy the Niagra - I dont think a fool is the right term for that person.

So rich people are all fools now?

Oh Dear - you have not read the other posts - I said the opposite - Rich people are rich because they are not fools. Thats petty digging at me there.

Someone wrote that the video was designed to rob fools of their money, my point was if they can afford to buy it then a fool is the last thing they will obviously be

Sorry I did not read all the other posts as there is so much rubbish on here. Your logic just about sums you up. Many people would think people who buy such items have more money than sense. So money makes people intelligent now? You ever heard of upper class twits?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
my cousin also an audiofool
Bit of light heartedness - better than a picture of a squashed turd or a kangaroo or something

I thought you were spot on about you and your cousin. In that same post you describe your and his expectation bias perfectly.
IMark - I sent him 2 files and I was honest in writing on here, not everyone it that I might have said to him can you hear a difference? He did not know anything about the files - they were just called A and B to him.

I admit by asking something like "can you hear a difference" you create a potential expectation bias - but how else do you go about something like that - how else was I to get him to listen to them and report back to me what he thought without asking a question. Its impossible

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Please could you respond to my post of 13:45?

Chris

How do you want me to respond to your comments / questions Covenanter?

You act as I if I am trying to sell you something and accountable to you for that, this is not the case I will remind - I merely pointed you (forum users) to a video where its shown in a demonstration and in that demonstration appears even on a video to have an impact on the sound of that system.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
FOUL

If someone can insist on his question being answered then I should insist someone answers mine too in posts ..

60, 67,74,96,111,197,201,214,226,249,322 & 337.

Anal for me to check for my own unnanswered posts? Ill answer this question of my own..... Yup. Totally.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's my question - Has anything new been said in the last 20 pages, that wasn't said in the first 5?

(I'm really trying to resist the urge to post a picture.....personally, I blame Waxy)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
OK Cno..I'll answer yours if u answer mine.

Your answer - No. Not a lot.

But its good to talk.

TBH. I have a complete lack of interest in the directionality of cables, but am curious as to why people have the insatiable need to argue about it, by saying the same things over and over an...........

I only joined the thread to lighten the mood.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:
Here's my question - Has anything new been said in the last 20 pages, that wasn't said in the first 5?

(I'm really trying to resist the urge to post a picture.....personally, I blame Waxy)

Yes

So we can't even agree on what hasn't been agreed......which sounds about right. *crazy*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts