admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently thought i'd purchase some Chord Silver Screen and whilst purchasing this cable the retailer asked if i would like my cables burnt in before using them! my initial reaction was "er why would you want to burn something I'm buying" and then after asking what this was the guy said they have a special machine which burns in the cable so they are ready to use. Anyways i'd tried both the burnt in pair and then the straight off the reel pair and IMO i could not hear any difference. Is this just something else to get people to spend money on?????

A

Anonymous

God help us. Andrew's day and evening will be filled moderating this thread then...

A

Anonymous

yes there was a £25 additional charge for the burn in process.

i was lucky that the burnt in pair was classed as a home trail so managed to get a full refund.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In which case I think I'd ask Chord Co whether this is something it suggests its retailers do, or something this particular retailer thinks will be of benefit.

It's not something I've encountered with Chord Co cables before, so I don't think it's a factory-sanctioned service - but I may be wrong.

A

Anonymous

This sounds like the Nordost machine. Ive seen some eBay shops offering this service

A

Anonymous

See here for a helpful explanation by a nice lady:
http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VIDAR%20Burn%20in%20service.htm

I think we can all agree to disagree on the potential (lack of) merits to this? Please?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EIther buy second hand cables or enjoy the process, if you indeed detect a process. The burning in will surely not be a staggering difference - ie your sound will not be horrible and then after 100 hours, all of a sudden be superb. Therefore a 100 hundred hours (or whatever) of not quite as perfect as you expect and gradually getting better is not exactly a chore/awful experience.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Romero"] Is this just something else to get people to spend money on?????[/quote]

That's exactly what it is. Maybe you could ask the retailer what burning in does to the wire and why it costs so much.

Regards Ed.

A

Anonymous

Did you see the machine? Or is this just how they flog the cables people have returned.

A

Anonymous

If you did see it can I place a bet that it said M-O-N-S-T-E-R on it?

A

Anonymous

It's a Nordost machine, I bet

Edit: here it is Nordost Vidar. Only 'burn-in' machine Ive ever heard of:

vidarlights.jpg

A

Anonymous

Monster's department of snake oil research is really starting to get complacent... I'll give Nordost this though; they've got a sense of theatricality. Looks like Doctor Who's answering machine.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]Monster's department of snake oil research is really starting to get complacent...[/quote]

50p in the snake oil box, please... (not that I've got a clue what your statement means)

A

Anonymous

Sounds like complete rubbish to me.

How do you run in, burn in, a cable ?

A cable is a cable, there is nothing that needs doing to it.

You hook it up today it will sound the same a year from now.

It's the amps and speakers that need time.

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
In which case I think I'd ask Chord Co whether this is something it suggests its retailers do, or something this particular retailer thinks will be of benefit.

It's not something I've encountered with Chord Co cables before, so I don't think it's a factory-sanctioned service - but I may be wrong.

[/quote]

I recently purchased Chord Epic and on the advise of Chord, they recommended just running the cable in normally. They are very helpful !!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Snow_Owl"]How do you run in, burn in, a cable ?

A cable is a cable, there is nothing that needs doing to it.
[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

Run-in process is invented for Dealer! so they can tell you that the set of this greatest pair of cables will sound better in 300 hours which by that time your ears will get use to the sound anyway.

IMO sir.

A

Anonymous

yeah it was the Nordost machine machine i saw ....... anyways i guess with the fuel prices rising beyond belief we have to find new ways to make money

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]£25 is what it costs to run the thing for 100 hours![/quote]

May be if they are using "class A" krell from the 80's to run them in!

Please don't tell me that you are believe in this "cable burn-in" thing!?? You are one of my reviews hero
emotion-6.gif

The last of my review hero's disappointment was when Alan Sircom was testing £5K electronics with £7K worth of speaker cables!....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]You need FryBaby

conditioner.jpg
[/quote]

Burn baby, burn!

Um, what does gaussian mean?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Please don't tell me that you are believe in this "cable burn-in" thing!?? You are one of my reviews hero
emotion-6.gif
[/quote]

Irony - it's not just how iron tastes...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts