Should we enjoy our system more?

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Whilst having lunch (Assam tea and ham sandwiches made with tiger bread) I was taking the time to listen to a few afternoon tunes.

I was thinking on how happy I am with the sound from my system, Bass, mid treble... I am happy with all of it.

I then began to think, reading through the forums on how some people are never happy with the system that they already have.

It does make me wonder why.
  • Mistakes in purchasing?
  • Buying cheaply?
  • Advertisers convincing you that your gear is not quite good enough?
Previously I had a pair of Mission 775 for around 20 years or so. I was very happy with them. So why did I change them.....?
I wanted a pair of Tannoy speakers. I have wanted a pair for over 40 years and eventually saw a pair I'd like at the right price.
So three years ago. I bought the Tannoys and love them.
I am not interested in changing them.... unless better Tannoys I have seen at the right price (Tannoy Ardens anyone?)

I say enjoy what you have. Don't change for changing sake.
It's seems like it's almost as if's a case of last year's great product (phone) is now bettered by this year's new product.

My advice is put some thought in before you purchase and enjoy what you have. whatever you have.

WayneKerr

I say enjoy what you have. Don't change for changing sake.
It's seems like it's almost as if's a case of last year's great product (phone) is now bettered by this year's new product.

My advice is put some thought in before you purchase and enjoy what you have. whatever you have.
I have enjoyed what I have had three times and each time I changed I enjoyed it more :) No more changes for me unless something goes phut.

Reactions: Horowitz
I am enjoying what I currently have even though it's a downgrade from what I had.
Lack of income meant I had to sell some kit but luckily cunning purchase of replacements mean I am happy with what I have been left with. Unlikely to change anything unless things go pearshaped again when vinyl and playback system will be next to go.

DCarmi

Most of us buy to a budget and have other limitations, such as dependents. This means compromise.
I for one would love to upgrade my system, but it is not something I can justify over other expenses.

Am I unhappy with what I currently have? Taking into account what I just said, not really. I'll probably replace my cartridge in a few months

Maybe in a year or two, I'll look for a new amp but that depends on other issues that may arise.

Reactions: matthewpianist

aversaurus

Ive always thought of hifi as a hobby and a journey.my first system was a richer sounds basic package.since then I have bought and sold and upgraded when the budgets there .but looking back there are times when I was happy with what I had but the bug started to bite and I changed a box or two .
At the moment I'm very happy with my system I have and will spend quite a lot of time enjoying it .

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Messiah

It’s an interesting question and one that I find I need to remind myself of.

Looking back over the years there are a number of issues I can point to that have lead to constant tinkering:

1. Trying to get one system that is both a top notch Home Cinema AND a top notch HiFi does not always work.
  2. Going to HiFi shows and hearing systems that cost tens of thousands and then going home to hear your own modest set-up (that normally just takes a couple of days to get over, lol)
  3. Using really big Floorstanders (Mission 754) in a tiny room (say 2.5m x 2m).
  4. Speaker placement in general - dictated by the room layout (I think there was a recent thread on this).
  5. Bad recordings. Quite easy to listen to stuff that sounds good. Move to a bad recording and the (or maybe just my) first reaction is to doubt your HiFi’s ability. A lot of the time the recording is just poor.
I could go on I’m sure.

At the moment I am fortunate enough to have enough room for a separate Home Cinema and HiFi. (Therefore defeating point 1).

I have tried to make sure my speakers are appropriate (defeating point 3) for the room (possibly pushed this a bit for my HiFi (which is in a converted loft)) and in a good position (defeating point 4).

What I do find a little odd in all of this is that I can quite ‘happily’ listen to a system that is not as good (e.g I have a Denon micro in the kitchen powering some Monitor Audio Radius 90HD speakers) knowing it is not as good and be perfectly fine and un-critical with it.

It’s a funny old hobby we involve ourselves in…😊

Gray

What I do find a little odd in all of this is that I can quite ‘happily’ listen to a system that is not as good (e.g I have a Denon micro in the kitchen powering some Monitor Audio Radius 90HD speakers) knowing it is not as good and be perfectly fine and un-critical with it.
You're not odd at all.
It always makes me smile whenever anyone uses the 'foot tap' test to judge good hi-fi.

It's the music that makes me tap my hands and feet....even when listening to a mono, portable radio.
Decent hi-fi is the icing on the cake for music lovers.

It’s an interesting question and one that I find I need to remind myself of.

Looking back over the years there are a number of issues I can point to that have lead to constant tinkering:

1. Trying to get one system that is both a top notch Home Cinema AND a top notch HiFi does not always work.
  2. Going to HiFi shows and hearing systems that cost tens of thousands and then going home to hear your own modest set-up (that normally just takes a couple of days to get over, lol)
  3. Using really big Floorstanders (Mission 754) in a tiny room (say 2.5m x 2m).
  4. Speaker placement in general - dictated by the room layout (I think there was a recent thread on this).
  5. Bad recordings. Quite easy to listen to stuff that sounds good. Move to a bad recording and the (or maybe just my) first reaction is to doubt your HiFi’s ability. A lot of the time the recording is just poor.
I could go on I’m sure.

At the moment I am fortunate enough to have enough room for a separate Home Cinema and HiFi. (Therefore defeating point 1).

I have tried to make sure my speakers are appropriate (defeating point 3) for the room (possibly pushed this a bit for my HiFi (which is in a converted loft)) and in a good position (defeating point 4).

It’s a funny old hobby we involve ourselves in…😊
Long time no read, Messiah. Hope you're keeping well.

For various reasons mine hadn't been on for weeks.
On today. It sounded bloody brilliant.
Whenever I do put it on, I'm playing music for 1 or 2 hours longer than I intended.
I've said for a while the best upgrade (and cheapest) is to switch off your system for a couple of days. Not only does it sound fresher but also shows you're lucky to have what you've got.🙂

Gray

I've said for a while the best upgrade (and cheapest) is to switch off your system for a couple of days. Not only does it sound fresher but also shows you're lucky to have what you've got.🙂
Theres a saying that "A change is as good as a rest".
But with hi-fi, many have found that a rest can be as good as change (though it doesn't stop us wanting to change 🤨).

We know the benefits of what we've bought, but maybe constant use means they get somewhat taken for granted.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Me too, and I got quite engrossed in a concert on the car radio recently. Enough that I had to hear the end even though the trip was finished. When you think how compromised the sound is in a car, it incredible how ours ears/brain fills the gaps.

Theres a saying that "A change is as good as a rest".
But with hi-fi, many have found that a rest can be as good as change (though it doesn't stop us wanting to change 🤨).

We know the benefits of what we've bought, but maybe constant use means they get somewhat taken for granted.
Yep, or sometimes, if played too often, you can end up with audio overdose.

I am enjoying what I currently have even though it's a downgrade from what I had.
Lack of income meant I had to sell some kit but luckily cunning purchase of replacements mean I am happy with what I have been left with. Unlikely to change anything unless things go pearshaped again when vinyl and playback system will be next to go.
What do you have now that's downgrade?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
For various reasons mine hadn't been on for weeks.
On today. It sounded bloody brilliant.
Whenever I do put it on, I'm playing music for 1 or 2 hours longer than I intended.

Me too, and I got quite engrossed in a concert on the car radio recently. Enough that I had to hear the end even though the trip was finished. When you think how compromised the sound is in a car, it incredible how ours ears/brain fills the gaps.
Our car is tuned in to Classic FM permanently. Often I'll get home, but I can't get out of the car until the piece is finished. I f I know it, it's because I love it. If not it's because I want to try and find out what it was I was listening to.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I forgot my Audio System for quite some time because my CD player was broke. Then we realised we could play music from our iPad into my amplifier. We are not at all tech savvy. First I rediscovered my love of Mozart, and being older and more able to properly appreciate what I was hearing, I marvelled at Mozart's composing abilities, and the sheer beauty of his music. It was like a religious experience. I read everything I could about him. My twin brother, who I live with ordered the book of his personal letters. It gave an amazing insight into Mozart, his life, his Family his personal struggles, his triumphs, many fascinating details of his life and his tragic and heartbreaking demise. What a man. Certainly not the man portrayed in the well known Hollywood movie. If this is off track and not appropriate to this forum I apologize and will desist in future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts