Should we enjoy our system more?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpianist

I know the feeling, I have gear that admittedly I got for nothing but thought about selling, to maybe fund a dedicated CD player (my current CD player is a Denon CEOL RCD-N7 mini system, by-passing its own amp and using the audio out into my Yamaha AV receiver) but looking on eBay the prices they fetch aren't enough. I have a Roksan Kandy KA1 mk3 and a Pro-Ject Debut MK2 that was given to me by a friend who is now quite happy just using a soundbar for everything. My local hifi store basically said they had too much second hand gear at the moment to take them off my hands. They gave me prices to try and get on eBay but I have seen a few Kandy KA1 mk3 on ebay for the price suggested and they've been on there for months and not shifted. To be fair I wasn't even expecting the price suggested to me. But what they go for if they do sell isn't enough for a dedicated CD player.

There's loads of secondhand Audiolab 6000A's on eBay at present, and they don't seem to shifting at the sort of price I would want to achieve. I'm not going to let it go for peanuts given that I love it and haven't had it that long, and will have to find other things to sell to raise the money I need for a special day.

Likewise the Dyns. The new equivalents (Emit 10) are upwards of £600, and I didn't even get much interest in my DM2/6 at just under £300. I'm just not going there.

There's loads of secondhand Audiolab 6000A's on eBay at present, and they don't seem to shifting at the sort of price I would want to achieve. I'm not going to let it go for peanuts given that I love it and haven't had it that long, and will have to find other things to sell to raise the money I need for a special day.

Likewise the Dyns. The new equivalents (Emit 10) are upwards of £600, and I didn't even get much interest in my DM2/6 at just under £300. I'm just not going there.
I've always had a thought the Leema would sound great with Dyns. Never had the opportunity to demo any before stumbling over the Dalis.

matthewpianist

I've always had a thought the Leema would sound great with Dyns. Never had the opportunity to demo any before stumbling over the Dalis.

Dali are one of my other favourite speaker brands. I've heard Opticon 2s with a Naim Nait 5i and Linn streamer and they sounded wonderful. The Oberon 5s are the best floorstanders I've owned, but smaller speakers suit my room better. I also very much enjoyed a pair of Lektor 2s with a Marantz amp years ago, and Spektor 2s with a PowerNode streaming amp.

Dali are one of my other favourite speaker brands. I've heard Opticon 2s with a Naim Nait 5i and Linn streamer and they sounded wonderful. The Oberon 5s are the best floorstanders I've owned, but smaller speakers suit my room better. I also very much enjoyed a pair of Lektor 2s with a Marantz amp years ago, and Spektor 2s with a PowerNode streaming amp.
Yes, beautifully balanced and very natural sounding. I loved the Amphion Argon 1 but after cheekily taking them into RS to compare them with the Dalis there was quite a audible difference. I took my daughter in for the demo she noticed the improvement immediately. The only previous time I've heard Dalis was the Ikon 2s years ago, and from memory they sounded the biz.

matthewpianist

Yes, beautifully balanced and very natural sounding. I loved the Amphion Argon 1 but after cheekily taking them into RS to compare them with the Dalis there was quite a audible difference. I took my daughter in for the demo she noticed the improvement immediately. The only previous time I've heard Dalis was the Ikon 2s years ago, and from memory they sounded the biz.

I heard the Ikon 2s also. That hybrid ribbon tweeter was superb.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Whilst having lunch (Assam tea and ham sandwiches made with tiger bread) I was taking the time to listen to a few afternoon tunes.

I was thinking on how happy I am with the sound from my system, Bass, mid treble... I am happy with all of it.

I then began to think, reading through the forums on how some people are never happy with the system that they already have.

It does make me wonder why.
  • Mistakes in purchasing?
  • Buying cheaply?
  • Advertisers convincing you that your gear is not quite good enough?
Previously I had a pair of Mission 775 for around 20 years or so. I was very happy with them. So why did I change them.....?
I wanted a pair of Tannoy speakers. I have wanted a pair for over 40 years and eventually saw a pair I'd like at the right price.
So three years ago. I bought the Tannoys and love them.
I am not interested in changing them.... unless better Tannoys I have seen at the right price (Tannoy Ardens anyone?)

I say enjoy what you have. Don't change for changing sake.
It's seems like it's almost as if's a case of last year's great product (phone) is now bettered by this year's new product.

My advice is put some thought in before you purchase and enjoy what you have. whatever you have.
You know sometimes it's the state of mind, if your head is in the wrong place, or you're stressed from work or other things and you listen to music in the wrong frame, music can sound less satisfying. I appreciate I have nothing scientific to back this up, so I'm really speaking from my own experience.

I can go back to my system another day with a better head, and my music never sounded so good.

What I'm trying to say really, is music strikes an emotional chord within us and this is more effective, when our antennae's are totally switched on.

If you factor out the bad days and you still find it wanting and your expectations are not unreasonable, then this might be a good time for a change.

I don't say changing your HiFi kit will bring the desired outcome, you may just get a different signature to the one that you were accustomed to; or forking out loads of wonga from your plastic is the correct solution, sometimes supple changes like repositioning your speakers or changing your cables is all you need.

Usually the devil in my says, spend spend spend, like a new relationship it's always great at first, until you start looking over your shoulder,....ahem, stop it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Dunlop and JDL

WayneKerr

You know sometimes it's the state of mind, if your head is in the wrong place, or you're stressed from work or other things and you listen to music in the wrong frame, music can sound less satisfying. I appreciate I have nothing scientific to back this up, so I'm really speaking from my own experience.

I can go back to my system another day with a better head, and my music never sounded so good.

What I'm trying to say really, is music strikes an emotional chord within us and this is more effective, when our antennae's are totally switched on.
Definitely this... you are not alone in your thinking. I currently have the best system I've ever heard and likely to ever own, yet I can go for days without listening to it as I need to be in the right mood to fully appreciate it.

We are emotional creatures and as such prisoners of our senses, perception and emotions, we can be fooled all too easily as music is such a sensory and emotional experience. Don't want to turn this into another cable debate but this is one of the reasons I am a non-believer where cables and hi-res are concerned.

Oxfordian

Definitely this... you are not alone in your thinking. I currently have the best system I've ever heard and likely to ever own, yet I can go for days without listening to it as I need to be in the right mood to fully appreciate it.

We are emotional creatures and as such prisoners of our senses, perception and emotions, we can be fooled all too easily as music is such a sensory and emotional experience. Don't want to turn this into another cable debate but this is one of the reasons I am a non-believer where cables and hi-res are concerned.
I would agree, mostly, whether I have the best system is a matter of debate but it is one that I like and enjoy.

However, whilst I will escape for a couple of hours each evening I find that somedays I just cannot focus on the music and all I really want is some noise in the background whilst I get my mind in order, other days there is a music that I just cannot stand even though I chose it, the moment it begins to play I'm like No, No, No, and have to find something else.

I also find that when I'm really stressed it is back to my roots, back to my formative years and something from the early 70's is played and that is to get me smiling again.

But yes we are emotional creatures, we do react to what is on our minds and to how we feel, not only whether we listen but also what we choose to listen too.

WayneKerr

I would agree, mostly, whether I have the best system is a matter of debate but it is one that I like and enjoy.

However, whilst I will escape for a couple of hours each evening I find that somedays I just cannot focus on the music and all I really want is some noise in the background whilst I get my mind in order, other days there is a music that I just cannot stand even though I chose it, the moment it begins to play I'm like No, No, No, and have to find something else.

I also find that when I'm really stressed it is back to my roots, back to my formative years and something from the early 70's is played and that is to get me smiling again.

But yes we are emotional creatures, we do react to what is on our minds and to how we feel, not only whether we listen but also what we choose to listen too.
"Best" is in the ear of the beholder :) Personally, I'm not a background music person, it is a passion and as such demands my complete attention which can last for many hours just getting lost in the music. Tried today, got 4 tracks into a CD and just turned it all off... not in the right mood at all.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

✅ I've said it before, but with me it's full attention or off.
Never, ever, background music.
My music room is next door to my 'office' well its a junk room with a desk in the corner, I will quite often work on my photography images with a CD running in the background, I find that it relaxes me to have music on whilst I am working.

Other times I just want to sit and listen to the music.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I find that it relaxes me to have music on whilst I am working.
You're going to very strongly disagree of course (fair enough).
But I can only tell you what I believe:
You can listen to music or you can work.
If you do both simultaneously, you're not really doing either properly.
Sorry about my opinion, but it will never change.

Clearly that depends on one's definition of work - but if you're being paid to do it, then you're very lucky to be able to listen to music ;)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

If you factor out the bad days and you still find it wanting and your expectations are not unreasonable, then this might be a good time for a change.

I don't say a changing your HiFi kit will bring the desired outcome, you may just get a different signature to the one that you were accustomed to; or forking out loads of wonga from your plastic is the correct solution, sometimes supple changes like repositioning your speakers or changing your cables is all you need.

Usually the devil in my says, spend spend spend, like a new relationship it's always great at first, until you start looking over your shoulder,....ahem, stop it!

Saves on heating bills.
Valves? Why?

Clearly that depends on one's definition of work - but if you're being paid to do it, then you're very lucky to be able to listen to music ;)
When I'm working, I don't listen to music. When I'm listening to music, I don't work.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Oxfordian

No I’m not going to strongly disagree but we are all different, all through my working life I was in office based work situations with other people working with me, so you learnt over the years to tune out and accept that noise but still be able to do what you were paid to do.

At home I am able to do the same, I can focus on what I am doing and tune out of what is going on around me, it infuriates the wife :)

There are times where I want to grab a drink and just sit and listen, that is so rewarding, then there are other times when I want to have music as that background noise, it helps me focus on what I’m doing.

jjbomber

There are times where I want to grab a drink and just sit and listen, that is so rewarding, then there are other times when I want to have music as that background noise, it helps me focus on what I’m doing.
Indeed. If you are playing your favourite album for the 100th time, it is great as background music. However new albums demand attention for the first few plays at least.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Well said, the psyche always plays the part, is it myth or is it actual?

matthewpianist

I have a vehement dislike for music being used as aural wallpaper, and I believe there is a significant difference between listening (active) and hearing (passive). I try to carve out time when I can listen to music without doing anything else. Maybe, in part, it comes from being a musician and maintaining an active interest in musicology as well as performance, but it's also about the passion for music that others here have already referenced.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to hear a hi-fi system with valves in the signal path. They're probably a bit too expensive for me. However, I would like to listen to one some day.
Having said that my system sounds utterly satisfactory to me when I listen to it. It's one of my favourite things in life. High quality music reproduction. There's nothing like it.......

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
All pure Class A and valve amps need the following to hear them at their best:

1) Need at least 30 mins to warm up
2) Omit too much heat
3) Use too much electricity
4) Valves expensive to replace.
Back in the good ol' days when I use to be young. I so loved my Class A Edison tube mono block amps. It was the bargain of the century, thanks to What Hi-Fi promotion, back in the 80s? Sorry brain is pickled, yes 80's.

They had holographic imagery and who cared about energy costs and climate change back then.
My only gripe, the tubes will pop every now and then (bad earthing?). These were bi-amped and buzzed when I turned on the juice. The red glow peering through the vents, were like lungs inhaling and exhaling, like some alien organism entering into this sphere of existence.
They had a beautiful lush sweetness, full midrange but a little shy in the lowest regions. One word, magic.

I sold these off, when I moved in with a girlfriend and music listening was lost forever.

Few years ago, I rekindled my love for Hi-Fi, when you smoked the pipe, drank the cool aid and worn the t-Shirt, you become more appreciative of the finer things in life and I'm starting to gather my old CD collections. Shame about my vinyl's, my brother has always denied it but he misappropriated those, I bet they're in his attic...hmmm

Anyway, I can't be bothered with tubes. I love them but not reliable. Nevertheless, I do believe in the benefits of Class A. My solid state Class A Singxer head amp is mighty fine and does a good job pushing the planar magnet Hifiman headphones.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic penguin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts