Should we enjoy our system more?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
You're right. I go to Pembroke Dock quite regularly, to one of the boatyards there. Tractors, Campers and Caravans. Aaaaaaaaaghhhh!!!
Why the hell are you complaining?
It's a bit like buying a house next to an airport then complaining about the noise.
The place hasn't changed that much over the years.
And, more to the point your posts have little to do with the thread.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I wasn't complaining, I was having a laugh. Moreover, I didn't bring up the vehicular activity or complain about it, someone else did, and your thumb went up at that. I just answered it in a quick sentence that I shouldn't need to point out was not a complaint but a joke, and you're feeling the need to have a go again. And since you really are having a go this time with your "why the hell" remark, why the hell do you feel the need to keep singling me out. My original remark was about hi fi audio systems and my approach to acquiring my system. And for your information I like living where I do, I often get stuck behind those vehicles that your buddy moaned about and I don't mind at all. I'm impervious to road impatience and do not get angry or frustrated whilst driving. Ever.

Last edited:

matthewpianist

I've just sold quite a bit of kit because I have a wedding to fund and, quite frankly, that's more important. We're keeping the day sensible and with a small gathering, but the costs still pile up.

I'm currently using the kit in my signature - budget stuff from the 70s mostly, apart from the streamer and the late 80s Arcam CD player. I'm not getting very much listening time at present, but when I do I'm enjoying the music. I do have a couple of my newer bits in storage and if I don't find that I need to turn those back into money they will find their way back into my system, but I don't feel desperate.

I haven't driven for about 4 years now, having surrendered my licence for health reasons, but I remember doing big commutes in my 30s and thoroughly enjoying CDs, streaming and radio in the car. In my late 20s I had a Renault Megane with a 5CD changer in the boot and I covered a lot of musical ground (as well as tarmac) in that car. There's also been a few occasions over these past months where I've been limited to using my little £40 Sony bluetooth speaker, and I've still enjoyed listening to music.

At present, if it was all I had, I would be perfectly happy listening on my Technics all-in-one.

So yes, I do think we should spend more time enjoying what we have. There's been so many points at which I could and should have done this. I would have saved myself a lot of money and spent more time listening to the music instead of the equipment.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I've just sold quite a bit of kit because I have a wedding to fund and, quite frankly, that's more important. We're keeping the day sensible and with a small gathering, but the costs still pile up.

I'm currently using the kit in my signature - budget stuff from the 70s mostly, apart from the streamer and the late 80s Arcam CD player. I'm not getting very much listening time at present, but when I do I'm enjoying the music. I do have a couple of my newer bits in storage and if I don't find that I need to turn those back into money they will find their way back into my system, but I don't feel desperate.

I haven't driven for about 4 years now, having surrendered my licence for health reasons, but I remember doing big commutes in my 30s and thoroughly enjoying CDs, streaming and radio in the car. In my late 20s I had a Renault Megane with a 5CD changer in the boot and I covered a lot of musical ground (as well as tarmac) in that car. There's also been a few occasions over these past months where I've been limited to using my little £40 Sony bluetooth speaker, and I've still enjoyed listening to music.

At present, if it was all I had, I would be perfectly happy listening on my Technics all-in-one.

So yes, I do think we should spend more time enjoying what we have. There's been so many points at which I could and should have done this. I would have saved myself a lot of money and spent more time listening to the music instead of the equipment.
From my own experience if I'm happy with the sound of my system then I cease to hear it so to speak and then it really is the music I'm hearing. I might occasionally think "yes this system sounds great" but that's occasional.
If I'm not happy with the sound of one of my components then I'll keep thinking along the lines of; " ..this doesn't sound right, it's dull, lifeless, not satisfactory."
I did experience this with a CD player, then I moved to listening straight out of an iPad into my amplifier. That was OK, I did appreciate my system again and the discovery of lots of new music.
Then I decided to replace the CD player (which had stopped working long before). The sound with the replacement CD player was a massive improvement, a revelation actually, I was very pleased and enjoy my system to the extent that it's the music I hear and enjoy, not the system. Listening fatigue is a thing of the past.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Whilst having lunch (Assam tea and ham sandwiches made with tiger bread) I was taking the time to listen to a few afternoon tunes.

I was thinking on how happy I am with the sound from my system, Bass, mid treble... I am happy with all of it.

I then began to think, reading through the forums on how some people are never happy with the system that they already have.

It does make me wonder why.
  • Mistakes in purchasing?
  • Buying cheaply?
  • Advertisers convincing you that your gear is not quite good enough?
Previously I had a pair of Mission 775 for around 20 years or so. I was very happy with them. So why did I change them.....?
I wanted a pair of Tannoy speakers. I have wanted a pair for over 40 years and eventually saw a pair I'd like at the right price.
So three years ago. I bought the Tannoys and love them.
I am not interested in changing them.... unless better Tannoys I have seen at the right price (Tannoy Ardens anyone?)

I say enjoy what you have. Don't change for changing sake.
It's seems like it's almost as if's a case of last year's great product (phone) is now bettered by this year's new product.

My advice is put some thought in before you purchase and enjoy what you have. whatever you have.
As DCarmi said most of us buy on a budget, that was certainly the case with me, end of line/discontinued products at knock down prices from Richer Sounds. I think my problem is, I'm always second guessing my self "could I have bought a better product?"
I should just sit back and enjoy the music more. My current set up has been hobbled together as components have died and I've not had the budget to replace.
I also have a growing collection of other people's discarded hifi, just sat taking up space, that my wife is getting increasingly frustrated by.

Reactions: Symples

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
It’s an interesting question and one that I find I need to remind myself of.

Looking back over the years there are a number of issues I can point to that have lead to constant tinkering:

1. Trying to get one system that is both a top notch Home Cinema AND a top notch HiFi does not always work.
  2. Going to HiFi shows and hearing systems that cost tens of thousands and then going home to hear your own modest set-up (that normally just takes a couple of days to get over, lol)
  3. Using really big Floorstanders (Mission 754) in a tiny room (say 2.5m x 2m).
  4. Speaker placement in general - dictated by the room layout (I think there was a recent thread on this).
  5. Bad recordings. Quite easy to listen to stuff that sounds good. Move to a bad recording and the (or maybe just my) first reaction is to doubt your HiFi’s ability. A lot of the time the recording is just poor.
I could go on I’m sure.

At the moment I am fortunate enough to have enough room for a separate Home Cinema and HiFi. (Therefore defeating point 1).

I have tried to make sure my speakers are appropriate (defeating point 3) for the room (possibly pushed this a bit for my HiFi (which is in a converted loft)) and in a good position (defeating point 4).

What I do find a little odd in all of this is that I can quite ‘happily’ listen to a system that is not as good (e.g I have a Denon micro in the kitchen powering some Monitor Audio Radius 90HD speakers) knowing it is not as good and be perfectly fine and un-critical with it.

It’s a funny old hobby we involve ourselves in…😊
My system is based around a 2007, Yamaha DSP-AX761 AV receiver and I'm always wondering should I ditch it for a new dedicated stereo amp, I can't remember the last time I watched a movie in surround sound through it, 90% + of the time it is just used in stereo for music but my family always say I will regret it.
I'd love a dedicated room just for hifi, the cellar would be great but as it's currently looking like NORAD down there with my offsprings gaming PC's, so that's not going to happen😂 Having said that my son does have a Pioneer AV receiver hooked up to his PC and a 43" monitor so we do as a family tend to watch films down there.
I also have an "inferior" set up in the dining room consisting of and old Denon mini separates system DRA-F101 and some diminutive Eltax speakers mounted way to high, either side of the chimney breast but I enjoy listening to it.

Messiah

My system is based around a 2007, Yamaha DSP-AX761 AV receiver and I'm always wondering should I ditch it for a new dedicated stereo amp, I can't remember the last time I watched a movie in surround sound through it, 90% + of the time it is just used in stereo for music but my family always say I will regret it.
Lots of factors to consider for this. Could be a nice new thread. 😊

I also have an "inferior" set up in the dining room consisting of and old Denon mini separates system DRA-F101 and some diminutive Eltax speakers mounted way to high, either side of the chimney breast but I enjoy listening to it.
That’s the key right there. 😊

Reactions: Cricketbat70

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yes we should enjoy our systems more. The world was supposed to end by today. Therefore it could happen tomorrow, or the next day.
Conclusion. Enjoy your system more. Look at it. Enjoy the aesthetic beauty of your components. Listen, and enjoy the dynamic qualities of the sound. The sense of space. The separation of the various instruments and or singers.The clarity, the power. The sense of the various emotions and feelings conveyed by the music. Increase the volume. Feel that sound pressure from a whisper at 30 decibels to the thumping and pounding of a bass or drums at 95. Enjoy it while you can and marvel at the materials, the technology and manufacturing capability that allowed all this to become possible. The numerous people who have diligently worked at their jobs to design and make the various components that make up our systems. Thank God and the heavens for your fellow men and women who have achieved everything, that made all of this happen. Peace.

matthewpianist

Coming back to this thread, I've been thinking over the past day or so about how there's components which keep a hold even after you've tried other things. I've had my Dynaudio DM2/6s for 8 years . They've moved home with me several times and been used with a huge range of amplification, and as other speakers have come and gone I've always been reluctant to sell the Dyns.

I've only had the Audiolab amp for a few months, but I've tried other things in that time too, and I can't get past the fact that the 6000A is one of the most engaging amps I've ever heard.

I'm torn, because I still need to sell some things, but given the price rises on some new kit and the generally poor prices being achieved on eBay for current/recent models, it seems senseless to sell a core system that I could sit back and enjoy for years to come, and which offers me all the functionality I need, including a very good headphone output.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Coming back to this thread, I've been thinking over the past day or so about how there's components which keep a hold even after you've tried other things. I've had my Dynaudio DM2/6s for 8 years . They've moved home with me several times and been used with a huge range of amplification, and as other speakers have come and gone, I've always been reluctant to sell the Dyns.

I've only had the Audiolab amp for a few months, but I've tried other things in that time too, and I can't get past the fact that the 6000A is one of the most engaging amps I've ever heard.

I'm torn, because I still need to sell some things, but given the price rises on some new kit and the generally poor prices being achieved on eBay for current/recent models, it seems senseless to sell a core system that I could sit back and enjoy for years to come, and which offers me all the functionality I need, including a very good headphone output.
Yes, I've noticed things just aren't selling like they used to on eBay. I guess it's good if you're looking to purchase used hi-fi. If you can avoid selling any of those components that you like, try to hang on to them if you can.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Coming back to this thread, I've been thinking over the past day or so about how there's components which keep a hold even after you've tried other things. I've had my Dynaudio DM2/6s for 8 years . They've moved home with me several times and been used with a huge range of amplification, and as other speakers have come and gone I've always been reluctant to sell the Dyns.

I know the feeling, I have gear that admittedly I got for nothing but thought about selling, to maybe fund a dedicated CD player (my current CD player is a Denon CEOL RCD-N7 mini system, by-passing its own amp and using the audio out into my Yamaha AV receiver) but looking on eBay the prices they fetch aren't enough. I have a Roksan Kandy KA1 mk3 and a Pro-Ject Debut MK2 that was given to me by a friend who is now quite happy just using a soundbar for everything. My local hifi store basically said they had too much second hand gear at the moment to take them off my hands. They gave me prices to try and get on eBay but I have seen a few Kandy KA1 mk3 on ebay for the price suggested and they've been on there for months and not shifted. To be fair I wasn't even expecting the price suggested to me. But what they go for if they do sell isn't enough for a dedicated CD player.

Oxfordian

Every 1 that likes music/hifi have too start some where. This forum should be based on that. Too Help them on a journey.This is meant too be fun.
I agree, and it applies to most hobbies, you start off dipping your toes into the waters of your new hobby and then if you like it and get more involved so you invest in better gear. You search forums to get help, information and knowledge about your hobby, hopefully from helpful friendly like-minded souls who have trodden the same path.

Reactions: WayneKerr and JDL

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Plenty of people would enjoy their systems more if they demoed before buying. It seems lunacy to spend thousands (sometimes) based purely on mag reviews/star ratings.

I've sinned a couple of times by blind purchasing and come unstuck (Electrocompaniet CDP and Grado headphones).
I stand guilty of blind purchasing, more times than you. But also I stand guilty of second guessing myself when I did demo something bought it, then later read a whathifi review that rated them mediocre. It took me too long to think "you liked these speakers when you demoed them, does it matter what the reviews say?"

Reactions: WayneKerr

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm guilty of 'blind' (or should that be deaf?😂) buying. But I will spend hours and hours trying to find as many opinions as possible on a product, if it's a component not for cables.I'll also consider the reputation of the company that made the product, its original price, it's condition and a dose of my intuition. I have purchased a few products lately and spent a reasonable sum and come out feeling extremely satisfied. My audio system sounds very, very good and I've not spent a fortune at all. A happy music fan is me!!

I stand guilty of blind purchasing, more times than you. But also I stand guilty of second guessing myself when I did demo something bought it, then later read a whathifi review that rated them mediocre. It took me too long to think "you liked these speakers when you demoed them, does it matter what the reviews say?"
For me i don't give a monkeys about star reviews, far important to achieve synergy. If there's a mismatch it'll sound s##t regardless of stars.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts