Should we enjoy our system more?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to hear a hi-fi system with valves in the signal path. They're probably a bit too expensive for me. However, I would like to listen to one some day.
Having said that my system sounds utterly satisfactory to me when I listen to it. It's one of my favourite things in life. High quality music reproduction. There's nothing like it.......
Valve amps tend to give a rounded off sound, the treble is noticeably smoothed off. The bass generally is less tight (flabby) than a typical Class AB, that said vocals tend to be textured and little more realistic.

As I've always said, there's no such thing as a perfect amp, hi-fi has always been will continue to be a compromise.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Back in the good ol' days when I use to be young. I so loved my Class A Edison tube mono block amps. It was the bargain of the century, thanks to What Hi-Fi promotion, back in the 80s? Sorry brain is pickled, yes 80's.

They had holographic imagery and who cared about energy costs and climate change back then.
My only gripe, the tubes will pop every now and then. These were bi-amped and buzzed when I turned on the juice.
I sold these off, when I moved in with a girlfriend and music listening was lost forever.

Few years ago, I rekindled my love for Hi-Fi, when you smoked the pipe, drank the cool aid and worn the t-Shirt, you become more appreciative of the finer things in life and I'm starting to gather my old CD collections. Shame about my vinyl's, my brother has always denied it but he misappropriated those, I bet they're in his attic...hmmm

Anyway, I can't be bothered with tubes. I love them but not reliable. Nevertheless, I do believe in the benefits of Class A. My solid state Class A Singxer head amp is mighty fine and does a good job pushing the planar magnet Hifiman headphones.
Having been through many amplifier and speaker set ups for my beloved bass guitar and my resulting experience with valve set ups in that field (Orange AD200B) I'm afraid I cannot be bothered with valve amps or anything else with valves inside in my home audio.
That is, CD player, integrated amplifier and loudspeakers. I'm interested but unless I win the lottery, I'm staying clear of valves however good they might make something sound.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Having been through many amplifier and speaker set ups for my beloved bass guitar and my resulting experience with valve set ups in that field (Orange AD200B) I'm afraid I cannot be bothered with valve amps or anything else with valves inside in my home audio.
That is, CD player, integrated amplifier and loudspeakers. I'm interested but unless I win the lottery, I'm staying clear of valves however good they might make something sound.

Oh absolutely, a good solid state design class A amp, can sound every bit as velvety as a tube amp and none of the vices.
On AliExpress they're selling so many tube amps and not unreasonable price and tubes are always replaceable but decided against it, there's the issue of reliability and also, I have two grandsons and two Maine **** (cat breed - not a rude word :)) that like to prod at things. :)

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Oh absolutely, a good solid state design class A amp, can sound every bit as velvety as a tube amp and none of the vices.
On AliExpress they're selling so many tube amps and not unreasonable price and tubes are always replaceable but decided against it, there's the issue of reliability and also, I have two grandsons and two Maine **** (cat breed - not a rude word :)) that like to prod at things. :)
I agree. I really am a deep music lover. I enjoy the priveledge and luxury to be able to listen carefully and avidly to music especially classical, for hours every day if I can. I'm pretty sure I'd get through too many valves too quickly for my own taste.
My home stereo setup sounds lovely to me and has no valves, so I'm alright without them.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Definitely. I have got a Sonos Beam mainly for tv sound but it plays Amazon Music. I find the sound perfectly acceptable and listen to it as an alternative to my separates. Playing Fleetwood Mac in Dolby Atmos gives another dimension which is hard to replicate in stereo. Everyone to their own.

Reactions: JDL

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
"Best" is in the ear of the beholder :) Personally, I'm not a background music person, it is a passion and as such demands my complete attention which can last for many hours just getting lost in the music. Tried today, got 4 tracks into a CD and just turned it all off... not in the right mood at all.
Yep I've had that all week until tonight, tonight I'm IN

Reactions: JDL and Oxfordian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts