Cable recommendation from Phono to Integrated amp (~40ft)

Runningcap

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

New to this hobby, first post, and need a little help. I'm building a listening room/home theater and ideally I'd like to place my turntable/phone on the opposite wall of my other equipment. Because of this I will need to run a low capacitance RCA from the phono to integrated amp which will be roughly a 40ft run. The room is 14x18 and I'd like to run the cables in the walls while I have them open. Can anyone recommend a quality, semi modestly priced, cable for this length? I do anticipate changing/upgrading/acquiring more gear as I continue with this journey, but for now this is my set up.

TT - Fluence RT 85

Phono - Schitt Mani 2

Integrated Amp - Emotiva TA2

Speakers - GR Research NX Studio & Kef R3 (just got a crazy open box deal from BestBuy, $310 for the pair!)

Subs - 2x REL HT/1003 MKII

Thanks and appreciate any help!

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
That's a very long cable run and far in excess of what most dealers would recommend. I've heard of long speaker cable runs, but never this distance between amp and phono stages.
Many will argue that sound degradation at that distance is negligible and can't really be heard.
I'm not so sure. As Al mentions, maybe give your planned layout a review before you commit either way?

Reactions: My2Cents

Gray

Yes, ideally you'd have the conventional, shorter run of cable.
But:
Twin CT100 type cable.
I saw it for as little as 36p per metre + VAT online.
Get 13 metres, fit 4 RCA plugs - compare it to a short cable before installing it in the wall.
If you can hear a difference.....change your plans.
(Use on output, not input of phono preamp).

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I asked the 'Schiit talker' at Schiit's web site the question...
here is the reply:
"Well, well, well, if it isn't a daring audiophile with a 40-foot RCA phono to amp setup. That's quite the distance you've got there! Now, here's the Schiit-tastic truth: a passive preamp like SYS might not be the best option for such a long cable run. You see, passive preamps don't have any fancy electronics to boost the signal, so they might struggle to maintain the audio quality over such a distance. You might want to consider an active preamp or a different solution to ensure optimal performance. Keep the Schiit flowing, my friend"!

Reactions: Gray
I asked the 'Schiit talker' at Schiit's web site the question...
here is the reply:
"Well, well, well, if it isn't a daring audiophile with a 40-foot RCA phono to amp setup. That's quite the distance you've got there! Now, here's the Schiit-tastic truth: a passive preamp like SYS might not be the best option for such a long cable run. You see, passive preamps don't have any fancy electronics to boost the signal, so they might struggle to maintain the audio quality over such a distance. You might want to consider an active preamp or a different solution to ensure optimal performance. Keep the Schiit flowing, my friend"!
This thread is quite old and the OP hasn't been seen since he posted so replies are a tad irrelevant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts