Power amp or Stereo Amp

hybridauth_Facebook_510294638

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I have recently upgraded to a Denon X4800h and Kef R3 Meta's along with a Wiim Pro Plus.
I had my kefs bi amped from the Denon but actually found them better in just 2 channel mode. (More punchy surprisingly)

I'm thinking of adding either a power amp or a stereo integrated amp to run the Kefs.

I don't want to spend too much and may go second hand. I don't know how good the amps are comparatively in the Denon to a a PM8006 or an emotiva power amp.

What is going to get the best out of my speakers?

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
I think to get the best from the kefs you need an amp with plenty of power & headroom. If you don’t want to spend too much I know many folks rate the Nord acoustics class d hypex power amps. You get lots of power in a small footprint & as you purchase directly from the manufacturer they are great value for money. Just a thought……..😀

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I think to get the best from the kefs you need an amp with plenty of power & headroom. If you don’t want to spend too much I know many folks rate the Nord acoustics class d hypex power amps. You get lots of power in a small footprint & as you purchase directly from the manufacturer they are great value for money. Just a thought……..😀
Thanks I'll give them a look, was thinking class A/B would be a good choice mind?
In my logical brain I don't need anything other than amplification. Input control, streaming, pre amp is all covered either with the Wiim Pro Plus and or the X4800h.
So a power amp for the same money as a stereo amp should give better quality amplification for the money!?

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough, I understand now. However, I won’t try to help further because I’ve no idea how you’d add an external power amp yet retain a cinema set up.
Can either go direct from the wiim pro plus to the amp for music then via Denon. Via a switch probably to make life easier. Or everything goes through the Denon as a pre amp.
It's easy enough to do I just don't have the knowledge on the amplifier side as to what will be a noticeable improvement for reasonable money.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hello!

I have recently upgraded to a Denon X4800h and Kef R3 Meta's along with a Wiim Pro Plus.
I had my kefs bi amped from the Denon but actually found them better in just 2 channel mode. (More punchy surprisingly)

I'm thinking of adding either a power amp or a stereo integrated amp to run the Kefs.

I don't want to spend too much and may go second hand. I don't know how good the amps are comparatively in the Denon to a a PM8006 or an emotiva power amp.

What is going to get the best out of my speakers?
Modern transistor amplifiers do not affect the sound: what you allegedly hear is a psychoacoustic illusion. I advise you to focus on your room, this is the most powerful factor that affects the final sound of your setup

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts