Cable Burn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
All from our friend Karl Friedrich Gauss
[/quote]

Amazing - the parallels with my own life are uncanny:

[quote user="Wikipedia"]"His father had wanted him to follow in his footsteps and become a mason. He was not supportive of Gauss's schooling in mathematics and science"[/quote]

Except my dad was a bricklayer. For my first three years of university he thought I was doing chemistry. And that this meant I would work for Boots..........

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Irony - it's not just how iron tastes...

Very good.
emotion-21.gif
But it would be pronounced 'iony'?

A

Anonymous

I do find it extremely hard to believe that the molecular structure of a 1m piece of wire stays the same after having hours and hours of varying voltage of electricity going through it. Therefore it must sound different, nothing in the universe stays the same ever for even the shortest period., so theoretically to get two exact components to sound the same is impossible anyway.

my cables probably cost around 5% of the system. I have heard differences and, musically, they have been better.

just my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Im afraid that at the miniscule voltages and current that you audio cables carry they do remain the same.

Oh and has anyone with these ultra cables ever taken a driver out of the cabinet and seen the wiring that carrys the signle from the gold plated plugs through the crossover to the driver coils?

They aint big or silver/gold plated and still give a rich sound. Ill be quiet now

emotion-16.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hybridfiat"]They aint big or silver/gold plated and still give a rich sound. Ill be quiet now[/quote]

Many moon ago I rewiered internal cables in Kef Coda 10 with QED silver and they sounded aweful comparing to original! Can't explained why though!

A

Anonymous

How can I take the word of a Fiat driver seriously.
emotion-34.gif
I terminated my cables myself, so I know they are done well, where as the interconnect before and after comparison wasnt subtle.

trying to hear the difference week by week through the burn in process was hard, I eventualy had a bench build to rest my head near the tweeters for prolonged periods.

monday was a terrible day.

A

Anonymous

"How can I take the word of a Fiat driver seriously"
I should report this as abuse!
Actually Its powered by a worked Japanese 16 valve turboed motor, hence the 'hybrid' tag.
I have read and been involved in similar "discussions" on other sites. ie The controversy of moly coated projectiles in benchrest shooting, or platinum/multi tipped spark plugs for more power in racing.
It all boils down to what you percieve is better.
As long as no-one is unhappy about spending the money and no children go hungry because mummy and daddy blew the budget to put 24 carat knobs on the amp for smoother tone control I guess it dosnt matter.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="hybridfiat"]They aint big or silver/gold plated and still give a rich sound. Ill be quiet now[/quote]

Many moon ago I rewiered internal cables in Kef Coda 10 with QED silver and they sounded aweful comparing to original! Can't explained why though!

[/quote]Ooo that's interesting, I've often wondered about that.

As speaker designers are hugely clever individuals I guess that they ensure everything in the speaker is matched and complimentary from the input through the cabling and crossovers to the drivers and that tinkering with it probably won't yield any inprovements, unless you too are hugely clever, and I know I'm not!!

As for cable burn, I remember reading about the Nordost burning-in device a few years ago and couldn't help thinking "Snake oil!" - I know Andrew, 50p in the pot!! - but as I've made a career of sitting on the fence I have to balance that by adding the caveat there might be something in it. Ouch, the splinters!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Do you want an Eddie Izzard-type explanation? Something along the lines of all the tiny musicians marching through the cable in one direction....

Maybe not.
emotion-42.gif
There may be something going on we don't understand but who knows without scientific experiments.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Burn in...dunno...doubt it, but I have yet to hear a good explanation as to how a cable in an AC circuit can be directional at all? After all the current goes both ways equally doesn't it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts