Best Floorstanders under £1000

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
OK. Some of you will already be aware (and indeed helped) I'm currently piecing together my first system. I have a DAC and a Leema Pulse amp (original) which has just turned up. Next step is some floorstanding speakers....

Over the next week or so I'll be booking in some time at Superfi and taking the Leema in to see what they have. B&W CM8's are my early favourites although they are really strectching the budget (I'll need to wait wait for them to drop to £1050 in the Superfi sale when it comes around). I also fancied trying the MA RX6 for £800 - they are a nice looking speaker. Any other thoughts? I see what HiFi goes mad for the Tannoy DC6T's - not heard much else on them tho.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
a grand to spend on speakers..... you can more or less audition every speaker in your local Superfi - and you should. The epos range are very nice, slim too also try the BX5's which actually look and sound like a grands worth of speaker, honestly if I had a grand to spend on a pair of speakers I'd be booking the demo rooms out for the next few weeks, have fun. give mini reviews on the speakers you hear.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Couple of questions.

Do they have to be new?

Do they have to be floorstanding?

Is there any flexibility in budget?

Personally I haven't been a big fan of any of the floorstanders I have heard at the kind of price, preferring the ones that start at about twice that mark. Bear in mind it costs a fair bit to produce a rigid nice looking wooden box that kind of size!

If I was to spend £1000 I would be looking at Kef R300's but that's only my taste, and I think you should demo, demo, demo, and don't be scared to try a few curve balls too.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

To answer some of the questions.

I wouldn't rule out a great deal 2nd hand on something in top notch condition.

Budget wise £1000 is the max really and I would have to be really bowled over to stretch to that. Originally was limitiing the budget to £600 until I heard and saw the CM8's.

I tend to prefer the look of floorstanders and given that stands for stand mounters are quite pricey I assumed (wrongly no doubt!) that that money spent on the stand might as well be invested in the single standmounter (e.g. £1000 budget for a stand mounter is actually £700 is the stand is £300).

Not heard of the EPOS and a couple of recommendations there. Will definitely check out the BX5's for £500 - if they sound close to the CM8'd then I'll be a happy man.

Just been reading on the Tannoy DC6T's - What Hi Fi suggesting £1400 worth of speaker for £800 and they generally sell at £600 these days - on paper this sounds unbeatable?

PP - just showed those MA's to the wife - she can just about stomach the CM8's so the response wasn't favourable!

Appreciate this will go down to preference but can feel the shortlist coming together so thanks - keep 'em coming.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I should add that the following are key in my decision making here:

- clarity at low volumes (Semi detached - kids etc) - not bothered about mega bass

- good soundstage - I want Bob Dylan in my dining room!

- good fit, finish

BluePotato said:
Thanks for the input.

To answer some of the questions.

I wouldn't rule out a great deal 2nd hand on something in top notch condition.

Budget wise £1000 is the max really and I would have to be really bowled over to stretch to that. Originally was limitiing the budget to £600 until I heard and saw the CM8's.

I tend to prefer the look of floorstanders and given that stands for stand mounters are quite pricey I assumed (wrongly no doubt!) that that money spent on the stand might as well be invested in the single standmounter (e.g. £1000 budget for a stand mounter is actually £700 is the stand is £300).

Not heard of the EPOS and a couple of recommendations there. Will definitely check out the BX5's for £500 - if they sound close to the CM8'd then I'll be a happy man.

Just been reading on the Tannoy DC6T's - What Hi Fi suggesting £1400 worth of speaker for £800 and they generally sell at £600 these days - on paper this sounds unbeatable?

PP - just showed those MA's to the wife - she can just about stomach the CM8's so the response wasn't favourable!

Appreciate this will go down to preference but can feel the shortlist coming together so thanks - keep 'em coming.

Are you talking about my RS6s in the sig or the links to Leema Xones or Spendor A5?

If you can get hold of a pair of Totem Arros, they sound fantastic with the Pulse. For their dinky size they are scarily big sounding. Wonderful.

Also, do listen to PMC GB1s. I've heard the DB1is and they sound terrific. Very wife friendly too. :clap:

A

Anonymous

IF you like the CM8s and looking for great voicing and soundstage why not give the CM1s a try. I auditioned them both alongside the Rx2 and bx5 and found their performance better than these and anything else under £500. The CM1s and 8s are voiced the same except for the Cm8 obviously looking and sounding bigger, but the CM1 does produce fantastic bass for their size. If massive bass isn't that important then I would definitely be looking at the cm1.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
If I was to spend £1000 I would be looking at Kef R300's but that's only my taste, and I think you should demo, demo, demo, and don't be scared to try a few curve balls too.

Or even the R500's which can occasionally come up B Stock close to your budget. Great depth for the size.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
These Eltax Shine 8's http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/Enceintes/Eltax-Shine-8.html give me great satisfaction in my kitchen, but I've not heard them compared with anything else (apart of course from the main speakers in my parlour and bedroom). The link above is from an outlet in France, so you'll have to pay for postage as well. But they do come in at well under your £1000 limit, in fact they will certainly be under £500 total.

Richer Sounds sell a few Eltax speakers, but not the Shine 8. But Richer Sounds may be able to get them for you. However, while you are there, ask about the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 on this page http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/speakers/floorstanders#7. which are now £200 cheaper than they once were. A salesman in Richer Sounds was warmly speaking of it on Saturday. In fact Richer Sounds seem to be doing deals on several floorstanders, not forgetting ones like the Tannoy V4 on the previous Richer Sounds page. Also on the next pages, are the Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 and BX6 and the highly regarded (and about to be discontinued I think) Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T at £800. I've not myself heard any of these speakers, apart of course from my Eltax, so I am going on reputation alone.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
These Eltax Shine 8's http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/Enceintes/Eltax-Shine-8.html give me great satisfaction in my kitchen, but I've not heard them compared with anything else (apart of course from the main speakers in my parlour and bedroom). The link above is from an outlet in France, so you'll have to pay for postage as well. But they do come in at well under your £1000 limit, in fact they will certainly be under £500 total.

Richer Sounds sell a few Eltax speakers, but not the Shine 8. But Richer Sounds may be able to get them for you. However, while you are there, ask about the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 on this page http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/speakers/floorstanders#7. which are now £200 cheaper than they once were. A salesman in Richer Sounds was warmly speaking of it on Saturday. In fact Richer Sounds seem to be doing deals on several floorstanders, not forgetting ones like the Tannoy V4 on the previous Richer Sounds page. Also on the next pages, are the Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 and BX6 and the highly regarded (and about to be discontinued, I think) Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T at £800. I've not myself heard any of these speakers, apart of course from my Eltax, so I am going on reputation alone.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I think a big part of the decision comes down to how important the looks are. I'm in a similar situation!

My missus also likes the CMs, and I don't think there's a better balance of price, looks and sound quality. She also prefers floorstanders as she hates metal speaker stands in the living room.

I quite fancied a number of standmounters, but as you say you're probably better putting the cost of the stands towards bigger speakers instead.

I used to have RS6s (well, still do, but they're in storage) and the RX6 look nice, but I quite fancy a bit more of a change.

I also fancy the XTZs, but I'd love the mag to do a review of them before I take the plunge on something relatively unknown http://www.audiosanctum.co.uk/Floorstanding-Loudspeakers/XTZ-99.36mkII-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-Piano-Black-Pair.html Beautifully finished, ribbon tweeter, great quality drive units.

Those Tannoys are definitely interesting. Might try to hear some soon.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
First demo session booked for tomorrow at Superfi. Will be taking a long lunch to test out what they have in store. Taking my Leema amp in to so not whilst not worn in yet very exciting to hear how it sings.

Ill be compiling a CD of suitable tunes after the footy has finished. Local Superfi don't have a massive selection but I noticed:

B&W CM8

B&W 684

Monitor Audio BX5

monitor Audio RX8

Its a start! Will post back with the findings. Need to see what Sevenoaks have to offer next.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
They have the Dali's in my local Richer Sounds but the demo room there is so small you are practically sat on the speakers - silly really because nothing sounds that good that way and put me off bothering.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BluePotato said:
First demo session booked for tomorrow at Superfi. Will be taking a long lunch to test out what they have in store. Taking my Leema amp in to so not whilst not worn in yet very exciting to hear how it sings.

Ill be compiling a CD of suitable tunes after the footy has finished. Local Superfi don't have a massive selection but I noticed:

B&W CM8

B&W 684

Monitor Audio BX5

monitor Audio RX8

Its a start! Will post back with the findings. Need to see what Sevenoaks have to offer next.

They have Dyns why not go for a spin with DM 3/7...?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts