Best Floorstanders under £1000

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
If only I could see a review of XTZ 99.36 (hint, cough, pleeeeease?!) as I'd be a little happier buying blind, otherwise I'll need to wait 'til September to hear them.
Don't XTZ do sale or return on their speakers?

bigblue235 said:
plastic penguin said:
No - I've heard the A85 a number of times over the years and it's a very good amp. I've always loved Arcam stuff and that won't change just because I have a Leema. I would say the FMJ A32 or A38 is nearer to the Leema than the A85.

Also the A85 is a £800 amp from around 2001/2002, whereas the Leema is a £1250-£1300 amp from 2008. Not huge I concede, but the shear realism from Leema is pretty staggering for the price. You can really see where the extra money has been spent. It's far from perfect, though. Ideally would like a slightly richer midrange, and if I had small standmounted speakers would yearn for a little more bass extension.

After hearing the amp with Spendors, MA gold, PMC and Totem the Pulse really does thrive on better equipment than I own. That said, the RS6 aren't a let down. On the contrary, in isolation, it sounds pretty impressive; only when you compare with much better speakers you go: "Okay, right." Likewise with the Rega CDP it sounded more open and detailed; the bass was taut, however, the extra detail and upper midrange thrust just provoked the RSs tweeter, just beyond what I deem as comfortable, certainly on a long session. The Arcam CDP, although well balanced, in comparison with the Rega, slightly rolls off the top-end thus giving the overall presentation a slightly smoother presentaion.

Interesting, cheers for the response!

Regarding the section in bold, I think it's hard to compare them the way we're attempting to do given the differing times when they launched. What I was getting as was that I imagine the A85 and Leema are in a similar class as I feel they would probably be comparable prices if they were on the market together. Wasn't the A32 just an A85 in a fancy jacket? (I know, I know!) And I'd take an A38 over the Leema, but each to their own :)

Regarding the sources, as I used mine with a CD192, I don't think there really was a better match. But even then, the difference between the 192 and an Apple TV was so slight that I won't mind getting rid of the player and putting the money to the speaker fund. It might niggle me giving up a little performance from the source, but I'll gain a fair bit on the speakers.

The RS6 is definitely a decent speaker. I've also heard better, but I'm struggling to replace them with something noticeably better for my £1000 budget. Which is a pain, especially when they're only being changed for aesthetic reasons! If I get £350 for the CD player then I can look at £1350 speakers, and with the VAT off maybe £1500 speakers, so hopefully I'll find something worthy of the dosh.

If only I could see a review of XTZ 99.36 (hint, cough, pleeeeease?!) as I'd be a little happier buying blind, otherwise I'll need to wait 'til September to hear them.

When talking about the 192 you are a keeper of one of the finest CDPs around IMO. It's a different animal to the CD73. Gone is the traditional Arcam smoothness and replaced by a venimous clout. Not surprised the Apple isn't very different.

Agreed: the RS6s are fabulous speakers, and I've never, as you well know, kept quiet about the fact: IMHO they are still one of the best sub-£1000 floorstanders around. But like all components they have their 'ceiling'...

What speakers have you tried and not thought worthy of change?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
It's only the mainstream stuff I can hear here - B&W, MA, that sort of stuff, although I have listened to a few other £1000 speakers on the mainland a little while ago. It's not just that I can't get better, the CMs sounded good, and were way better on the 'will they fit in with the decor' front, but I just grudge paying another £600 on top of what I get for the MAs for something that doesn't sound £600 better. I guess I'll just need to lump it. The missus picked out a pair of floorstandimg PMCs last time we were in a dealer, so I'll maybe try to make her think I'm happy to go along with her before I tell her the price!

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Good stuff. Have to say that the Pulse, as much as anything, will benefit from a much better source. As good as the DacMagic is - and the Arcam rDac - you really need to listen to something, Dac-wise, in the region of Rega as minimum.

My Arcam CDP is beautifully balanced, when I had the Apollo on home dem there was a marked uplift in performance over the Arcam. However, the RS6s were starting to show deficiencies with extra detail the Rega was pumping out. So once I've got the Totems I'll be searching for a Rega Saturn or Arcam FMJ CD37.

Well good news (kind of (I think). Richer Sounds called, CA have deemed my DACMAgic unrepairable. So, options are a refund (only paid out approx £180 in first place) or replacement. There isn't really a direct replacement so I've arranged to take the DacMagic100 in that I've got on loan and return home with the 3 DAC's below for a home demo:

- ARCAM R PAC £150

- ARCAM R DAC £325

- Cambridge Audio DAC Magic plus £350

Really can't stretch any more than another £100 or more, think I'd be in for a divorce given my outlay in the last month or so. Hoping the R PAC is as good as any. I was reading a blind test in What Hi Fi a couple of months ago and without disupte the R PAC edged the R DAC - high hopes.

Just checking out the DAC Magic Plus because they have it and I get the impression they can knock a chunk of that price.

BluePotato said:
plastic penguin said:
Good stuff. Have to say that the Pulse, as much as anything, will benefit from a much better source. As good as the DacMagic is - and the Arcam rDac - you really need to listen to something, Dac-wise, in the region of Rega as minimum.

My Arcam CDP is beautifully balanced, when I had the Apollo on home dem there was a marked uplift in performance over the Arcam. However, the RS6s were starting to show deficiencies with extra detail the Rega was pumping out. So once I've got the Totems I'll be searching for a Rega Saturn or Arcam FMJ CD37.

Well good news (kind of (I think). Richer Sounds called, CA have deemed my DACMAgic unrepairable. So, options are a refund (only paid out approx £180 in first place) or replacement. There isn't really a direct replacement so I've arranged to take the DacMagic100 in that I've got on loan and return home with the 3 DAC's below for a home demo:

- ARCAM R PAC £150

- ARCAM R DAC £325

Really can't stretch any more than another £100 or more, think I'd be in for a divorce given my outlay in the last month or so. Hoping the R PAC is as good as any. I was reading a blind test in What Hi Fi a couple of months ago and without disupte the R PAC edged the R DAC - high hopes.

Just checking out the DAC Magic Plus because they have it and I get the impression they can knock a chunk of that price.

Take one of the Arcam Dacs and see how they compare. Richer Sounds have a 28 day returns policy. If you don't rate the Arcam stuff have the DacMagic 100.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Crocodile said:
So are the A5s keepers?

Getting happier with them by the day. Think my ears are relaxing a bit. Was so busy over analysis each noise and trying to assess whether it had more sparkle than another speaker or not. was silly. The whole thing definitely sounding better now. Could happily stick with this little DACMagic 100 Richer Sounds have lent me but looking forward to spending a couple of weeks with the 3 above to see what the difference is.

Hard to not just keep listening to Dire Straits! Bowie stuff seems really well recorded too, enjoying that.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BluePotato said:
plastic penguin said:

- ARCAM R PAC £150

- ARCAM R DAC £325

Take one of the Arcam Dacs and see how they compare. Richer Sounds have a 28 day returns policy. If you don't rate the Arcam stuff have the DacMagic 100.

I'm taking all 3 of them PP. Guy at Richer Sounds just needs to get an RPAC in from another store. Doubles up as a headphone amp I think that one too - should be interesting with my B&W P5's

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
In fact, researching the rPAC further it may not be the one for me. It doesn't seem to have optical in, only USB. I stream from Airport Express so think that's the end of that.

R DAC vs CA DACMagicPlus it is then

matthewpiano

Don't discount the Peter Comeau designed Wharfedale Diamond 10 range. I've heard a couple of the floorstanding models and thought the 10.4s were particularly nice. Not expensive but very musical, involving and atmospheric with just the right amount of bass. Worth an audition if nothing else.

matthewpiano said:
Don't discount the Peter Comeau designed Wharfedale Diamond 10 range. I've heard a couple of the floorstanding models and thought the 10.4s were particularly nice. Not expensive but very musical, involving and atmospheric with just the right amount of bass. Worth an audition if nothing else.

Matt, he's just taken delivery of Spendor A5.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

Matt, he's just taken delivery of Spendor A5.

Whoops, didn't see that post!

To the OP - hope the A5s work out. Very nice speakers indeed. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts