Best Floorstanders under £1000

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BluePotato said:
Fancied hearing those spendors. No stockist locally tho. Can't help but think for £999 ex demo there are a cracking deal but might have to let them go.

Atanakta - great idea re the mezzo 6. Not heard them before but they are a price I'd be happy with. Think I might do this 60 day trial thing. Nothing to lose it seems??

I know inter_voice and the_Dude 2 have/had the Spendor SA-1 standmounts with his Pulse and loved them. Likewise I heard the SA-1 and in many ways impressive. Really depends how you like the sound: smooth or a sound with an edge. The Spendors (A5s) will slightly smooth out the signature of the Pulse.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what I meant... Good price & good value ( " Possibly the best in their class " verdict from WHF at the back of their magazines - the long list of speakers, you know - comparing them with B&W684 , MA RX6 etc. , ) , Free delivery, 60 -days audition and free collection thereafter, if you don`t like them.... There is nothing to lose here . And I`ve been more than happy with them :) You could look at My Setup to se what they look like if you want to ....

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well.... thought I'd cracked it. Nice home demo of the Mezzo's - gives me a chance to run the Leema in for free if nothing else and buys me time. Had the speakers in the basket ready to buy but then we nipped into town. Jackpot - chance to just bob in Richer Sounds and show the missus. FLAT (and I mean flat!) refusal to have them in the house - too big (even on a free trial!).

Wasn't quite expecting that response but it will ultimately work in my favour (i.e. spending more to satisfy her requirements!). Speakers she has liked so far has been

B&W CM8 (demo'd and liked, music felt alive - although possibly expected a little more for the money)

Monitor Audio RX8 (demo'd and didn't particularly like in comparison to the CM8 - sounded 'thinner' - could have been the set up of the unworn in Leema - they seem well regarded in here?)

Spendor A5 (not demo'd and not likely to demo as can't find anywhere near me that stocks. As per earlier in this post though - like the idea of these ex-demo for £1000 - love how these read - surely they have to be a step up from the above?)

So my head right now says gamble on the Spendors. Feels a gamble to spend £1000 on something you've not heard but heck I did it with the Leema. Worst case they go back on E-bay.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Or these as advised by PP, under budget and worth a punt ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Totem-Arro-Floorstanding-Speakers-Preowned-/200781650612?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2ebf84dab4

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha...the Wife-Factor - something you can`t have a laugh with...
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

BluePotato said:
Well.... thought I'd cracked it. Nice home demo of the Mezzo's - gives me a chance to run the Leema in for free if nothing else and buys me time. Had the speakers in the basket ready to buy but then we nipped into town. Jackpot - chance to just bob in Richer Sounds and show the missus. FLAT (and I mean flat!) refusal to have them in the house - too big (even on a free trial!).

Wasn't quite expecting that response but it will ultimately work in my favour (i.e. spending more to satisfy her requirements!). Speakers she has liked so far has been

B&W CM8 (demo'd and liked, music felt alive - although possibly expected a little more for the money)

Monitor Audio RX8 (demo'd and didn't particularly like in comparison to the CM8 - sounded 'thinner' - could have been the set up of the unworn in Leema - they seem well regarded in here?)

Spendor A5 (not demo'd and not likely to demo as can't find anywhere near me that stocks. As per earlier in this post though - like the idea of these ex-demo for £1000 - love how these read - surely they have to be a step up from the above?)

So my head right now says gamble on the Spendors. Feels a gamble to spend £1000 on something you've not heard but heck I did it with the Leema. Worst case they go back on E-bay.

Hi, try out the Rega RS3s - compact, good looking, great sounding with lots of detail, decent bass and brilliant soundstage

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Ha - looked for those earlier in the week and nothing came up. 1 other constraint - needs to be a darker wood look, dining room furntirure is all darker themed. Perfect price and size tho.

A

Anonymous

They do black ash if that's any good for you? They are what I have with us also having dark wood theme and think look good.

Whichever way you go enjoy the search and hope whichever ones you go with get you smiling broadly.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
OK, hows about these ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spendor-A5-floorstanding-speakers-/221049134385?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item33778e1d31

(not feeling great today, too much time today !!!!)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
or these, they seem to everywhere,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spendor-A5-Speakers-Mint-/300730260790?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4604eb9d36

I'll stop now

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
BluePotato said:
If you buy from a business seller, either direct or from Ebay, then you SHOULD be covered by DSR. That would give you seven days to try them & only have to stump up the return postage, which is likely to be less than any loss (plus fees) reselling.

Note the SHOULD though. Despite it being a legal requirement some busness sellers don't like to play ball, so probably best to check their policy with them first (by e-mail so you have it in writing).

I see one pair of those A5s is listed by HiFi Corner. When I was looking for a used pair of A6 they were agreeable to a sale or return, but never actually got back to me to do the deal. Probably worth a call.

Haven't heard the A5 but I'm currently running A6 on my Pulse III with no complaints. Although Spendor reckon the A5 needs at least 50cm rear & side clearance.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
ifor said:
Correction, according to my A5 placement instructions: 20cm rear, 30cm side, 2 to 3 metres apart.

Spendor Support said:
A5 benefits from placement of greater than 30 cm from any room boundary; ideally, 50cm from a rear wall would be a good starting point, in our experience.
;)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Crocodile said:
ifor said:
Correction, according to my A5 placement instructions: 20cm rear, 30cm side, 2 to 3 metres apart.

Spendor Support said:
A5 benefits from placement of greater than 30 cm from any room boundary; ideally, 50cm from a rear wall would be a good starting point, in our experience.
;)

Fair enough. Oh to have that space! I achieve the 20cm, but 50cm would encroach far too much into my room. I can't manage 2m apart either, but they still sound damn good.

Interesting, that in another thread (£2000 speakers) the poster was/is considering A6s in a room 15' x 15'. Maybe A5s or even A3s would be more suitable.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
For reasons I don't understand, the A6 is actually more tolerant than the A5. My room is 18' x 12' & the A6 are positioned similarly to your A5.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
These are the ones I'm 'this close' to buying. Might just check in on the returns policy tomorrow and then go for it.

Nothing like a bit of indecision. :grin:

A

Anonymous

Did you get a listen to the Tannoys?

I have the DC6T signatures, work well for me with the bonus that they're very easy on the eye so the good lady wife's happy!

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I did! They confirmed 7 day return so figure nothing to lose. Fingers crossed.

Now just need interconnect and cable. Not sure re interconnect but thought chord carnival silver screen for speaker cable. Sound ok?

TRENDING THREADS