Best Floorstanders under £1000

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BluePotato said:
I did! They confirmed 7 day return so figure nothing to lose. Fingers crossed.

Now just need interconnect and cable. Not sure re interconnect but thought chord carnival silver screen for speaker cable. Sound ok?

Congrest on your new speaker set !!! :cheers:

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, Spendors arrived today. Hooked up with the Leema (not yet run in). Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable, Chord Crimson Plus interconnects, CA DacMagic (using CD output). First impressions vs the CM8's previously tested......

not blown away yet. Sounds nice, clear and balanced. Not sure if I just always expect more. Don't see a big step up from the CM8's, in fact not sure if I prefer the CM8 sound at the moment - very close.

Maybe the whole system just needs a bit of time to get some current through it's veins and open up. Will have to get a good listen in over the weekend to work out if they are keepers.

A

Anonymous

Obviously the MA. RX6's (around £700)

Monitor%20Audio%20RX6%202.jpg

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
The plot thickens. Didn't have too long to listen last night and as mentioned my initial thoughts are these as good as CM8's. This morning I've noticed a fuzzy/crackly resonance coming from the left speaker (to my left when I facing the same way as the speaker). I'm assuming this isn't normal and the right speaker doesn't have the same noise. I've not had much chance to look before work so will have to get back to it tonight but in the meantime thought I'd canvas opinion.

There is a fair chance I've just not set the system up correctly (as its first one I've done!). I'm running chord crimson plus from dacmagic into the CD slots on the amp. I'm not using banana plugs and have circa 1.5cm bare wire into the amp and speakers.

I'm tempted to drop the seller a note this morning to let him know.

Mega confused but hopefully if I can resolve this might explain not being blown away by the sound (ca dacmagic comment received Pp - thanks).

BluePotato said:
The plot thickens. Didn't have too long to listen last night and as mentioned my initial thoughts are these as good as CM8's. This morning I've noticed a fuzzy/crackly resonance coming from the left speaker (to my left when I facing the same way as the speaker). I'm assuming this isn't normal and the right speaker doesn't have the same noise. I've not had much chance to look before work so will have to get back to it tonight but in the meantime thought I'd canvas opinion.

There is a fair chance I've just not set the system up correctly (as its first one I've done!). I'm running chord crimson plus from dacmagic into the CD slots on the amp. I'm not using banana plugs and have circa 1.5cm bare wire into the amp and speakers.

I'm tempted to drop the seller a note this morning to let him know.

Mega confused but hopefully if I can resolve this might explain not being blown away by the sound (ca dacmagic comment received Pp - thanks).

Try and listen to a pair of headphones. If it's the same with headphones it's the amp. If fine then either wiring or speaker issue.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Power everything off & check all connections are tight & that there are no stray strands of speaker wire. As they're used it probably wouldn't hurt to remove the bridging plates & check they're clean before refitting & tightening. If the problem persists then switch speakers, if the fault moves with the speaker then it's the speaker that's at fault.

If the CDP will allow simultaneous analogue & digital output, try connecting the analogue to the Leema so you can compare the sound with & without the Dac Magic.

AJ20011 said:
Obviously the MA. RX6's (around £700)
Not read the thread then?

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well.... Plugged the headphones in and still a problem so it's either the DACMagic, or the amp (I've ruled out airport express as unplugging the optical into the DAC makes no difference). Switch off the DACMagic and there is no crackle so suggests its the DAC Magic (which was ex demo).

Still under guarantee at least. Will pay Richer Sound a visit in the morning. I understand the process is they send away to CA and should lend me something in the interim. Shame was hoping for a straight swap for an Arcam rPAC.

BluePotato said:
Well.... Plugged the headphones in and still a problem so it's either the DACMagic, or the amp (I've ruled out airport express as unplugging the optical into the DAC makes no difference). Switch off the DACMagic and there is no crackle so suggests its the DAC Magic (which was ex demo).

Still under guarantee at least. Will pay Richer Sound a visit in the morning. I understand the process is they send away to CA and should lend me something in the interim. Shame was hoping for a straight swap for an Arcam rPAC.

Well?...

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well... Paid Richer Sounds a visit. Assistant disappears into the back to test the DACMagic. Comes back to shop to call me through after a couple of minutes, has music playing through the DAC Magic and can't tell what the problem is. I told him to stop playing the music and sure enough the interference was there.

So, DacMagic sent off, unfortunately they would only lend me a DACMAgic 100 which from what I can tell is a lesser spec that the original DAC Magic (only 1 internal DAC rather than 2 for a start). Nonetheless at least I have something.

Back home, plugged in and yes, far better. Would like to hear a higher end DAC as feel I'm probably not squeezing everything out of the Spendors at the moment and the amp is still breaking in. Would say Spendors to my ear are very smooth and musical, seem to hit the lows, mid and highs nicely and it's all balanced. Would be interesting to hear those CM8's again, in theory the Spendors should be better surely? I think overall they probably are, still think there was a bit more 'zing' from the B&W. Anyway, I have until Weds to make my mind up whether to keep.

A lot happier now - even the OH (who was first to notice the crackling sound I'm ashamed to say!) is starting to 'get it'.

Good stuff. Have to say that the Pulse, as much as anything, will benefit from a much better source. As good as the DacMagic is - and the Arcam rDac - you really need to listen to something, Dac-wise, in the region of Rega as minimum.

My Arcam CDP is beautifully balanced, when I had the Apollo on home dem there was a marked uplift in performance over the Arcam. However, the RS6s were starting to show deficiencies with extra detail the Rega was pumping out. So once I've got the Totems I'll be searching for a Rega Saturn or Arcam FMJ CD37.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
PP - I've noticed the speakers start to come to life more once I get the dial circa midway through the 2nd notch. Below that they lack a bit of sparkle. The first mini notch on the 3rd level is about as high as I'd go whilst the neighbours are in (pretty sure they will hear that). Do all speakers show more life the louder they get?

How does that compare with how your Leema listening levels? Should I expect more as the amp wears in? (probably only on 10-15hours so far).

Point taken re the DAC - budget constraints in place though if I keep this Spendors.

BluePotato said:
PP - I've noticed the speakers start to come to life more once I get the dial circa midway through the 2nd notch. Below that they lack a bit of sparkle. The first mini notch on the 3rd level is about as high as I'd go whilst the neighbours are in (pretty sure they will hear that). Do all speakers show more life the louder they get?

How does that compare with how your Leema listening levels? Should I expect more as the amp wears in? (probably only on 10-15hours so far).

Point taken re the DAC - budget constraints in place though if I keep this Spendors.

Firstly, when I heard the Pulse with Spendor SA-1s they pretty much needed a bit more of a 'crank-up' than the MAs. This is purely because the MAs are very easy to drive @ 91db into 8 ohms. Whereas the Spendors are around 85/86 db, which impacts a little when playing low volumes.

Second, all speakers sound better when pushed, approx 10-11 o'clock on the volume dial is ideal, hence why I usually say MAs or Focals or speakers with similar impedence and/or db if you play at quieter levels. However, what you are experiencing is a truer representation of how a speaker and amp interacts: Flat across all frequencies. By that I mean that no part of the frequency is prominent than another. Unlike my MAs, at low level the bass, even though quiet, growls away above the treble and midrange. (Hope that's clearer than mud :wall: ).

As regards the Pulse burning in, this is a strange one. My Pulse was still factory sealed but when I switched it on it sounded amazing, unlike many other amps that take an age to burn in. Anyway, after about a month *and playing favoured CDs * I noticed that I was hearing something different every time the same cds was played. Thought it was just me, and didn't give it a second thought. It was only after Mrs. P kept saying something to the tune of: "did you hear that?" or "Is someone tapping on the kitchen window?" It was very slow and insideous but bit by bit the Pulse didn't find its feet fully for about a month or so.

The reason why I recommended the A5s is based around my experience with the SA-1s. Lovely speakers but didn't have the extended bass of a floorstander, something I expected the A5s to have.

I'm pretty envious you have those speakers.

Cerrtainly with a much better source the Pulse becomes more expressive.

Think I covered your questions. I'll go and have a lay down now. :p Phew!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Spendor A5 ...... they have the same dimensions as my speakers 80x17x30 o/h friendly dimensions...lol. They've hiked the price up on them by quite a bit over the years by about 500pounds.

one question though, are you using a cd player and then going through this DAC magic into your amp, if so why?

or is it a pc you are using for source. I have no idea how these DAC things work.....lol

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Second, all speakers sound better when pushed, approx 10-11 o'clock on the volume dial is ideal, hence why I usually say MAs or Focals or speakers with similar impedence and/or db if you play at quieter levels. However, what you are experiencing is a truer representation of how a speaker and amp interacts: Flat across all frequencies. By that I mean that no part of the frequency is prominent than another. Unlike my MAs, at low level the bass, even though quiet, growls away above the treble and midrange. (Hope that's clearer than mud :wall: ).

Strange, I only ever really got to listen to my MAs at low levels and that wasn't a problem I experienced with an A85 on the end of them.

Also, to pick up on your earlier point about sources, I've used a varierty of DACs and CD players which would all be considered to be of a higher standard than the CD73, and the RS6s just kept getting better. Shows how important synergy/room interaction is, I guess!

bigblue235 said:
plastic penguin said:

Strange, I only ever really got to listen to my MAs at low levels and that wasn't a problem I experienced with an A85 on the end of them.

Also, to pick up on your earlier point about sources, I've used a varierty of DACs and CD players which would all be considered to be of a higher standard than the CD73, and the RS6s just kept getting better. Shows how important synergy/room interaction is, I guess!

Never said it was a problem. And I was talking comparatively MAs up against a much better quality floorstander.

The second point is the amp. I really like the A85 a lot but the Leema, IMO, lends itself to higher quality speakers and source. The Difference between the Rega and the CD73 wasn't night and day, but noticable.

The most important thing is that no component, regardless of price or quality, is flawless. It's more about which compromise you can happily live with...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The second point is the amp. I really like the A85 a lot but the Leema, IMO, lends itself to higher quality speakers and source. The Difference between the Rega and the CD73 wasn't night and day, but noticable.

Interesting, why do you think that? Aren't the Leema and Arcam are in much the same class? I didn't think there was much between them and I preferred the Arcam, but that was just my preference. I remember at the time when I considered the Leema (when the cheaper ones first started floating about) one review said it was bassy, the other said it was bass light, which rather put me off!

Likewise with DACs, I don't really hear the massive differences between them that others seem to. There are loads of people out there who think the Dacmagic is a fantastic DAC, as good as anything out there at a reasonable price. The Rega has its fans, as do the rDac, MDac and others. Then there are others who don't hear much difference between them, me being one of them. I don't hear much difference between a £200 and £2000 DAC. I can hear things getting better, obviously, but not in the same way as spending more money on speakers.

I'm not one of these 'they all sound the same' folk, but having recently been auditioning kit again, I personally think the speakers are far more important than the AMP/source. I'd now rather use a streamers built-in DAC and spend the change on the speakers, but I'm sure everyone perceives these things differently!

bigblue235 said:

Interesting, why do you think that? Aren't the Leema and Arcam are in much the same class? I didn't think there was much between them and I preferred the Arcam, but that was just my preference. I remember at the time when I considered the Leema (when the cheaper ones first started floating about) one review said it was bassy, the other said it was bass light, which rather put me off!

Likewise with DACs, I don't really hear the massive differences between them that others seem to. There are loads of people out there who think the Dacmagic is a fantastic DAC, as good as anything out there at a reasonable price. The Rega has its fans, as do the rDac, MDac and others. Then there are others who don't hear much difference between them, me being one of them. I don't hear much difference between a £200 and £2000 DAC. I can hear things getting better, obviously, but not in the same way as spending more money on speakers.

I'm not one of these 'they all sound the same' folk, but having recently been auditioning kit again, I personally think the speakers are far more important than the AMP/source. I'd now rather use a streamers built-in DAC and spend the change on the speakers, but I'm sure everyone perceives these things differently!

No - I've heard the A85 a number of times over the years and it's a very good amp. I've always loved Arcam stuff and that won't change just because I have a Leema. I would say the FMJ A32 or A38 is nearer to the Leema than the A85.

Also the A85 is a £800 amp from around 2001/2002, whereas the Leema is a £1250-£1300 amp from 2008. Not huge I concede, but the shear realism from Leema is pretty staggering for the price. You can really see where the extra money has been spent. It's far from perfect, though. Ideally would like a slightly richer midrange, and if I had small standmounted speakers would yearn for a little more bass extension.

After hearing the amp with Spendors, MA gold, PMC and Totem the Pulse really does thrive on better equipment than I own. That said, the RS6 aren't a let down. On the contrary, in isolation, it sounds pretty impressive; only when you compare with much better speakers you go: "Okay, right." Likewise with the Rega CDP it sounded more open and detailed; the bass was taut, however, the extra detail and upper midrange thrust just provoked the RSs tweeter, just beyond what I deem as comfortable, certainly on a long session. The Arcam CDP, although well balanced, in comparison with the Rega, slightly rolls off the top-end thus giving the overall presentation a slightly smoother presentaion.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
No - I've heard the A85 a number of times over the years and it's a very good amp. I've always loved Arcam stuff and that won't change just because I have a Leema. I would say the FMJ A32 or A38 is nearer to the Leema than the A85.

Also the A85 is a £800 amp from around 2001/2002, whereas the Leema is a £1250-£1300 amp from 2008. Not huge I concede, but the shear realism from Leema is pretty staggering for the price. You can really see where the extra money has been spent. It's far from perfect, though. Ideally would like a slightly richer midrange, and if I had small standmounted speakers would yearn for a little more bass extension.

After hearing the amp with Spendors, MA gold, PMC and Totem the Pulse really does thrive on better equipment than I own. That said, the RS6 aren't a let down. On the contrary, in isolation, it sounds pretty impressive; only when you compare with much better speakers you go: "Okay, right." Likewise with the Rega CDP it sounded more open and detailed; the bass was taut, however, the extra detail and upper midrange thrust just provoked the RSs tweeter, just beyond what I deem as comfortable, certainly on a long session. The Arcam CDP, although well balanced, in comparison with the Rega, slightly rolls off the top-end thus giving the overall presentation a slightly smoother presentaion.

Interesting, cheers for the response!

Regarding the section in bold, I think it's hard to compare them the way we're attempting to do given the differing times when they launched. What I was getting as was that I imagine the A85 and Leema are in a similar class as I feel they would probably be comparable prices if they were on the market together. Wasn't the A32 just an A85 in a fancy jacket? (I know, I know!) And I'd take an A38 over the Leema, but each to their own :)

Regarding the sources, as I used mine with a CD192, I don't think there really was a better match. But even then, the difference between the 192 and an Apple TV was so slight that I won't mind getting rid of the player and putting the money to the speaker fund. It might niggle me giving up a little performance from the source, but I'll gain a fair bit on the speakers.

The RS6 is definitely a decent speaker. I've also heard better, but I'm struggling to replace them with something noticeably better for my £1000 budget. Which is a pain, especially when they're only being changed for aesthetic reasons! If I get £350 for the CD player then I can look at £1350 speakers, and with the VAT off maybe £1500 speakers, so hopefully I'll find something worthy of the dosh.

If only I could see a review of XTZ 99.36 (hint, cough, pleeeeease?!) as I'd be a little happier buying blind, otherwise I'll need to wait 'til September to hear them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts