Kef LS50 - finally...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The "rose gold" was for the 50th anniversary.

Current finishes available according to KEF's website today ...

24249856753_fce5961925.jpg

The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
Umm...erm... let's say they look different. Not sure who colour co-ordinated the drivers, but I'd advise them to look for alternative employment: White cabinets and blue drivers.They look like a frozen inverted nipple.

LS50 score 4/10

TB2i 7/10

I'm sure you don't need telling other colours are available right?

Right. Still an odd looking design.

Ajani said:
DocG said:
Esra said:
I have written many times.Pair Ls50 with Hpex amps like NC400/NC500 and a DAC/Pre of your choice(all to get for reasonable money) or if you have deeper pockets go for a Devialet 120 and you will have a cracking system that punches well above its pricetag.It won´t get better with LS50,believe me I demoed these speakers with a lot of amps reaching from budget to very expensive ones.The Dev 120 is a nice machine to show what LS50 are capable to do.The Dev 200 is even better at this but expensive,so I highly recommend first option with Hypex.

+1 for Devialet & LS50. I'm still very happy with the combo (SAM engaged), and I came to the same conclusion: if anything a more powerful Dev would make it even better, especially when you want to crank it up a little.

The Ncore & LS50 looks like an intriguing combination too. Might give it a try when I finish my NC400 project...

Devialet & LS50 is the kind of combo I'd love to audition. Both measure exceptionally well.

Sure it is a good match. Non-applicable as far as I'm concerned. The Leema is going nowhere anytime soon.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
DocG said:
The Ncore & LS50 looks like an intriguing combination too. Might give it a try when I finish my NC400 project...

I am very curious about your opinion when you have your hands on them.I would expect you either to change to Hypex and maybe upgrading your speakers better than LS50 or to go for Dev200 combining the best of both (Look/Power/Sound).

The plan is to keep the D120+LS50 (in our upstairs system), and use the Ncores (4 x NC400) to actively drive a pair of Maggie MMGs, with a Rythmik sub and a DEQX processor (for the living room).

But I might try Ncore + LS50, just out of curiosity...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Thanks for the review. Very interesting indeed.

you now have made things complicated for me, for my next speaker upgrade i was thinking of getting a pair of used 805d, now i am thinking 805d or reference 1? 
I was very impressed by the Kef Reference 1s....they are like LS50s after a body building course!....phenomenally clean and detailed, but without becoming analytical.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Esra said:
@Ajani

do it but be prepared to want it.Imo.it sounds better than Dev. own phantoms except bass.It´s a honest but at the same time involving sound.

I want it now and I haven't even heard it.... *biggrin*

In fairness to the phantom, the LS50/120 combo is double the price of the Phantoms (at least in the US). So it would be really bad if the Phantoms were just as good or, worse yet, better.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Matt black with blue driver looks cool
The colour I'm using. I was going to swap out the blue driver for the black driver seeing as I'm using them in a darkened room for home cinema, but decided the blue was dark enough as I don't see them with the lights off.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:

you now have made things complicated for me, for my next speaker upgrade i was thinking of getting a pair of used 805d, now i am thinking 805d or reference 1?
Two excellent standmount speakers, both of which I would probably take over virtually any floorstander at the price.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Its design is functional though, and I think a lot of people overlook that. Most speakers are designed with an easy to manufacture, flat front panel, which has its issues. A curved front panel is pretty rare at this price point, and is the only speaker in KEF's line up other than the Blades to have this feature.

Animesh Ghose said:

One lesson I've learnt, Animesh, is to buy a speaker suited to your room size rather than just purchase on reputation. I know it's poke-in-eye obvious but the tweaks don't just start and stop with accessories. As I'm not familiar with your room I couldn't comment on the above speakers.

David@FrankHarvey said:
plastic penguin said:
Its design is functional though, and I think a lot of people overlook that. Most speakers are designed with an easy to manufacture, flat front panel, which has its issues. A curved front panel is pretty rare at this price point, and is the only speaker in KEF's line up other than the Blades to have this feature.

They still divide opinion, and probably why the design is pretty rare. After spending a day and a half with them I still don't know what to make of the design - is it unique or odd?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Animesh Ghose said:

One lesson I've learnt, Animesh, is to buy a speaker suited to your room size rather than just purchase on reputation. I know it's poke-in-eye obvious but the tweaks don't just start and stop with accessories. As I'm not familiar with your room I couldn't comment on the above speakers.

quite right.

as i have a dedicated music room i had to pick the smaller one so in terms of size its about 10feet by 12 with hardwood flooring. Also Have a quite a few percussion instruments in the room, mainly tablas (indian drums) i do cover with pillows when i am in for a long listening session.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts