Best Floorstanders under £1000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
BluePotato said:
First demo session booked for tomorrow at Superfi. Will be taking a long lunch to test out what they have in store. Taking my Leema amp in to so not whilst not worn in yet very exciting to hear how it sings.

Ill be compiling a CD of suitable tunes after the footy has finished. Local Superfi don't have a massive selection but I noticed:

B&W CM8

B&W 684

Monitor Audio BX5

monitor Audio RX8

Its a start! Will post back with the findings. Need to see what Sevenoaks have to offer next.

Looking at your speaker list, do you have the DacMagic? If so you may find it a little clinical with MAs. With the right source the Leema will make the MAs sing. Try and take some cds and ask the shop to plug a Arcam CDP or rDac and compare the difference.

Good luck with the dem.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Demo no 1 completed yesterday. Took my new Leema amp in (not yet burnt in) and Superfi connected an Roksan CD player. Worked my way up through the price range in the order below then back down over a couple of hours with a couple of friends (both have hi-fiseperates and looking to upgrade themselves) and a very helpful assistant. Honest thoughts below:

Monitor Audio BX6 - sounded decent enough as a kick off - I'm not great with the terminology of how to describe the 'sound'. Didn't excite me particularly is as much as I would say, sound was 'thin. At lower listening volumes I felt the bass really dropped off.

B&W 684 - instantly felt a big jump from the MA's - really felt the B&W's brought the music to life and instantly appealed to the point that I felt I would discount the BX6's. Played a few more songs - yep, very happy. Only negative was similar to the BX6's, felt the bass really dropped off at lower volumes and some loss of clarity meaning just not as exciting a listen.

monitor Audio RX8 - initial thoughts with the RX8's was, yep, another step up here, nice. Interestingly though the longer we listened the less keen we were, coming back to these from the CM8's the sound from these felt 'thin' (my terms) - 1 friend said 'plasticky' and 'cheap' sound (in comparison to CM8's). Shop assistant thought touch 'bright'. Loved the cabinets though, might have even preferred to the CM8's - smaller too.

B&W CM8 - unanimous thoughts across all of us (very quickly) was big jump up again - £400 more expensive so maybe this was to be expected? Music felt 'alive' again - more punch than the 684's (although 684's at a decent volume not a million miles off). At lower volumes felt like an appropriate level of bass was retained. Outright winners here. I went back to the 684's after and back to the RX8's - RX8 again sounded a 'thinner' sound - not as much zing - dryer somehow.

So now it's whether can justify the additional cost and wait (for Superfi to reduce to £1050 in a sale). I'm planning on checking out Seveoaks at the weekend to see what they have to offer and hopefully get a listening test in. As mentioned, my amp isn't worn in by any stretch yet and I suppose the argument is that all the above would sound quite different in my dining room, different dimensions, acoustics, supporting kit etc but one thing at least, they were tested against each other in a consistent environment. Only real conclusion I did draw is by far preferred the B&W 'sound' to the MA - 4 of us in the room and we were all completely in agreement with that one (for this set up). A little gutted - had the RX8's blown me away I might have just gone for them there and then as the price sits more comfortably.

Were the CM8's worth double the 684's - not for me, but if I could get them for £1050 I think I would have to. If I get the 684's I'm likely to wonder what each song 'could' have sounded like. How true I'm not sure but the assistant suggested the 684's were a bit of a dis-service to the Leema Pulse and I should be looking more CM8 range (argument is that she would say that but to be fair she has been excellent in her advice so far).

For the record I don't think speaker cable and interconnects were the absolute best by any stretch - didn't catch the names - speaker cable approx £3 a metre - good stuff apparently but I'd expect to be getting something a notch or 2 up.

Interesting post. I think it is you may prefer tthe B&W sound rather than MA. Can't comment on B&W/Leema, but can see where the (shop) assistant is coming from. There is a sizable jump up in SQ when I heard the Totems with the Leema.

Also might be worth having a home dem, as shop and home dems do vary a lot. Generally dealers don't have the greatest room acoustics, which is understandable. They can't cater all needs.

BTW, yes the Leema will take a little time to bed in.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Was recently looking at similar speaker choices to yourself and auditoned the models you have just compared and many others although for a different amp but your amp is a cracker and I would suggest you try and listen to more than just B&w and MA.

I felt the same about the four you have auditioned and was leaning to the cm 8's but i found on busy or fast bits of music the midrange lost a bit of control.This may have been the caspian/cm8 pairing but did not notice this with spendor . audio vector, pmc or proac and as has been suggested by a pulse owner totem.
I like B&W and have some here but I felt if I was spending a large some of money I wanted to be sure had got the choice right, sometimes it becomes more confusing but I knew when I heard the right ones for me, not the best I heard but right for me.

I know these may be over budget new but would you consider used/ex demo or do you have other dealers who can play you different makes just to be sure.

Have fun, good luck and most importantly enjoy

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Shankar.

I'm keen to try Spendor A3/A5 - they would have to be 2nd hand if they are the ones though. I also want to check out the Tannoy DC6t's - cheap at £599 but what hifi suggest effectively a £1400 speaker so might be able to complete - jackpot if they do.

We have a sevenoaks I can get to - bit of a trek but will try book some time with them at the weekend as I believe they stock the above

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Rega RS3 or R7 S/H would be a good choice.

Do they have to be floorstanders though? Any reason?

You could get some S/H Spendor SA1 which would do very well at low volumes and soundstage, great fit and finish as well.

BluePotato said:
Thanks Shankar.

I'm keen to try Spendor A3/A5 - they would have to be 2nd hand if they are the ones though. I also want to check out the Tannoy DC6t's - cheap at £599 but what hifi suggest effectively a £1400 speaker so might be able to complete - jackpot if they do.

We have a sevenoaks I can get to - bit of a trek but will try book some time with them at the weekend as I believe they stock the above

Can I just say that the MAs weren't my first choice with the Leema. They are just a 'make do' speaker until I can afford something better. With the benefit of hindsight I wished I'd not purchased them - previously using my old Wharfedales (these MAs are my second pair) - and held back a couple of months longer: I would have a nice pair of shiney PMCs or Totems by now.

An interesting thread, BP, and I liked your 'review'. No need to worry about terminology; it is too easy to get sucked into terms that are needlessly obscure.

I'd still be torn between floorstanders and good standmounts with dedicated stands. Do try to hear some. In another recent thread, someone mentioned run-out PMCs of the old range, with £hundreds off. This is often where the real bargains are.

As someone else else said, do enjoy the investigating. If you start to feel under pressure when you decide you'll make the 'wrong' choice. A bit like partners and homes, you will know it when you find the right pair/one!

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
PP - had no luck finding anyone stocking Totem so far. Seveoaks suggested PMC's too so I'll check them hopefully this weekend. I'm not taking the DacMagic to the demo - just a CD and using their kit. Not a perfect test I understand but as long as it's consistent I don't suppose I can get the perfect test without getting a home demo.

Do you think the fact my Leema isn't run in is a concern? It's been suggested I'd only need to do another set of demo's once it is - chicken and egg that one as I can't run it in til I buy a speaker.

In terms of floorstanders over standmounts there are 2 reasons. 1 is prefer the looks (I could go with either but OH is not keen on standmount look) and 2 is the stands are expensive so I tend to use the logic that money is better invested in the speaker.

Rega - heard nothing but good about the RS3 and price wise they hit the mark - if they can compete with the sound of the CM8 and I can find a stockist would definitely check them out.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
anyone know what the 'old' PMC range is? Never heard of the make til a couple of days ago - all for a bargain though - that's how ended up getting the Leema over a Roksan Kandy (thanks to PP)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Def take your amp to the demo as speaker/amp matching essential, with regards to PMC if you can listen to gb1i they might match your amp nicely and do come up on ebay within budget.
I came very close to getting some but I like my listening bass heavy but thought these had a lovely sound very articulate and I much prefered to cm8's but that is only my opinion.

The newer twenty series are fabulous but will be way over but worth a listen if you have time.

I have not heard the older gb1 speaker but if you are interested I am sure someone will have a view on them.

I have not heard the Tannoys but they could be fabulous, I wouldn't discount them on their price,they could be what you are looking for then you have more cash to spend on something else.

Looking forward to your review,s , have fun.

A

Anonymous

BluePotato said:
Rega - heard nothing but good about the RS3 and price wise they hit the mark - if they can compete with the sound of the CM8 and I can find a stockist would definitely check them out.

There are some of course who are not very keen but I'm a happy boy with the RS3s and my Rega kit, no idea how would perform with a Leema but should be very good I think. Audio-T will stock if you have one near you. Infidelity in Kingston are good too and stock them. A very good shop should let you try a home demo.

Enjoy the hunt.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know much of Spendor A5? Could get a 2nd hand pair (starting think 2nd hand with remaining warranty could be key to bargain) for around the £1000 mark. On paper they look a step up from the CM8.

BluePotato said:
anyone know what the 'old' PMC range is? Never heard of the make til a couple of days ago - all for a bargain though - that's how ended up getting the Leema over a Roksan Kandy (thanks to PP)

Take a look here:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/category/Speakers/1765.0.4.3.1002779.40360.0.0.0

Also thanks to PP as it was his post here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speaker-advice-please-help

that I remembered.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
BluePotato said:
Anyone know much of Spendor A5? Could get a 2nd hand pair (starting think 2nd hand with remaining warranty could be key to bargain) for around the £1000 mark. On paper they look a step up from the CM8.

I bought my A5s nearly new on eBay for £999. Very pleased! I was stunned when a pair of A6s went for £850 not so many weeks ago. I went for Spendors because I had a spraying cat that would have done cosmetic damage to any speaker with foam filled, front facing, low level port. Sadly Pippin is no more. :-(

BluePotato said:

The 'i' range was introduced in about 2008, replacing the + versions. I've heard the DB1i twice with the Leema and very good sounding. The DB1s are standmount version of the GB1i. Have heard the original GB1s but not with the Leema.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You wouldn`t go wrong with any of the PMC`s suggested above, I think ...Especially in terms of details at low volumes. Very informative speakers, indeed...

I agree with you about the CM8 - they certainly look the deal, but how about what David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi suggested. If you could stretch your budget a bit and be lucky enough to get a deal on the KEF - R500 - fantastic speakers. Just look at them ...

BTW, I have the same amp driving my Mezzo 6 and I think it does the job superbly. I don`t think the Mezzo 6`s get the credit they deserve,really... I do not know why...Beautifully musical , with a very decent bass and a lovely, lovely tweeter ... The Leema+Mezzo 6 combo works great for me. And the wife was the one choosing the design, having to choose between 3 others :) Ok, she liked them in walnut, and we ended up with blacks, but anyway... At £ 649 currently, with free delivery, 60 -days Home Audition and free collection thereafter ( check their web-site ) - you can`t go wrong with that, either :)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rodd said:
IF you like the CM8s and looking for great voicing and soundstage why not give the CM1s a try. I auditioned them both alongside the Rx2 and bx5 and found their performance better than these and anything else under £500. The CM1s and 8s are voiced the same except for the Cm8 obviously looking and sounding bigger, but the CM1 does produce fantastic bass for their size. If massive bass isn't that important then I would definitely be looking at the cm1.

This makes a lot of sense, with their dedicated stands it works out a cheaper alternative. ;)

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Defo check out the Rega RS5's.

I have the RS3's and love them, but that is with a Rega amp. Might be different with Leema amplification.

Worth a gander though.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Fancied hearing those spendors. No stockist locally tho. Can't help but think for £999 ex demo there are a cracking deal but might have to let them go.

Atanakta - great idea re the mezzo 6. Not heard them before but they are a price I'd be happy with. Think I might do this 60 day trial thing. Nothing to lose it seems??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts