Accuphase near London

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm keen to hear one of the Accuphase integrated amps (E260, E360, or the '50 models), but it seems there are none available to demo at dealerships within a reasonable distance of London. The closest dealer that has one is in Cheadle. The UK distributor, RTS, hasn't been able to help. Do any forumites know otherwise? Or are there any Accuphase owners here who live in/near London and would be willing to open their doors to me?

Matt

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Accuphase makes some of best sounding integrated amps on the market, unfortunately I can only get one from Japan. They are warm sounding overall.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Mac,

thanks very much. Unfortunately Audioconsultants aren't stocking Accuphase any longer. Nice chap though!

It's very generous of you to offer to demo your E350 for me. If I give you my email address could you drop me a line? It's sttt3339ATkcl.ac.uk.

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Mac,

thanks very much. Unfortunately Audioconsultants aren't stocking Accuphase any longer. Nice chap though!

It's very generous of you to offer to demo your E350 for me. If I give you my email address could you drop me a line? It's sttt3339ATkcl.ac.uk.

Matt

That's a pity.

Email sent.

Mac

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Matt, I hope you can share your impressions of whatever Accuphase amps you manage to have a listen to.

Mac, how are you finding your 350 now that you've lived with it for a while? I'm getting tempted by a 2nd hand one at my local 2nd hand HiFi dealer. I will, of course, auditio before selling my current all in one and switching to a streamer and more serious amp. It's a pity they're so pricey outside Japan. I think the 360 is probably around the equivalent of 3000 pounds new and a 2nd hand 350 can be picked up for like 1500 pounds.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
Matt, I hope you can share your impressions of whatever Accuphase amps you manage to have a listen to.

Mac, how are you finding your 350 now that you've lived with it for a while? I'm getting tempted by a 2nd hand one at my local 2nd hand HiFi dealer. I will, of course, auditio before selling my current all in one and switching to a streamer and more serious amp. It's a pity they're so pricey outside Japan. I think the 360 is probably around the equivalent of 3000 pounds new and a 2nd hand 350 can be picked up for like 1500 pounds.

Hi ID

Unfortunately, in the UK you can double that price for a brand new E360 and my second hand E350 was 3K... fortunately I received a good price for the Sugden, so it didn't cost me that much.

They are crazy prices, but imo well worth it and if I could afford

to buy new, I would.

From the first, I loved the E350 and my opinion still hasn't changed!

It is a superbly well machined piece of kit, with great versatility. Sounding equaly as good with Rock, Jazz, Classicle

and acoustic.

It really has brought out the best of the Harbeths, I am now at last hearing their true potential.

When the time comes and hopefully it won't be for a long time yet and the E350 goes to amplifier heaven, funds permitting, it will be another Accuphase for me.

Mac

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
ID. said:

Hi ID

Unfortunately, in the UK you can double that price for a brand new E360 and my second hand E350 was 3K... fortunately I received a good price for the Sugden, so it didn't cost me that much.

to buy new, I would.

It is a superbly well machined piece of kit, with great versatility. Sounding equaly as good with Rock, Jazz, Classicle

and acoustic.

It really has brought out the best of the Harbeths, I am now at last hearing their true potential.

When the time comes and hopefully it won't be for a long time yet and the E350 goes to amplifier heaven, funds permitting, it will be another Accuphase for me.

Mac

Hi guys,

Totally understand what you mean about Accuphase electronics.

Really blown away with how great a high-end Accuphase set-up sounded when paired with some ribbon-tweetered Verity Audio Sarastro II's in Bangkok last year.

Now i know exactly what sound i should be striving for: ie. airy, detailed, dynamic, extended, full-bodied, non-fatiguing, open, rounded & leaning to the warm side.

Touch wood, i'm hoping to acquire a DP-800/DC-801 MDSD CD/SACD Transport & DAC within the next few weeks.

Regards.

Babur.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
ID. said:

Hi ID

to buy new, I would.

and acoustic.

Mac

Hi guys, Totally understand what you mean about Accuphase electronics. Really blown away with how great a high-end Accuphase set-up sounded when paired with some ribbon-tweetered Verity Audio Sarastro II's in Bangkok last year. Now i know exactly what sound i should be striving for: ie. airy, detailed, dynamic, extended, full-bodied, non-fatiguing, open, rounded & leaning to the warm side. Touch wood, i'm hoping to acquire a DP-800/DC-801 MDSD CD/SACD Transport & DAC within the next few weeks. Regards. Babur.

Hi Babur,

You've described Accuphase amplification precisely.

Have you already heard the DAC/transport combo?... I would be keen to know your thoughts.

Mac

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
ID. said:

Hi ID

to buy new, I would.

and acoustic.

Mac

Hi guys, Totally understand what you mean about Accuphase electronics. Really blown away with how great a high-end Accuphase set-up sounded when paired with some ribbon-tweetered Verity Audio Sarastro II's in Bangkok last year. Now i know exactly what sound i should be striving for: ie. airy, detailed, dynamic, extended, full-bodied, non-fatiguing, open, rounded & leaning to the warm side. Touch wood, i'm hoping to acquire a DP-800/DC-801 MDSD CD/SACD Transport & DAC within the next few weeks. Regards. Babur.

Hi Babur,

Have you already heard the DAC/transport combo?... I would be keen to know your thoughts.

Mac

Hi Mac,

Haven't heard an Accuphase Transport & DAC before, but i did have the opportunity to hear the Accuphase DP-600 not too long ago.

Have a modified Esoteric SA-50 for 2-channel duties at the moment. The higher-end Esoteric players are definitely among the best digital front-ends around for bass articulation, cohererency, detail, dynamics, & upper frequency extension but, perhaps due to my advancing years & maturing tastes, i know now that i should be aiming for a more airy, less forward, more open, more organic, more relaxed, silkier, a bit smoother & slightly warmer presentation.

Of the manufacturers digital players & amplifiers i've had the opportunity to hear only Accuphase, Luxman, (to a degree)McIntosh, Pass Labs/First Watt & Sugden have come the closest to this ideal.

I'll let you know how i get on with the Accuphase DP-800/DC-801.

Regards.

Babur.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Babur72 said:
.......perhaps due to my advancing years & maturing tastes, i know now that i should be aiming for a more airy, less forward, more open, more organic, more relaxed, silkier, a bit smoother & slightly warmer presentation. Of the manufacturers digital players & amplifiers i've had the opportunity to hear only Accuphase, Luxman, (to a degree)McIntosh, Pass Labs/First Watt & Sugden have come the closest to this ideal. I'll let you know how i get on with the Accuphase DP-800/DC-801. Regards. Babur.

There are a few on here that are very much in that camp (though i would of course add the MF AMS 35i to your amp list. :shifty: )

Reactions: Babur72

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
ID. said:

Hi ID

to buy new, I would.

and acoustic.

Mac

Hi Babur,

Mac

Hi Mac, Haven't heard an Accuphase Transport & DAC before, but i did have the opportunity to hear the Accuphase DP-600 not too long ago. Have a modified Esoteric SA-50 for 2-channel duties at the moment. The higher-end Esoteric players are definitely among the best digital front-ends around for bass articulation, cohererency, detail, dynamics, & upper frequency extension but, perhaps due to my advancing years & maturing tastes, i know now that i should be aiming for a more airy, less forward, more open, more organic, more relaxed, silkier, a bit smoother & slightly warmer presentation. Of the manufacturers digital players & amplifiers i've had the opportunity to hear only Accuphase, Luxman, (to a degree)McIntosh, Pass Labs/First Watt & Sugden have come the closest to this ideal. I'll let you know how i get on with the Accuphase DP-800/DC-801. Regards. Babur.

Babur, I'd be surprised if you fail to be impressed by that combo.

When I was in the hunt for a new CDP, I did try an Esoteric SA60 and unfortunately, it really didn't suit my set up... I also tried the likes of Wadia, Audio Research, Krell and Sugden and the latter was the only one that came close to the one I settled on, the EMC1UP... if it's possible try and have a listen to one yourself.

Mac

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Another Accuphase user here - I fully endorse Mac's and Babur72's observations about the Accuphase sound. There's a musicality which sets it apart from most - though not all - brands.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Another Accuphase user here - I fully endorse Mac's and Babur72's observations about the Accuphase sound. There's a musicality which sets it apart from most - though not all - brands.

Any news on the Harbeths Singslinger?

Mac

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
Babur72 said:
Macspur said:
ID. said:

Hi ID

to buy new, I would.

and acoustic.

Mac

Hi Babur,

Mac

Hi Mac, Haven't heard an Accuphase Transport & DAC before, but i did have the opportunity to hear the Accuphase DP-600 not too long ago. Have a modified Esoteric SA-50 for 2-channel duties at the moment. The higher-end Esoteric players are definitely among the best digital front-ends around for bass articulation, cohererency, detail, dynamics, & upper frequency extension but, perhaps due to my advancing years & maturing tastes, i know now that i should be aiming for a more airy, less forward, more open, more organic, more relaxed, silkier, a bit smoother & slightly warmer presentation. Of the manufacturers digital players & amplifiers i've had the opportunity to hear only Accuphase, Luxman, (to a degree)McIntosh, Pass Labs/First Watt & Sugden have come the closest to this ideal. I'll let you know how i get on with the Accuphase DP-800/DC-801. Regards. Babur.

Babur, I'd be surprised if you fail to be impressed by that combo.

When I was in the hunt for a new CDP, I did try an Esoteric SA60 and unfortunately, it really didn't suit my set up... I also tried the likes of Wadia, Audio Research, Krell and Sugden and the latter was the only one that came close to the one I settled on, the EMC1UP... if it's possible try and have a listen to one yourself.

Mac

Hi Mac,

I've heard Electrocompaniet-based systems on a few occasions & was definitely impressed. As i recall the systems consisted of EMC-1UP, EC-4.8 pre-amp, AW-400 monoblock power-amps driving B&W802D, Focal Scala Utopia III, Vienna Acoustics' Beethoven Concert Grand & Vienna Acoustics' The Music.

I didn't choose an Electrocompaniet system because, particularly when partnered with the B&W's & Focals, i sensed they lacked the last few degrees of openness & a slightly dark character to their sound. Added to that SACD playback capability is a prerequisite. I also found Electrocompaniet's user-interface a bit quirky, occasionally sluggish & less than reliable. Finally, my requirements for a minimum of 3 balanced pairs of XLR inputs & at least 2 balanced pairs of XLR outputs meant i had to look elsewhere. But i still feel they punch well above their weight.

What are your thoughts about how well you feel the EMC-1UP has integrated with the rest of your system?

Regards.

Babur.

iceman16

I have not heard Electrocompaniet amp. But with regards to EMC 1UP, I have not felt any lack of openness. Compared to the Naim CDX2 I used to own which sound very detailed but in unnatural way, the EMC 1UP is far more easy to listen over a long period without fatigue. IMHO:)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Babur,

All I can say is, until I acquired the EMC1UP, I was really struggling to find a player with a warm presentation, but not at the expense of detail... it effortlessly manages to combine these two qualities, along with a rich textured almost valve like SQ.

The Electro is fully balanced and imo a perfect partner for the Accuphase, but to be honest, I think it would sound great in any set up.

Having said all that, I really would love to hear an Accuphase CDP now!

Mac

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Babur,

All I can say is, until I acquired the EMC1UP, I was really struggling to find a player with a warm presentation, but not at the expense of detail... it effortlessly manages to combine these two qualities, along with a rich textured almost valve like SQ.

The Electro is fully balanced and imo a perfect partner for the Accuphase, but to be honest, I think it would sound great in any set up.

Having said all that, I really would love to hear an Accuphase CDP now!

Mac

I bet you would... :) !

Regards.

Babur.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I have not heard Electrocompaniet amp. But with regards to EMC 1UP, I have not felt any lack of openness. Compared to the Naim CDX2 I used to own which sound very detailed but in unnatural way, the EMC 1UP is far more easy to listen over a long period without fatigue. IMHO:)

Yeah. Largely agree. Even driving the Beryllium or Diamond tweetered designs of B&W & Focal speakers - either one of which might over-emphasize the upper frequencies, especially when playing compressed & poor recordings - i never felt the Electrocompaniets could be considered fatiguing. Indeed. With the B&W802D's i ended up listening to them for a good 3 hours.

As i mentioned previously, with the B&W's & Focals(less so with Vienna Acoustics) speakers the sense of air & of space were to small degree diminished, when compared to say Luxman or Pass Labs amps.

Were it not for the fact that i required SACD playback capability, more balanced XLR inputs/outputs on my eventual pre-amp than Electrocompaniet offer currently & their push-button user-interface i could be satisfied using their amps as the basis of a system. But, as you say, it's very much a question of carefully selecting complementary components to ensure you achieve system synergy.

Regards.

Babur.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:

Any news on the Harbeths Singslinger?

Mac

Hi Mac, nothing yet. It seems the factory was snowed in, so everything's been delayed. It's going to be another 3-4 weeks before I know anything further as I'll be away on holiday for the next 3 weeks from tomorrow

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Accuphase!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts