Rotel phono

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi all. New to the forum, keen to dig into the archives and learn more - plus I wanted to ask for some advice. I’ve just bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo with standard 2M red cartridge and its being added to my old [but gold] basic setup.

I’m running everything through a Rotel RA-04 amp and B&W 685’s, with an old Macbook Pro for Spotify/other digital music coming into the amp via an SMSL SU1 DAC.

Still to sort a solution for coaxial or toslink CD playing (my original RCA equipped PS1 doesn't seem to want to read discs anymore!), but my question was around the phono stage in the Rotel. Do people think its going to be good enough to drive the PDCE or should I invest in a separate phono stage?

I listen to a lot of stuff: from electronica and soul to hip hop and funk. The room is pretty small but one day I do want to add some streaming ability to the rest of the house.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all. New to the forum, keen to dig into the archives and learn more - plus I wanted to ask for some advice. I’ve just bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo with standard 2M red cartridge and its being added to my old [but gold] basic setup.

I’m running everything through a Rotel RA-04 amp and B&W 685’s, with an old Macbook Pro for Spotify/other digital music coming into the amp via an SMSL SU1 DAC.

Still to sort a solution for coaxial or toslink CD playing (my original RCA equipped PS1 doesn't seem to want to read discs anymore!), but my question was around the phono stage in the Rotel. Do people think its going to be good enough to drive the PDCE or should I invest in a separate phono stage?

I listen to a lot of stuff: from electronica and soul to hip hop and funk. The room is pretty small but one day I do want to add some streaming ability to the rest of the house.

Thanks in advance!
The phono stages in amps of this age were usually very good.
I think you would need to spend a good bit of money on an external one to better it.
Try it and see what you think.
To my mind money might be better spent replacing the 2M red stylus with a Blue.

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it a listen - live with it for a while and also look into the blue stylus upgrade too; plus I've just been reading about power supply and platter changes you can make to the PDCE - what a rabbit hole!

Many thanks for the advice. I'll give it a listen - live with it for a while and also look into the blue stylus upgrade too; plus I've just been reading about power supply and platter changes you can make to the PDCE - what a rabbit hole!
ignore mostly. The most noticeable will always be a cartridge upgrade.
If a power supply is likely to get your turntable to spin at a more accurate speed or a platter is going to be a significant upgrade then you bought the wrong turntable..... :)

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I'm very pleased with the phono section on my Rotel A12, so fully endorse to try yours first and confidently.

Also, I run my Sony CA8ES through a toslink connection, but an Onkyo player through a coaxial; they both sound very nice to me. I have thought of experimenting, but very nice has been fully and thankfully satisfying for years.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, Rotel RA 04 was one of the best amps up to 400- 500 eur some 15 years ago. But MM phono in the is more basic. You got now a very solide Turntable/cartridge combination. Your Project is worth of e.g. Rega MM phono preamp or Rega Aria. Aria is realy good, I have used version MK1 for 10 years. It combines two circuits, one for MM and second for MC. You will have a lot of freedome, when selecting - upgrading cartridge. You may exchange your Rotel amp with Rega Brio 2016 ( last generation). This is better than Rotel and has awsome good phono inside.

Hi, Rotel RA 04 was one of the best amps up to 400- 500 eur some 15 years ago. But MM phono in the is more basic. You got now a very solide Turntable/cartridge combination. Your Project is worth of e.g. Rega MM phono preamp or Rega Aria. Aria is realy good, I have used version MK1 for 10 years. It combines two circuits, one for MM and second for MC. You will have a lot of freedome, when selecting - upgrading cartridge. You may exchange your Rotel amp with Rega Brio 2016 ( last generation). This is better than Rotel and has awsome good phono inside.
Obviously a Rega bot......

TRENDING THREADS