Will I over do it with 6mm cable wires?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
My question for you is will I over do it with 6mm speaker cable rather than 4mm or 2.5,or 1.5?

I will need 2.5 meters for this so will I do harm rather than optimise my sound production? Is thicker always better even at short lengths2-3meters)?

Your views please.

Thanks

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
L00k_C said:
My question for you is will I over do it with 6mm speaker cable rather than 4mm or 2.5,or 1.5?

I will need 2.5 meters for this so will I do harm rather than optimise my sound production? Is thicker always better even at short lengths2-3meters)?

Your views please.

Thanks
Sonically, thicker is always better. That being said, the differences over a short length in comparison to a 2.5mm sq cable will be negligible. Of more concern would be whether the cable will fit the binding posts or the banana plugs.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
L00k_C said:

Your views please.

Thanks
Sonically, thicker is always better. That being said, the differences over a short length in comparison to a 2.5mm sq cable will be negligible. Of more concern would be whether the cable will fit the binding posts or the banana plugs.

+1.

Get the thickest twisted multistrand wire cable that will fit into your connections and leave it at that. Mind you, what's on the other side of the binding posts is unlikely to be even 1.5mm.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:
Thicker cable equals more copper and more bass! So if you want more bass...

Sorry siuk but thats rubbish. Should we use 22mm copper pipe instead of cable. May need a GasSafe installer but at least plenty of copper there. And separate solid silver bars to increase treble in biamp mode. Hopefully u r not serious but just in case op is misled then wire is fine. Not fine wire tho. :)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Pooh pooh it as much as you like. I have always found that thicker stranded cable produces more bass...more copper therefore. Where you get off with your thick copper pipes I don't know. I was talking about speaker cables. Doh!

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't need a 'chill pill'. I was simply trying to alert the OP that there may be a downside to adding thicker cable in that I have found that thicker stranded cables can produce more bass...and the sound can be boomy, depending on your speakers.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Thin cables supplied with cheap mini systems aren't usually up to much but 16 gauge (1.3mm) copper is good enough for most use. 14 (2.1mm) or 12 gauge (3.3mm) thick cable will fulfil pretty much any domestic Hi-Fi application as well as any other cable up to lengths of 50 feet+ for an average 6-8ohm impedance speaker. Anything thicker doesn't really make a difference.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
AEJim - surely u have used 22mm copper.pipe - is that not.u use in yr top of the range units?

Me? Poopoo? Noonoo.

Tired of cable debates too but 'more copper = more bass' is simply too simplistic and.clearly not a recommendation for very thick copper cable. Do cable manufacturers claim anything of this kind?

Menopoopoo.. :)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
not a recommendation for very thick copper cable

Recommendation? What are you wittering on about? I didn't recommend it. Quite the opposite. Oversimplistic? Yes, guilty of that I agree.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
AEJim - surely u have used 22mm copper.pipe - is that not.u use in yr top of the range units?

Actually, in our top of the range drive units we use Aluminium cable! :D But alas, it's still very thin... People forget that for all the ups and downs of cable debates once you get inside a speaker you generally have 100 feet+ of bog standard copper (or indeed aluminium) cable in the drive unit voice coil (for our Radiance and Reference Series' you can double that because they're dual-wound on both sides of the former). No matter how flash the internal wiring between crossover and drive unit may be you still have to use a lot of relatively thin wire for that voice coil to get the required winding.

When it comes down to it If you think the cable between your gear has a drastic effect on the sound then buy something you think will make your system perform at its best and be happy with it, if not then just use something thick enough for the required length and you'll probably be ok anyway. :)

Paddyfin

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
From an electricians point of view, 6mm = cooker cable....... 10mm= shower cable ......16mm and 25mm fuse boards and house main intake cable, any bigger than that power stations maybe? :rofl:

Maybe what you need is quality not quantity?

besides I've known people to go mad over cable I was always told 10% of the cost of your system should be spent on cables etc

however if you want to try 6mm go ahead you have nothing to lose :cheers:

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You really need AEJim to confirm you are right? Are you that desperate for affirmation? "Please sir, please sir.."

You are either 100% certain in your own mind or you're not. If you are 100% certain already then what AEJim thinks about this and that doesn't matter, surely? Well not unless you are simply attempting to garner AEJim's support as 'an authority' in a continuing attempt at being as condescending as possible to members of this forum that have other ideas...which at the very least could be seen as rather childish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts