Question Do I need to be more careful when using pure copper wires instead of more common aluminium wires?

90110n

Dec 27, 2023
Visit site
Just bought several meters of pure copper "speaker wire" (1.5mm) in the hardware store, and they were labeled over and over with warnings like "only to be installed by qualified electricians", "only intended to be used in conjunction with HIGH POWER AMPS", etc. (Germany, for reference, so EU regulations apply).

I ignored them thinking it probably doesn't matter for those two 60W speakers I got lying around, especially if I connect them to a simple 50W fosi amp (by far not a 1000W HIGH POWER amp or anything of that sort).

Now that I actually began wiring up everything I'm not sure sure anymore, though... So, do I need to be any more careful when using PURE copper wires instead of the more common aluminium wires?

For reference, I'm not exactly wiring them up professionally (yet), just using a quick and dirty solution with sticky tape (see pictures). The cabling is fixed to the ceiling with the tape, and goes into the back of a shelf (through a gap in the backside).

Attachments

• 20231227_183943.jpg
    20231227_183943.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231227_183934.jpg
    20231227_183934.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231227_183852.jpg
    20231227_183852.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 6

Vincent Kars

A wire should have sufficient gauge in relation to its use.
If not it becomes hot and if the load is really excessive , it simply melts. This of course is a fire risk.
As the resistance of copper is lower than aluminium , theoretically aluminium (probably aluclad) is a higher risk.
"only intended to be used in conjunction with HIGH POWER AMPS"
I'm afraid you misinterpreted this.
It is speaker wire so a thin isolation.
Only to be used with low voltage devices like indeed power amps.
Don't use this wire with 240V devices is what they are trying to convey.

Gray

...do I need to be any more careful when using PURE copper wires instead of the more common aluminium wires?
No you don't.
(And copper conductors are more common anyway).

As Vincent says above, it seems they're just (ambiguously) warning you against using the cable for mains electricity.

And the bit about qualified electricians just adds to the confusion.
The majority of people that install speaker wire are not qualified electricians.

(They mean well with the warning though).

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Dom

What I would say is speaker wire are metal conductors without any resistance.

You should have no trouble using them whether they are copper or aluminium.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts